Wildest Britney Spears conspiracy theories that continue to fester online
Iconic pop star Britney Spears has been the subject of numerous online conspiracy theories that continue to fester and proliferate even today
2023-10-25 16:57
Who is Neama Rahmani? Legal expert says it's 'very hard' for Danny Masterson to win an appeal
Neama Rahmani said that the jury verdict was based on the credibility of the witnesses
2023-09-14 04:53
NATO chief appears likely to stay on as allies struggle to find a replacement for him
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg seems increasingly likely to have his term at the helm of the world’s biggest security organization extended yet again, as members struggle to agree on another candidate to replace him. Stoltenberg, a former Norwegian prime minister, has been NATO’s top civilian official since 2014. His term was due to expire last year but was extended for a second time to keep a steady hand at the helm after Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. President Joe Biden and his NATO counterparts are due to choose a successor when they meet for a summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, on July 11-12. No candidate has been proposed publicly, and leaders usually decide by consensus on who should be appointed. Stoltenberg held talks with Biden in Washington on Tuesday. According to a U.S. official familiar with the leaders’ conversations, Biden made clear that he thinks highly of some the possible candidates whose names have been privately floated to succeed him. The official said, however, Biden conveyed to the NATO secretary-general that it’s “becoming increasingly evident that there’s not going to be consensus” among NATO allies on picking a new leader, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private conversation. Biden made it clear to Stoltenberg that he would welcome him sticking around longer — particularly with no end in sight to the war in Ukraine and challenges to get Sweden approved as a member of the 31-nation alliance. “The president thinks Stoltenberg has done a remarkable job over the past year and a half leading the alliance during Russia’s invasion,” the official said. “He’s also quite comfortable with Stoltenberg hanging on. He thinks he’s been a very effective leader.” The official stopped short of saying that Biden asked Stoltenberg outright to stay on as NATO chief. Asked repeatedly Friday about his future at the helm, Stoltenberg said: “I have nothing more to say about this. I have stated again and again that I don’t seek an extension. I have no other plans than to end my work here, when my tenure ends this fall.” The U.S. official also said that Biden had spoken highly of Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen. NATO is keen to name a woman to the top post, and Denmark’s prime minister was thought to be a favorite after a meeting with Biden earlier this month. But in a televised interview on Thursday, Frederiksen said: “No, I am not on my way to NATO.” She did say that she would back Stoltenberg if he was willing to extend his mandate. German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius also made clear that he would back an extension for Stoltenberg if that became necessary. “If we don’t agree on a candidate for successor, NATO won’t be able to go without a secretary-general, and of course I am for an extension — particularly as I appreciate our cooperation,” he told reporters. Norwegian media said Friday that Biden has encouraged Stoltenberg to stay on. Norwegian public broadcaster NRK said it “had learned” that Biden’s message to Stoltenberg “was not to be misunderstood: Jens Stoltenberg must remain as Secretary General of NATO for a while longer.” The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has also ruled out her candidacy. Other possible names that were floated are Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and U.K. Defense Secretary Ben Wallace. ___ Madhani reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Jan M. Olsen in Copenhagen, Denmark. and Geir Moulson in Berlin contributed to this report. Read More Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide NATO moves to protect undersea pipelines, cables as concern mounts over Russian sabotage threat How significant is the reported recapture of the first Ukrainian villages? Support mounts for Stoltenberg to stay on in NATO's top job
2023-06-16 23:09
David De Gea says Manchester United are ready for one more ‘special’ battle
Manchester United have fought for success all year and David De Gea says they are ready for one more “special” battle against Manchester City in the FA Cup final. Erik ten Hag’s first season in charge has been one of progress and, for the most part, positivity, with the side finishing third in the Premier League and sealing a Champions League return. The Dutchman is only the second manager in United’s history to win a major trophy in his first season and has the chance to add to February’s Carabao Cup triumph this weekend. Ten Hag’s Red Devils head to Wembley for the first all-Manchester FA Cup final, when they will attempt to add to their cabinet and stop rivals City’s attempts to win the treble. “We have to recover well and start to prepare for the game,” De Gea said. “Of course, we know it’s a big final, a special game. “We’ve been the whole year fighting to be in that position to win titles and we will try absolutely everything to try to win.” De Gea and his team-mates were all in at Carrington on Monday morning, with Sunday’s starters focused on recovery from the 2-1 comeback win against Fulham at a bouncing Old Trafford. Kenny Tete had put the visitors ahead in the Premier League season finale and Marco Silva’s men would have extended their lead had Golden Glove winner De Gea not stopped Aleksandar Mitrovic’s spot-kick. United kicked on after that, with Jadon Sancho and Bruno Fernandes completing a victory that saw them beat Newcastle to third spot. “We concede the first goal from a corner and then I think five minutes after we concede a penalty,” De Gea, whose contract has yet to be extended beyond the summer, said. “I was very positive. I was feeling like ‘come on, you have to save this penalty, we have to finish properly the season at home, we have to win’. “Then I make the save, everyone was happy, enjoying and I helped the team to win the three points today. “The manager wants us to be focused every game, winning every game. Before the game he was shouting before ‘come on guys, we have to finish properly, winning mentality’. “So, yeah, we showed it again. 1-0 down, suffering a bit, but then we create chances and could have scored even more than two. “But, like I say, a big way to finish the season with a victory and (it) gives a bit of enjoyment to the fans.” The result saw United equal the club’s record of 27 home wins in all competitions in a single campaign, while also meaning they finished 17 points better off than last season. “100 per cent, for sure, the improvement is there,” De Gea told MUTV. “Of course we still have a gap to improve but, yeah, a massive improvement from last season. “Winning a cup, finish third – it’s never easy to finish in the Champions League places in England. “And then we have another final, a big final, so I think at the moment it is a great year.” As for Fulham, the defeat at Old Trafford was frustrating but this was a season to cherish having finished 10th on their return to the top-flight. Goalscoring right-back Tete said: “Unbelievable season, every single player. “If you saw how we fought all season for every single point. Not even one game was easy for us. “I am just proud of the boys. We said it as well to each other and this is something we have to build on. “We know now what our standard is, we know now what we can bring. I can’t wait for next season.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Fans celebrate Luton’s fairytale promotion to Premier League at civic parade Roberto De Zerbi says Brighton must build stronger squad for European challenge ‘We will be back’ says Leicester chairman following relegation
2023-05-29 23:00
Jenson Brooksby, an American tennis player, is suspended for 18 months for missing drug tests
American tennis player Jenson Brooksby has been given an 18-month suspension after an independent tribunal determined he missed three drug tests over the course of a year
2023-10-25 05:47
RBI Intervention Seen Averting Record Low for Rupee Before G-20
Sign up for the India Edition newsletter by Menaka Doshi – an insider's guide to the emerging economic
2023-09-07 16:01
Nottingham doctor fears for mother stuck in Sudan warzone
Khansa Adam says she wants the government to help get her mother away from the fighting in Khartoum.
2023-05-20 20:04
Katie Jane Hughes Created The Glass Skin Kit Of Our Dreams
As Refinery29’s resident CEO of Glow (a title I gave to myself and no one else knows about), it’s crucial that I find members of my clan of luminescent people. For those who have been told their entire lives they have too much highlighter on, I speak for you. But I couldn’t have made it to the top of the Glow Tower (created entirely of bottles of Pixi Glow Tonic) without the works of makeup artist Katie Jane Hughes, who shined and gleamed so I could glow.
2023-10-14 03:06
Pickering Energy Partners launches oil and gas investment banking unit
By David French Pickering Energy Partners (PEP) is launching a financial advisory unit for oil and gas dealmaking,
2023-09-01 19:05
Browns QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson evaluated for head injury after hit vs. Broncos
Cleveland quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson was evaluated for a head injury after he took a hard hit from Denver linebacker Baron Browning in the third quarter against the Broncos
2023-11-27 08:10
For The King II Announced for PC, Coming 2023
For The King II, Curve Games and IronOak Games' latest turn-based roguelike tabletop RPG, is set to release for PC (via Steam) in 2023.
1970-01-01 08:00
'The Shark Is Broken' review: 'Jaws' behind-the-scenes battles come to Broadway
On its surface, Jaws is about a killer shark terrorizing a beach town at the
2023-08-11 10:00
You Might Like...
Origin Energy to delay shareholder meeting on $10.6 billion Brookfield-led bid - source
Diablo 4's Least Played Class Might Surprise You
Unification Church in Japan offers to set aside up to $66 million in a compensation fund
Tristan Tate claims he was 'furious' after watching the trailer of upcoming movie Napoleon, Internet asks 'who gives a f**k?'
Artificial reefs could offer a new climate solution
Versatile forwards including Stewart, Wilson in WNBA playoffs reflect growth of women's game
Elon Musk says ‘Zuck is cuck’ as Threads inches closer to 100m users
Vlatko Andonovski gives USWNT injury update on Rose Lavelle & Megan Rapinoe
