A lawsuit by TikTok users challenging Montana's ban is being funded by the social media company itself
A high-profile lawsuit brought by TikTok users and creators last month challenging Montana's statewide ban against the short-form video app is being funded by the social media giant itself, the company told CNN on Wednesday.
2023-06-29 00:18
Pelicans say Trey Murphy has arthroscopic surgery and is likely out 10-12 weeks
The New Orleans Pelicans says forward Trey Murphy III has undergone arthroscopic surgery to repair his meniscus and is expected to return to “basketball activities” in 10 to 12 weeks
2023-09-08 07:03
The cold truth: Tyson Fury was humiliated by a ‘table-tennis champion’
When Tyson Fury claimed, days out from his fight with Francis Ngannou, that it would be like a “table-tennis champion” facing Novak Djokovic in a Wimbledon final, most fans agreed. And in the end, Fury was right – it’s just he’d gotten the labels the wrong way round. Because in the third round, it was Ngannou who clubbed him with all the might of a Djokovic backhand, and Fury’s miniature bat offered no defence whatsoever. As Fury lay on the canvas, the whites of his eyes bulging and outshining even the most ostentatious points of the evening’s opening ceremony in Riyadh, he was utterly humiliated. There really are no two ways about it. On this night in Saudi Arabia, Fury was hurt, disciplined, and embarrassed by Ngannou – the MMA star, the boxing debutant, one of the biggest underdogs in combat-sports history. The ‘Table Tennis champion of the world’, as Ngannou himself wrote on Instagram after this crossover contest. Even Andy Murray had to chime in, as Fury’s words came back to bite him with a little bit more venom. “How many points would the world No 1 squash player win vs the world No 1 tennis player, in a tennis match and vice versa?” tweeted the... well... former world No 1 tennis player. “I’m thinking close to zero for both… bad look for boxing.” In the strangest sense, it would have been better if Fury had been knocked out. At least then, the WBC heavyweight champion could have pointed to the pre-fight narrative that Ngannou’s only hope was that his notoriously hellacious power would conjure a stupefying moment of magic. Instead, the Cameroonian, 37, outboxed the Briton, 35, for phases of this fight – this boxing match, remember – and in the eyes of many in attendance, including legends of the boxing world, won enough rounds to beat Fury. Ultimately, Ngannou was denied on the scorecards, leading many viewers to echo a sentiment that has long sounded within boxing: that the underdog was never going to get the nod on a night like this, no matter how many rounds he’d seemingly taken. Yet the truth is this: As incomprehensibly well as the former UFC champion fought, this bout was razor close. Fury winning via split decision is not necessarily the wrong call. But the fact that those words even exist in that order on any medium, show that Ngannou was a victor – even if he wasn’t named the victor. Ngannou, in reality, was a victor when he escaped the sand quarry where he worked as a 10-year-old in Cameroon. He was a victor when he left prison in Spain after making it to Europe after numerous failed attempts, and when he honed his martial arts skills to the degree that he could finally leave poverty behind him, in Paris. He was a victor when he won the UFC heavyweight title, and an even greater victor when he boldly relinquished that belt and walked away from a contract that would have made him the highest-paid heavyweight in UFC history. He was a victor when he signed to fight Fury and secured a purse that eclipsed his entire UFC earnings, and he was a victor when he sent the lineal boxing heavyweight champion cascading to the canvas in Saudi Arabia – even if he wasn’t a victor when the scorecards were revealed. Fury, meanwhile, was a loser in victory. His undisputed-title clash with Oleksandr Usyk, with whom he shared the ring after ‘beating’ Ngannou, has been mooted for 23 December. It was seemingly Fury pushing for that date, while rumours suggested that Usyk would not be ready in time. But as they spoke to one another in the ring, it was the Ukrainian who demanded that they square off in two months, while Fury and his promoter distanced themselves from the date in question. Earlier this week, Fury suggested that he would “sue” Usyk if the 36-year-old did not fight him on 23 December. Now, Fury’s side are calling for January or February; so, they can expect to be sued, then? Almost certainly not, is the answer of course; there is no public proof that the date is mentioned in their contract, which is why it was silly for Fury to use it against Usyk in the first place. It is at least understandable that Fury’s team are pushing for the fight to take place next year, though. It is hard to imagine this version of Fury beating Usyk in December or at all, as different as the southpaw’s skills are when compared to Ngannou’s. And what was this version of Fury? Alongside his pre-fight table-tennis jibe, he claimed that he could have beaten Ngannou after drinking “25 pints of beer”. Here’s hoping the post-fight drug test included a breathalyzer. Read More Tyson Fury embarrassed by Francis Ngannou and the punch that changed boxing Usyk: ‘I was shouting advice to Tyson Fury’ during poor showing vs Francis Ngannou Francis Ngannou rematch or Oleksandr Usyk showdown? – Tyson Fury’s future plans Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk date in doubt as Francis Ngannou result changes plan Tyson Fury hints at next steps after Francis Ngannou victory Hearn makes bold Fury vs Joshua prediction after Ngannou win
2023-10-30 16:59
Justice Department proposes December trial date for Trump in classified documents case
The Justice Department has asked a judge to postpone until December the criminal trial of former President Donald Trump for retaining classified documents
2023-06-24 10:47
Elon Musk will give Wikipedia $1 billion if website agrees to childish name change
You know how anytime you go onto Wikipedia you're asked to donate? Elon Musk could get rid of that once and for all, on one condition. Wikipedia is run by a team of volunteers and is free to access. Volunteers help keep the site up to date as well as write numerous translations for various articles to increase the accessibility. Now, Elon Musk is offering the site $1 billion dollars, but only if they change their name. Musk, who clearly has the same humour as a 12-year-old, is prepared to give out a large cheque if Wikipedia becomes... 'D**kipedia'. Musk was seemingly inspired after seeing the standard appeal for donation on the site, although was unsure why the site was asking for money. "Have you ever wondered why the Wikimedia Foundation ants so much money?" The Twitter/X CEO asked. "It certainly isn't needed to operate Wikipedia. You can literally fit a copy of the entire text on your phone! "So, what's the money for? Inquiring minds want to know..." But a quick Google and Musk could have found the answer himself. Samantha Lien, a spokeswoman for the Wikimedia Foundation, told The Washington Post: "Based on guidance from the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, our reserve amounts to one year of operating budget. "If there were circumstances that affected our ability to raise those funds during that period, we could end up in an urgent situation - the reserve is a safety net to protect Wikipedia against such as possibility." Although, the large donation perhaps isn't the best use of Musk's money after his wealth dropped by $16 billion after shares in Tesla dropped by 9.3 percent since the company released its 2023 third-quarter earnings report. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-10-23 15:55
Citigroup has 'no room for bystanders' in reorganization, CEO says
By Tatiana Bautzer NEW YORK Citigroup CEO Jane Fraser said on Friday that top employees were on board
2023-09-30 00:01
The Quarry multiplayer was delayed due to war in Ukraine
The Quarry multiplayer was delayed due to war in Ukraine
1970-01-01 08:00
Israel festival revelers shot at point-blank range, video shows
Gaza militants who attacked an all-night music festival in southern Israel shot and killed revelers at point-blank range, then looted their belongings, new car dashcam video verified by CNN reveals.
2023-10-09 23:19
South Korea's Yoon to call for strong international response to North's nukes at ASEAN, G20 summits
South Korea’s president says he’ll tell world leaders about the need to faithfully enforce U.N. sanctions on North Korea when they converge in Indonesia and India for annual summits this week
2023-09-04 08:47
Springboks go with Kolbe, Arendse on wings to start Rugby World Cup defense vs. Scotland
South Africa has selected Cheslin Kolbe and Kurt-Lee Arendse on the wings for the opening game of its Rugby World Cup title defense against Scotland
2023-09-07 02:31
Are More Fortnite Retro Maps Coming to Creative 2.0?
Fortnite players can dive into retro maps in Creative 2.0 to revisit iconic POIs, like Tilted Towers and Loot Lake, in various Chapter 1 recreations.
1970-01-01 08:00
Australia holds historic Indigenous rights referendum
Australians are poised to reject greater rights and recognition for Indigenous citizens Saturday, voting in a referendum that has exposed deep fissures between the country's white majority and...
2023-10-14 01:10
You Might Like...
El Nino Raising Risk of Southeast Asia Haze Crisis This Year
Two Russian landing boats filled with armoured vehicles destroyed by Ukraine in ‘significant loss’ for Putin
3 biggest surprises from the Women's World Cup group stage thus far
El Nino is threatening rice crops while grain supplies already are squeezed by the war in Ukraine
Bangladesh Readies Higher Taxes in Budget in Test of IMF Reforms
Colombia’s Political Scandal Stokes Market-Beating Peso Rally
Foreign business lobbies warn working in China harder than ever
Country Garden bondholders in talks with law firm Ashurst about legal options -sources
