
Best is yet to come – Mary Earps sure England will improve for Colombia clash
Goalkeeper Mary Earps vowed that “the best is yet to come” from England as they prepare to face Colombia in Saturday’s Women’s World Cup quarter-final in Sydney. The Lionesses will need to reach the final four without forward Lauren James, who has contributed three goals and three assists this tournament but will be serving the first of her two-match ban for the red card she was issued in England’s last-16 encounter with Nigeria. While Sarina Wiegman’s side have battled their way into this round, dominance has been largely replaced by dogged determination to grind out wins and keep the dream of lifting a first World Cup trophy alive. Earps said: “I think it’s an exciting time to be an England player for sure, but we have to earn that right every day. “And I think that we’re constantly looking to improve and drive performance and drive our standards and I think that that’s the best thing about it. We’re not sitting here, of course we’re happy that we’re here and grateful that we’re here, but we’re not satisfied, we’re not done, and there’s still more levels we want to go. “I really believe the best is yet to come. I think there’s so much talent in the group, and so many more levels we can go, I really do believe that.” Earps has so far conceded just one goal across four World Cup matches this tournament, save for the two spot-kicks that went past her in England’s dramatic 4-2 victory on penalties against Nigeria to set up this Colombia meeting. The 10-woman Lionesses survived 30 minutes of extra time to force those penalties after 21-year-old James was sent off late in the second half for stepping on the back of Nigeria’s Michelle Alozie, an act for which she later apologised. The red-card incident triggered an automatic one-match ban which was extended to two games on Thursday night by FIFA’s disciplinary committee, a decision which would make the Chelsea prodigy available for a potential England final on August 20. Wiegman confirmed the other 22 members of her squad are fit to play against Colombia, who boast their own youthful weapon in Real Madrid’s 18-year-old forward Linda Caicedo. While the Lionesses have benefitted from solid defending, they have looked less convincing in attack outside of their 6-1 victory over China in the group stage, with just one other goal – indeed from James – from open play. Earps’ feels her faith in her side to find another gear is justified by what the FIFA Best award-winning keeper sees from her team-mates every time they train at the Central Coast Stadium. Earps added: “I think the most important thing to note about that is the fact that we’ve been winning games. “We’re in a results business, and we’ve earned the right to be in the position we’re in today. But obviously I experience training every day, I know the players personally, and I’ve had the privilege of working with them for some time. “I can see it just day to day. I just can see the talent in the team. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think we’ve been bad by any means, but I think you have seen glimpses of what we’re capable of. “We as a team know the standard we want to get to. Our efforts have been 110 per cent and we’ve driven out and we’ve grinded out those results. “However, in terms of the way that we’d like to dominate games and the way that we’d like to go about our business. I think as a group, we’re excited by that challenge of knowing that we think we can do more.” Nigeria head coach Randy Waldrum hoped his side’s ability to hold England to a goalless draw for 120 minutes could serve as a “blueprint” for the Lionesses’ future opponents. That baton has now been passed to Colombia boss Nelson Abadia, who said: “To know all the history that England brings with football, this is important, but for me it’s important to perform on the pitch. “The optimism is the same that we have been having for every match. We know the conditions, we know the ability, we know what our team has and how they can face this match.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Liverpool set to break British transfer record with £110m Moises Caicedo deal Football rumours: Manchester City identify Jeremy Doku as Mahrez replacement On this day in 2008: Rebecca Adlington wins Olympic gold in Beijing
2023-08-11 16:55

Exclusive 'When Evil Lurks' clip teases mind-splitting terror
It should have been a quiet day on the farm. But something wicked is grazing
2023-10-24 00:00

NFL Rumors: 3 Teams that needs a Jaylon Johnson trade like air
Chicago Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson has quietly been one of the more talented and productive defensive backs in the NFL, despite the lack of interceptions.
2023-10-25 03:44

'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' is dropping a musical episode
If your favorite episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is "Once More, With Feeling," if
2023-07-23 22:05

Meta’s Threads to Raise Stakes for Snap, Pinterest
The arrival of Meta Platforms Inc.’s Twitter challenger further complicates the investment case for social media firms Snap
2023-07-13 21:34

Top two tiers of women’s football poised to break away from Football Association
The Women’s Super League (WSL) and Championship are preparing to break free from the Football Association after the top two tiers unanimously agreed to be governed by a new, independent body from next season. Former Nike and Citigroup executive Nikki Doucet has been appointed to lead the organisation, NewCo, effective immediately, and will oversee plans for all 24 clubs to move into the new governance structure ahead of the 2024-25 campaign. Each club who participates in the WSL and Championship will act as shareholders under the NewCo model, which has long been in the works and is seen as an important step in growing what an independent review concluded this summer has potential to become a billion-pound domestic women’s football industry within 10 years. Baroness Sue Campbell, the FA’s director of women’s football, said: “The women’s professional game is in the strongest place that it has ever been thanks to the hard work of everybody involved in its development so far, but we firmly believe that the NewCo will take it to another level entirely. “Each of our 24 clubs and the league itself wants the Barclays Women’s Super League and Barclays Women’s Championship to be setting the standards for women’s football around the world, and this venture into a new governing body is the next step in us achieving that ambition. “This is a historical moment for the women’s professional game in this country, and it is a move that will see our clubs and players make even bigger strides both on and off the pitch.” Former England international Karen Carney led the independent review into the women’s game, commissioned by the government in 2022, concluding in July that “women’s football is a start-up business.” This is a historical moment for the women’s professional game in this country, and it is a move that will see our clubs and players make even bigger strides both on and off the pitch Baroness Sue Campbell “If you’re starting something you have to have an influx of money. In 10 years’ time I really do believe this sport could be a billion-pound industry,” she said. NewCo, a restructure of power similar to the Premier League’s 20-club governance model, is viewed by many as a critical next phase in the commercial growth of the English women’s game. A working group chaired by Arsenal CEO Vinai Venkatesham, with Doucet serving as an independent consultant, led on developing the proposal for NewCo and involved 10 representatives from WSL and Championship clubs including Crystal Palace chair Steve Parish and Patrick Stewart, who earlier this month was appointed interim chief at Manchester United. Venkatesham added: “This is a pivotal moment in the history of the women’s professional game, as we look to work together to build the most distinctive, competitive and entertaining women’s football club competition in the world. “Setting up NewCo provides the opportunity to accelerate the sustainable growth of the women’s game and will not only support the development of the Barclays Women’s Super League and Barclays Women’s Championship, but the entirety of the women’s football pyramid. “It has been a constructive and collective effort to get to this stage, and Nikki’s appointment encapsulates the ambition we have for NewCo. With her vision for women’s football, the future is incredibly bright.” Read More Tom Daley back on British Swimming’s World Class Programme in Olympic boost ECB boss admits challenges remain for cricket after positive impact report Former Sheffield United and Everton defender Phil Jagielka announces retirement Bruno Fernandes excited for ‘amazing’ atmosphere at Galatasaray Man City unveil statue of club greats Mike Summerbee, Colin Bell and Francis Lee Football rumours: Juventus eyeing swoop for Thomas Partey
2023-11-28 23:30

Ukrainian sniper ‘breaks world record after killing Russian soldier nearly 2.5 miles away’
A Ukrainian sniper claims to have broken the world record by killing a Russian soldier almost 2.5 miles away, with a custom rifle called ‘Lord of the Horizon’. The previous record was held by a Canadian special operations sniper at a distance of 2.2 miles in Iraq in 2017. In a press statement, the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said: “The SBU sniper set a world record for a successful shot. “He hit a Russian soldier from an incredible distance. “SBU snipers are changing the rules of world sniping, demonstrating the ability to work effectively at fantastic distances.” Video footage apparently capturing the shot was shared on various Ukrainian media outlets, which appears to show the target falling several seconds after the sniper fires his weapon. The weapon used was developed and made by MAYAK and is said to fire bullets that travel faster than the speed of sound for nearly 10,000ft if used with the correct ammunition. The world record was once held by British sniper Craig Harrison, after he killed Taliban fighter in Afghanistan in 2009 from a distance of 1.54 miles. A separate record is held by another British sniper who killed six Taliban fighters with one shot after it triggered the suicide vest one of them was wearing. The world-record comes just a year after Ukraine almost broke the record when one of its snipers shot a Russian soldier from 1.7miles away, thought the be the world’s second-longest combat kill. Over the weekend, Ukrainian soldiers have been using high-speed jet skis to conduct attacks, with the country saying they will continue to use them as weapons to combat Putin’s troops in occupied Crimea. Read More Iceland volcano eruption update: Magma ‘very close’ to surface Russia-Ukraine war live: Putin to give shock G20 speech as troops desert Donetsk Cyprus' president says his country is ready to ship aid to Gaza once a go-ahead is given
2023-11-21 10:40

AL West-leading Rangers acquire once-dominant closer Aroldis Chapman in a trade with the Royals
The Texas Rangers have acquired Aroldis Chapman in a trade with the Kansas City Royals
2023-07-01 07:09

Atlanta officer used Taser on church deacon after he said he could not breathe, police video shows
Body camera video shows an Atlanta police officer responding to a minor car crash deployed a Taser on a church deacon after the man repeatedly said he could not breathe
2023-11-23 06:00

Houston QB Stroud's record streak of attempts without an interception to start a career ends
Houston rookie C
2023-10-16 02:29

Latvia's Parliament elects popular Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkevics as new president
Latvian lawmakers have picked the Baltic country’s long-serving and popular foreign minister as its new head of state in a tight vote
2023-05-31 19:55

Deal of the Week: 6-in-1 fast-charging cable for $16.97
TL;DR: Through Sept. 30, the InCharge X Max 6-in-1 charging cable is on sale for
2023-09-23 17:00
You Might Like...

15 Old Things In Your House That Are Worth a Fortune

Florida Meteorologist Startled by Sudden Appearance of Giant Bird on Green Screen

Murder probe launched as mother ‘dived into sea to save son’ after fall from ferry

'It's my Instagram page': 'The View' host Ana Navarro gives sassy reply to fan amid 'touristy' Athens vacation

Who are Jack Quaid's parents? 'Oppenheimer' actor had 'slightly abnormal' upbringing as nepo baby

The Adult Survivors Act launched over 2,500 sex abuse suits. Now, it’s expiring

Skip Bayless: The Bears Should Move On From Justin Fields

First practice at Canadian Grand Prix cancelled due to CCTV failure