
Moscow targeted by ‘30 drones’ as Ukraine war reaches Russia’s capital
Ukraine has denied direct involvement in a series of early morning drone attacks in Moscow that brought the war to the heart of Russia. Sergei Sobyanin, the capital’s mayor, said that two people were hurt - but not seriously injured - in the strikes. Buildings were also damaged. It was the first time Moscow has been targeted by multiple drone attacks since Russian president Vladimir Putin ordered his illegal invasion of Ukraine on 24 February last year. The strikes came as Russia launched another round of attacks on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv, where one person has been killed and four injured by falling debris. Where did the strike attacks take place? Residents in Moscow - which is about 530km from the most northwesterly point in Ukraine, beyond the city of Sumy - reported hearing explosions around 6:24am and 6:58 local time. Some filmed a drone being shot down and a plume of smoke rising over the Moscow skyline. Early media reports said that as many as 30 drones had been involved in the attack - Russia’s defence ministry said it shot down eight. RBC reported that three buildings had been hit by the drones: two near southern Moscow’s Leninsky Prospekt, and a third in the town of Moskovskiy, close to Vnukovo Airport. The areas are known to be some of the more wealthy neighborhoods in the Russian capital. A senior Russian lawmaker said three of the drones had been downed over the capital’s exclusive Rublyovka suburb, which is home to Russia’s political and business elite and where Mr Putin has an official residence. Where did the drones come from? Drones, remote-controlled or preprogrammed, have been used extensively in battle to gather intelligence, direct artillery strikes and, to a lesser extent, drop explosives. It remained unclear on Tuesday afternoon where exactly the drones used in the attack on Moscow had been launched from. There are many different types of drones and Ukraine has several at its disposal, including the Turkish Bayraktar TB2, which has been used by Kyiv’s troops on Russian targets. Ukraine also has Switchblade drones, Phoenix Ghost drones and DJI Mavic 3 drones. According to the Military Today website, the TB2 has a range of up 300km (186m). The Switchblade drones have a range of over 40km (24m) and the Phoenix Ghost has a similar range. The DJI Mavic 3 drone have a range of around 15km. Was it the first drone attack on Russia since the invasion? There have been sporadic drone attacks on targets in Russia since February last year, although those on Tuesday morning were the first multiple strikes aimed at the capital. Earlier this month an oil storage depot in Russia exploded after coming under attack from a drone. A tank containing tons of fuel burst into flames at a port near Volna village on the Black Sea, close to a key bridge linking Russia to the annexed Crimea peninsula, on 3 May. Ukraine also denied direct responsibility for that strike. What has Russia said? Russia’s defence ministry blamed Ukraine for what it called a "terrorist" attack and claimed it had shot down all of the drones. The defence ministry said that eight drones had attacked the Russian capital. Baza, a Telegram channel with links to the security services, said that more than 25 drones were involved. Later on Tuesday Russia’s foreign ministry Tuesday said it reserved the right to take the most "severe measures" in response to a drone attack on the capital Moscow earlier in the day. "Assurances by NATO officials that the Kyiv regime will not launch strikes deep into Russian territory prove to be completely hypocritical," the ministry said in a statement. "Russia reserves the right to take the harshest possible measures in response to the terrorist attacks by the Kyiv regime," it added. What has Ukraine said? Ukrainian presidential aide Mykhailo Podolyak said that Kyiv was watching the strike "with enjoyment" and predicted more such attacks, even as he denied Ukraine’s involvement. Read More Watch live: Kyiv mayor visits attack sites after overnight strikes Ukraine-Russia war – live: Drone attack hits Moscow after Putin targets Kyiv again Ukraine warns of revenge attacks after wave of Russian missile strikes on Kyiv The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-05-30 22:04

Find flexible remote jobs with a one-year subscription to FlexJobs for $30
TL;DR: As of September 13, get a FlexJobs 1-Yr Subscription for only $29.99 — a
2023-09-13 17:00

Expert shares what happens to your body when ditching alcohol for Sober October
An expert has lifted the lid on what happens to your body when you take part in Sober October. Sober October is a movement dedicated to ditching alcohol for the entire month and is often tied to raising money for charity. In the UK, people donate to Macmillan Cancer Support to provide "much-needed physical, financial and emotional support to the millions of people living with cancer." In Australia, the month is known as 'Ocsober', with funds going to the Life Education Australia organisation. When taking part in the initiative, Drinkaware CEO Karen Tyrel says people are able to sleep much better and overall boosts moods. Speaking to the Daily Mail, she said skin will be glowing by the second week, leaving a brighter, healthier complexion. By the third week, people may have shifted a few pounds in weight. "A typical pint of lager contains the same number of calories as a slice of pizza, and a large glass of wine the same as an ice cream sundae," she told the outlet. "Therefore, not drinking makes it easier to maintain a healthy weight." The fourth and final week is said to reduce your risk of cancer and liver disease. It comes after a staggering 40 per cent of Gen Zers said they would consider giving up booze for good. Data from Voxburner’s UK Youth Trends Report recently found that 40 per cent of 18–24-year-olds would consider giving up alcohol completely, while 60 per cent said they would abstain from alcohol specifically for health and wellness reasons. This is widely discussed across TikTok, with many sharing their experiences of 'hangxiety,' putting them off alcohol for good. Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-10-08 22:40

Braves recall Soroka, right-hander will make his first home start since Aug. 3, 2020
Michael Soroka will make his first start at Truist Park in nearly three years after the Atlanta Braves recalled him from Triple-A Gwinnett to face the Miami Marlins
2023-07-01 04:04

Ten players with the most Premier League goal contributions pre-November international break
Erling Haaland, Mohamed Salah and the ten players with the most Premier League goal contributions so far this season.
2023-11-21 08:05

US needs win to ensure Americans avoid elimination in group play for first time in Women's World Cup
The United States arrived at the Women’s World Cup as the favorites to win an unprecedented third consecutive title
2023-07-31 15:32

Fans defend Dolly Parton for wearing Dallas Cowboys cheerleader outfit at halftime show
Dolly Parton has reminded fans that age is just a number after putting on a halftime show performance in an iconic Dallas Cowboys cheerleader outfit. The country music legend, 77, performed on Thursday’s NFL game between the Washington Commanders and host Dallas Cowboys. For the Thanksgiving match, Parton took to the field to sing “Jolene”, “9 to 5” and her own rendition of “We Are The Champions” by Queen. While Parton put on a dazzling performance, it was her Dallas Cowboys cheerleader outfit that seemed to capture everyone’s attention. The singer was seen at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, wearing a modified version of the classic cheerleader outfit. Her look included the team’s signature blue cropped top, a white starry vest, and matching white mini shorts. Underneath the crop top and shorts, Parton was dressed in a sheer, bedazzled catsuit. Following her halftime show performance, fans immediately took to social media to share their thoughts on Parton’s memorable fashion moment. “If there’s one thing we can count on in this world, it’s that Dolly is going to give iconic looks and performances until the moment she ascends to heaven,” one fan wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. “You know who’s a national treasure? #DollyParton. That’s who,” said another fan. However, it didn’t take long for some online trolls to criticise her Dallas Cowboys cheerleader outfit, as one user pointed out: “Some people are slinging insults at Dolly because she’s 77 years old and doesn’t act like an old lady.” In response, many people praised Parton for unapologetically dressing the way she wants - no matter her age. “Dolly Parton is 77 and wearing whatever the hell she wants. I love her,” said one fan. “Dolly Parton looks better at 77 than I have in my entire life,” someone else wrote. Some fans even noted how CBS commentator and former Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo seemed to gush over Parton’s performance after the halftime show. “She looks amazing,” Romo said during the NFL broadcast. “She’s wonderful. Who doesn’t like Dolly Parton?” Throughout her career, the country music icon has been known to show off some unforgettable fashion - from her signature rhinestone jackets to her big, blonde tresses. In fact, Parton recently revealed that she was asked to “tone down” her style early on in her career. During the four-part series What Would Dolly Do? Radio on Apple Music and Apple Podcasts, she revealed that her “dear friend” and fellow musician Chet Atkins once suggested she soften her appearance. “He said, ‘Dolly, I really don’t believe that people are going to take you serious as a singer and songwriter unless you tone down your look,’” Parton recalled to host Kelleigh Bannen. “I said, ‘Well, okay. I’ll take that to heart, Mr Atkins. Thank you for your advice.’ And of course, I just got worse with it.” “Years later, after I became a star, he sidled up beside me and said, ‘Now ain’t you glad you listened to my good advice?’” she continued. When asked by Bannen what she would tell someone today if they asked her to change her appearance, Parton fittingly replied: “I’d say, ‘Go to hell. I ain’t doing it.’” The “I Will Always Love You” singer went on to express that someone’s personal style should simply be whatever “makes you happy”. “My true belief with most things, you’ve got to really find out who you are, what makes you happy, what you’re comfortable in, and if you feel like you look your best, according to your rules, then you are going to do your best,” Parton said. “I really believe that. And I think everybody has their own little things they love. To me, that is what fashion is.” Read More Birth of endangered rhino calf caught on camera at Chester Zoo Taylor Swift expertly recovers from wardrobe malfunction during Eras Tour in Brazil Mullets are officially back. And, no, we haven’t lost our minds Birth of endangered rhino calf caught on camera at Chester Zoo Taylor Swift expertly recovers from wardrobe malfunction during Eras Tour in Brazil Mullets are officially back. And, no, we haven’t lost our minds
2023-11-25 00:54

Major WhatsApp update enables secret chats
WhatsApp has unveiled a major update that will allow users to hide intimate conversations in a secret folder. The Chat Lock feature, which parent company Meta announced on Monday, means selected messages can only be accessed with a password or biometric identification, like a fingerprint or face scan. Any incoming messages will also be hidden on the receiver’s phone or computer screen to prevent bystanders from seeing what they say or who they are from. “We believe this feature will be great for people who share their phones from time to time with a family member, or in moments where someone else is holding your phone at the exact moment an extra-special chat arrives,” Meta wrote in a blog post announcing the WhatsApp update. “Over the next few months, we’re going to be adding more options for Chat Lock, including locks for companion devices and creating a custom password for your chats so that you can use a unique password different from your phone’s.” The new WhatsApp feature will be rolling out globally this week to more than 2 billion people who use the messaging app. “New locked chats in WhatsApp make your conversations more private,” Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg wrote in a post on Facebook. “They’re hidden in a password protected folder and notifications won’t show sender or message content.” The latest update comes just days after widespread concerns emerged from WhatsApp users about a “creepy” feature relating to the app’s privacy settings. Messages on people’s phones appeared to show that WhatsApp was listening to users while they were asleep, with notifications of the app activating the device’s microphone displayed on the privacy menu within Google’s Android operating system. WhatsApp blamed the issue on a bug within Android, claiming it would never access a user’s microphone without their consent. “Users have full control over their mic settings,” WhatsApp posted in response to a tweet about the issue. “Once granted permission, WhatsApp only accesses the mic when a user is making a call or recording a voice note or video – and even then, these communications are protected by end-to-end encryption so WhatsApp cannot hear them.” Read More Creepy WhatsApp update sparks fears users are being listened to through their phone
2023-05-16 16:51

Wagner chief turns troops back from Moscow ‘to avoid bloodshed’ in Russian city
Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin has turned his troops back from Moscow to “avoid bloodshed” in the Russian city. In an audio message, the mercenary group leader said his soldiers would return to their bases, in a dramatic U-turn just hours before they were expected to reach the city. He said he gave the order to turn back from their advance on Moscow “because of the risk of blood being spilled”. The announcement appeared to defuse a growing crisis as Moscow braced for the arrival of the private army led by the rebellious commander. It comes as President Vladimir Putin had vowed he would face harsh consequences for what he described as a mutinous assault on Russia. Mr Prigozhin said his men were just 120 miles from Moscow but he had decided to turn them back to avoid “shedding Russian blood”. He did not say if the Kremlin has responded to his demand to oust defence minister Sergei Shoigu. The announcement follows a statement from the office of Belarusian president Alexander Lukashenko saying that he had negotiated a deal with Mr Prigozhin after previously discussing the issue with Mr Putin. Mr Prigozhin has accepted Mr Lukashenko’s offer to halt the Wagner group’s advance and further steps to de-escalate the tensions, Mr Lukashenko’s office said, adding that the proposed settlement contains security guarantees for Wagner troops. More follows... Read More Russia-Ukraine war live: Wagner boss turns troops back from Moscow as Kremlin denies Putin has fled Moscow tells residents ‘stay at home’ as Wagner rebels edge closer to Russian city Kremlin denies Putin has fled Moscow as Russia president’s plane ‘disappears’ Mapped: Inside Russian Wagner group’s location and road towards Moscow
2023-06-25 02:06

Will Elon Musk compete against Joe Rogan? Twitter to challenge Spotify by launching 3-hour podcast feature
Comedian Theo Von's tweet about the platform's comic inflexibility piqued Elon Musk's interest
2023-07-04 13:57

Colombia’s Avianca Abandons Integration Plan With Viva Air
Avianca Holdings SA, Colombia’s largest airline, said it won’t continue its integration plan with low-cost carrier Viva Air
1970-01-01 08:00

Wife's cancer almost prevented Monty Williams from taking Pistons job
Monty Williams says he took himself out of the running for the Detroit Pistons’ coaching job after his wife, Lisa, was diagnosed with breast cancer
2023-06-14 07:24
You Might Like...

Rhode Island and Utah hold special election primaries for House seats

Dollar gains before Fed meeting, inflation data

Russia's ruble has tumbled. What does it mean for the wartime economy?

Qatar signs 27-year gas deal with Britain's Shell

French soldiers charged with failing to help 27 people who drowned trying to cross the Channel

'He will somehow harm me': 'Family Feud' murder victim Becky Bliefnick lived final days in fear

Angel Hernandez Had a Particularly Bad Call During Blue Jays-Rockies

'AGT' Season 18: Who is 40 pounds? CEO of Lyve Tyme dance group wows judges with hat-flipping routine