
Russia should expect more drone attacks on its soil after latest Moscow strike, Ukraine warns
Russia has been warned that it will face more drone attacks – after a Moscow high-rise housing a number of government ministries was hit for the second time in three days. An adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky, Mykhailo Podolyak, tweeted that the Kremlin will soon "collect all of their debts" over the invasion of Ukraine with further strikes on Russian soil. While Ukraine stops short of directly claiming such attacks, of which there have been a flurry in recent weeks, officials often show their satisfaction and seek to undermine Russia in any way they can as Kyiv's forces press on with their counteroffensive. "Moscow is rapidly getting used to a full-fledged war," Mr Podolyak wrote on X, the social media platform previously known as Twitter. He said Russia should expect "more unidentified drones, more collapse, more civil conflicts, more war". The building that was hit by the drone is known as the "IQ quarter", which houses the Russian ministry of economic development, the digital ministry and the ministry of industry and trade. While the repeated drone incidents have not caused casualties or major damage, they have provoked widespread unease and are an embarrassment for Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Kremlin, which is constantly seeking to give the impression to the country's citizens that its invasion – now nearly 18 months long – is proceeding according to Moscow's plan. "In this situation, any place can be hit, so it is quite hard to feel 100% safe... We don't know what will hit us and where," Moscow Alexander Gusev, 67, told Reuters. "Indeed, a threat exists, it is obvious, but measures are being taken," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters, declining to comment further. In a statement, the Russian defence ministry claimed to have thwarted what it labelled an "attempted terrorist attack" and downed two drones west of the Moscow city centre. It said another one was foiled by jamming equipment and went "out of control". Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said that was the drone that hit the same tower that had been struck on Sunday. "The facade has been damaged on the 21st floor. Glazing was destroyed over 150 square metres," Mr Sobyanin said. Vnukovo airport, one of three major airports serving the capital, briefly shut down but later resumed full operations. Elsewhere, Ukrainian regional officials said a doctor was killed and five medical workers were wounded in Russian shelling of a hospital in the southern city of Kherson. "Today at 11.10am [local time] the enemy launched another attack on the peaceful residents of our community," military administration head Roman Mrochko wrote on the Telegram messaging app. Regional governor Oleksandr Prokudin said four medical workers had been wounded in addition to a badly wounded nurse whose injuries were reported earlier. Mr Mrochko said the young doctor had only worked in his job for a few days and that doctors were fighting for the life of the nurse. Meanwhile, Russia also claimed it had stopped attacks by sea drones on its navy ships, plus civilian vessels in the Black Sea. Mr Podolyak later said that such statements were "fictitious" and that "Ukraine has not attacked, is not attacking and will not attack civilian vessels, nor any other civilian objects". Mr Podolyak said nothing of attacks on Russian navy ships, which Ukraine considers legitimate targets given the invasion it is battling. Moscow has said it would treat any ships leaving or entering Ukrainian ports as valid targets after it ended a deal for Ukraine to export its grain through Black Sea last month. Russia has since struck Ukrainian ports and grain infrastructure repeatedly. Kyiv has previously used drones to target Russia's navy base in Crimea and the bridge that Russia has built to the peninsula. Russia illegally annexed Crimea from Ukraine in 2014, and Kyiv has pledged to recover it along with other territory seized by Moscow since its full-scale invasion began last February. Late on Tuesday, the Moscow-installed governor of the Sevastopol district of Crimea said a drone had been shot down there too. Reuters contributed to this report Read More The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary What would ECOWAS’ threat to use force to restore democracy in Niger look like? Mapped: The latest strikes on Ukraine and Russia as war rages on BP profits are cut in half to $2.6 billion as oil and natural gas prices fall
2023-08-02 00:46

Amazon is changing its deliveries behind the scenes to cut shipping times
Amazon is revamping its delivery operations in an effort to cut costs while speeding up shipping times to the next day or sooner.
1970-01-01 08:00

Who is Alexi Fabrey? Troy Bohling's ex-GF says man who pushed students down German ravine was 'never rude or hurtful' to her
Troy Bohling, 30, has been accused of murdering Eva Liu, 21, and injuring 22-year-old Kelsey Chang
2023-06-22 20:48

Trafficked Olympic champion Mo Farah joins UN migration agency
Four-time Olympic gold medal winner Mo Farah, who was born in Somalia and trafficked to Britain as a child, joined the UN migration agency on Tuesday...
2023-11-29 00:53

23andMe Hackers Accessed Over 14,000 Customer Accounts
23andMe says that hackers were able to access a “significant number of files associated with
2023-12-03 05:21

CeeDee Lamb was near NFL receiving history with Cowboys blowing out Giants. Coaches let him get it
Dallas Cowboys coaches decided to give CeeDee Lamb a shot at NFL receiving history when they found out he was close in the fourth quarter of a blowout victory over the New York Giants
2023-11-14 08:04

Malawi's President Chakwera bans himself and his cabinet from foreign travel
Money-saving measures are announced by President Lazarus Chakwera following IMF funding.
2023-11-16 19:32

'He needs the money': WWE fans thank SAG-AFTRA strike as The Rock returns to the ring amid Maui fund backlash
After a long absence from WWE, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson made his much awaited return to the ring on an episode of 'SmackDown' in Denver, Colorado
2023-09-16 19:43

Benjamin Pavard is on the verge of joining Inter Milan, Bayern Munich's CEO says
Bayern Munich chief executive Jan-Christian Dreesen says defender Benjamin Pavard will undergo medical tests at Inter Milan ahead of an expected transfer to the Italian club
2023-08-30 19:16

Wolves open to selling Max Kilman despite rejecting Napoli offer
Wolves have rejected a big offer from Napoli for centre-back Max Kilman, but would be open to selling for the right price.
2023-07-03 23:25

Valorant Critical Error Crash Dump: How to Fix
To fix the Valorant critical error crash dump issue, players must update their PC, game, and graphic drivers to avoid any further crashes.
2023-10-05 00:56

A 'City of Atlantis' has been discovered after being lost for 600 years
The remains of a church from a sunken town known as the 'Atlantis of the North Sea' has been discovered beneath the mud on Germany's coast. The church is believed to be part of a site called 'Rungholt' located in the Wadden Sea. The town, which was previously thought to be a local legend, has not been seen since 1362 after it was submerged beneath the waves during an intense storm. However, new research has shown that the town really did exist and that they had built reinforcements around the settlement to protect them from the severe elements. The research was carried out on the area by archeologists from Kiel University, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, the Center for Baltic and Scandinavian Archaeology, and the State Archaeology Department Schleswig-Holstein. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Searching the Wadden Sea which is the longest stretch of intertidal sand and mud flats on Earth, the team, using geophysical imaging technology found man-made mounds that had been constructed to protect the town against the tides. Amongst this structure were the foundations of a building which the team determined had to be a church which may have been the location of the town centre. In a statement, Dr. Dennis Wilken, a geophysicist at Kiel University of Kiel University said: "Settlement remains hidden under the mudflats are first localized and mapped over a wide area using various geophysical methods such as magnetic gradiometry, electromagnetic induction, and seismics." Dr. Hanna Hadler from the Institute of Geography at Mainz University added: "Based on this prospection, we selectively take sediment cores that not only allow us to make statements about spatial and temporal relationships of settlement structures, but also about landscape development." Dr. Ruth Blankenfeldt, an archaeologist at ZBSA also suggested that the "special feature of the find lies in the significance of the church as the centre of a settlement structure, which in its size must be interpreted as a parish with superordinate function." The storm that washed away Rungholt has gone down in history as one of the largest to ever hit the region, affecting not just Germany but also the Netherlands, Denmark and the UK. The storm happened on January 1362 and has since been referred to as "the great drowning of men." According to historical reports, Rungholt was once a busy trading port for fishermen but was also populated by taverns, brothels and churches. Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-05-31 17:17
You Might Like...

Barcelona explore sensational Neymar return as PSG set price for Brazilian superstar

Cardinals rally for 7-5 win over the Cubs to split London series

MLB rumors: Juan Soto trade buzz, Cubs sleeping giant awakes, Angels trying to save more

South Korea Asks Japan for Role in Fukushima Water Monitoring

PGA Tour Says It Will Offer Equity Ownership to Players

Europe's central bank is set to pile on another rate increase. Is it the last in a record series?

Saudi Arabia and Russia are cutting oil supply again in bid to boost prices

Record number of Americans plan on traveling abroad in the next 6 months