
Bovington Tank Museum becomes unlikely YouTube hit with more views than the Louvre
Who needs the Louvre in Paris or The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City when you've got Bovington Tank Museum? That's the opinion that YouTube have at least after the quaint military museum in Dorset became an unlikely hit on the video site, racking up more than 100 million views, more the the two aforementioned art institutes. The museum, simply known as 'The Tank Museum' currently has more than 500,000 subscribers to its YouTube channel. At the time of writing the channel has more than 400 videos with some of the most popular being short documentaries on the history of such tanks as 'The War Horse' and 'King Tiger' which both have more than 2 million views each. As per the New York Times, the channel is the first ever museum to achieve more than 550,000 subscribers on YouTube and the first to have more than 100 million views. The museum was founded in 1923 but much of its success in the digital age has come via viewers in the United States and Canada who have become entranced by series on the channel such as top 5 lists and 'Tank Chat.' Top 5 Tanks | Chris Copson | The Tank Museum www.youtube.com One of the stars of the channel is the museum's education officer and full-time presenter Chris Copson who told the BBC that he would never have dreamed "in a million years" that he would become an online celebrity and says that he has even been recognised in the street. Nik Wyness, the museum’s head of marketing, admitted to NY Times that the YouTube phenomenon has helped the museum financially and generated a third of their revenue last year, which helped boost merchandise sales on their online store. It's not just YouTube where things are thriving for the Tank Museum. Their TikTok account is also growing with an impressive 320,000 followers so far. Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-09-15 17:37

Verstappen calls Ocon a ‘stupid idiot’ in F1 Las Vegas Grand Prix qualifying tussle
Max Verstappen called Esteban Ocon a “stupid idiot” following a scuffle between the pair at the F1 Las Vegas Grand Prix qualifying race on Saturday morning (18 November). There was a lot of jostling before Turn 14 to try and make a gap, with both Ocon and Verstappen involved. Verstappen looks to dive down the inside into Turn 1, ruining both of their laps. Ocon says: “It’s a joke honestly. Verstappen diving into Turn 1 like crazy.” Verstappen says: “What a stupid idiot.” Read More Usain Bolt declares ‘the speed is great’ as he attends F1 Las Vegas Grand Prix Why Everton have been handed 10 point deduction as Premier League takes FFP stand Watch: Sparks fly as Sainz’s Ferrari hits drain cover on Las Vegas F1 circuit
2023-11-18 17:10

Exclusive-Glencore's bid for Teck spurs call for Canada pensions to up domestic equity stake
By Divya Rajagopal TORONTO Glencore's hostile bid for Teck Resources has galvanized some Canadian institutional investors, who have
2023-05-16 18:06

Chelsea’s Academy stars can rise to Carabao Cup challenge – Mauricio Pochettino
Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino is confident the club’s Academy stars can rise to the challenge when handed a chance to impress in Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup tie against AFC Wimbledon. Pochettino is set to fully utilise all the options at his disposal for the visit of the Sky Bet League Two side, looking to manage the workload on a squad which is already depleted by injury. Forward Mason Burstow, midfielder Lesley Ugochukwu and Noni Madueke have all come off the bench in the Premier League this season so could be handed a start, while Diego Moreira and defender Bashir Humphreys may also be involved. Whatever side he selects, Pochettino has no doubt the talented teenagers will have what it takes to make the step up. “We are thinking to start with 11 players that can perform in the way that we want,” Pochettino told a press conference. “(We want to be) right in our assessment, in our risk because you have many injuries and the squad is not big at the moment. “We are going to use four or five young guys from the academy – 17 years old, 16 years old – but Chelsea has always produced good talent, young kids and now is a good opportunity. “It is not because it is our philosophy at the moment, it is because we need to bring young guys to the first team because we have some players that cannot play tomorrow. “But I think it should be good to create the possibility for the young guys to be part of the project, part of producing players for the first team because the Academy and the coaches there are working so hard. “For a club like Chelsea, it is always good to have players from the Academy that can translate the identity of the club.” Pochettino refused to be drawn on continued transfer speculation, with defender Marc Cucurella reportedly subject of interest from Manchester United. “I cannot talk about supposition or rumours. For tomorrow he (Cucurella) is going to be able to play,” the Chelsea boss said. “The club did not communicate (anything else) to me. All of the players that are in our squad are in our plans even if they didn’t play at the moment.” With Chelsea not involved in European football this season, Pochettino intends to focus on just one thing – winning matches, whatever the competition. “I want to win the Carabao Cup, I want to win the FA Cup and I want to win the Premier League, then we will see what happens after,” the former Tottenham boss said. “Even if we are involved in the next few years in the Champions League or different European competitions – every single one is going to be a challenge for us and an opportunity to win.” Chelsea, who beat Luton on Friday night for a first Premier League win of the new season, have agreed a season-long loan deal with Roma for Romelu Lukaku. The Blues have already spent around £350million on new arrivals during the transfer window and have been linked with bringing in at least one more attacking player – with Arsenal’s Emile Smith Rowe reportedly on the radar. Pochettino said: “I know very well that the club is working very hard to try and finish our business with still a few days, so I think that will happen, maybe yes (another player). “At the moment, we are working to try and deliver what we want, but there is nothing to communicate at the moment.” Pochettino added: “If we had someone who can maybe improve different positions, of course they are welcome, but I am happy with how we are now.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live British athletes and staff left stranded in Budapest after World Championships US Open day one: Djokovic and Swiatek ease through as Brit Lily Miyazaki shines On this day in 2007: Sir Andrew Strauss resigns as England Test captain
2023-08-29 21:23

Paul Walker's daughter Meadow honors her late father's legacy with 'Fast X' cameo
Paul Walker's daughter, model Meadow Walker Thornton-Allan, is honoring her late father's legacy by making a cameo in the upcoming "Fast X" movie.
1970-01-01 08:00

Analysis-Santa's sleigh to be lighter as people buy fewer toys
By Richa Naidu and Aishwarya Venugopal LONDON Santa Claus may not have as much to give this year
2023-11-15 14:11

Former key Trump attorney says he left because of legal team infighting
Former Donald Trump attorney Timothy Parlatore, who departed the former president's legal team earlier this week, said Saturday he left because of infighting among the group.
2023-05-21 05:09

W.Africa military chiefs to discuss Niger crisis Thursday and Friday
Military chiefs from the West African bloc ECOWAS will meet in Ghana on Thursday and Friday to discuss possible intervention in Niger, military and political...
2023-08-15 18:28

What the New UK Alcohol Duties Mean for Your £10 Bottle of Wine
You would expect a £10 ($13) bottle of wine to be a little better than a £7 bottle.
2023-08-01 18:23

Roller Champions Ranks: Full List
Here's a breakdown of the ranks in Roller Champions.
1970-01-01 08:00

Millions of kids are missing weeks of school as attendance tanks across the US
Nationwide, students have been absent at record rates since schools reopened after COVID-forced closures
2023-08-11 12:15

Greek PM to 'persist' with UK over Parthenon Marbles
Greece's prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said Sunday he would push for the return of the Parthenon Marbles when he meets UK leader Rishi...
2023-11-26 19:19
You Might Like...

Arsenal learn worrying extent of Gabriel Martinelli injury

Asia shares struggle to shake off China blues

Shorting Ban Drives South Korea Stock Bears to Futures Market

PSG coach Luis Enrique faces tough challenge, with uncertainty over Mbappe and Neymar

Jurgen Klopp's half-time team talk that inspired Liverpool comeback at Wolves

PGMOL rejects Ben Foster’s claim that referees pressured Sky Sports into VAR cover-up

Northwestern suspends head football coach for 2 weeks following investigation into hazing allegations

3 Los Angeles Lakers who definitely won't be back next season