Focue Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, What You Focus On is What You Get.
⎯ 《 Focue • Com 》
Microsoft changes its takeover of Call of Duty developer in attempt to get it approved
Microsoft changes its takeover of Call of Duty developer in attempt to get it approved
Microsoft has made a major change to its proposed takeover of the developer of Call of Duty, in yet another attempt to get it completed. The company is hoping to buy Activision Blizzard for $69 billion, or £54 billion, in what would be one of the biggest sales ever. But it has faced intense regulatory scrutiny, including by the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority, which has looked to block the deal. Now it has said that it has sent a fresh proposal for how the takeover would work in an attempt to convince the CMA that the deal should go ahead. But it has stressed that there is still no “green light” for the deal. It came as the regulator confirmed on Tuesday that Microsoft‘s original plan to buy the computer games company “cannot proceed”. Under the new proposal, Microsoft would sell off its rights to offer games via the cloud for new or existing Activision PC or console games for the next 15 years outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It will instead sell those rights to Ubisoft, a rival developer known for the Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry games series. This is designed to ensure that gamers have access to Activision Blizzard’s games, even on consoles and computers not made by Microsoft. The CMA will now launch a new probe into this deal, a so-called Phase 1 investigation. CMA chief executive Sarah Cardell said: “The CMA has today confirmed that Microsoft‘s acquisition of Activision, as originally proposed, cannot proceed. “Separately, Microsoft has notified a new and restructured deal, which is substantially different from what was put on the table previously “This is not a green light. We will carefully and objectively assess the details of the restructured deal and its impact on competition, including in light of third-party comments.” Microsoft president Brad Smith said: “Under the restructured transaction, Microsoft will not be in a position either to release Activision Blizzard games exclusively on its own cloud streaming service, Xbox Cloud Gaming, or to exclusively control the licensing terms of Activision Blizzard games for rival services.” It marks a new twist in the case, the biggest fight the CMA has taken on since gaining new post-Brexit powers. At one point the case looked like as though it would only end after a court battle. In January 2022 Microsoft announced that it planned to buy Activision Blizzard, the company behind the Call Of Duty and World Of Warcraft games, for an eye-watering sum. When the UK was still an EU member, a deal of that size would have been assessed by regulators in Brussels. But after Brexit the CMA now has the power to investigate such deals itself. Although both companies are American, both have significant businesses in the UK so their tie-up could have a significant impact on competition here. Activision Blizzard chief executive Bobby Kotick said: “For us, nothing substantially changes with the addition of this divestiture: our merger agreement with Microsoft, closing deadline, and the cash consideration to be paid for each Activision Blizzard share at closing remain the same. “We will continue to work closely with Microsoft and the CMA throughout the remaining review process, and we are committed to help Microsoft clear any final hurdles as quickly as possible. “This has been a longer journey than expected, and I am very proud of how focused everyone has remained on delivering great games.” Additional reporting by agencies Read More Meta could finally launch Threads feature everyone is waiting for Japanese scientists hoping for a message from alien life imminently iPhone 15 could bring two major changes to fix battery life Meta could finally launch Threads feature everyone is waiting for Japanese scientists hoping for a message from alien life imminently iPhone 15 could bring two major changes to fix battery life
2023-08-23 00:21
Mikel Arteta keen to end Arsenal’s Everton hoodoo despite ’emotional connection’
Mikel Arteta keen to end Arsenal’s Everton hoodoo despite ’emotional connection’
Mikel Arteta admitted he has an emotional connection with Everton and expects his former side to put up a battle when Arsenal travel to Goodison Park in the Premier League on Sunday. Arsenal reignite their Premier League bid with a trip to Merseyside where they face Sean Dyche’s Everton, who are unbeaten at home against the Gunners since 2017. Arteta praised his former side’s attributes and highlighted the special connection between himself and the Toffees. “I’m really excited about it, the last six years we have not won there so we are going to have to earn it,” Arteta said. “We know we are going to have to be at our best to beat them there and that’s something we haven’t managed to do so that’s where we are going to start. “It is a big emotional connection I have to that football club with many years I spent there, the incredible memories that I have so I’m always grateful. It’s a big part of my playing career and as a coach I have to play against them and we have to beat them. “We’ve been here and we’ve been to grounds before where we haven’t won before and we’ve done it so it’s about understanding the importance and knowing what we lacked in those games and putting it right. “Sometimes you cannot avoid a battle (with Everton), the style of play they have is very clear and they’re very good at that. “We have a different one and it’s about trying to impose your way of playing and the tactic is just to make sure your opponent’s strengths are hiding and that ours are coming out every single time to fulfill the potential of your players, and that’s what I think both managers and players will try to do.” Arsenal’s Champions League opener against PSV next week is their first time back in the competition since the 2016-17 season. The Spaniard embraced the challenge of a difficult schedule alongside another battle with Manchester City at the summit of the Premier League this season. “We played three games a week last year, but the Champions League is obviously different with the expectations and that we’ve been away from it for seven years,” he added. “It’s excitement, this is where we want to be and when you look at the fixtures and the games we are going to have to play, I think everyone is really looking forward to it.” Arsenal terminated Nicolas Pepe’s contract on Saturday after the Ivorian failed to hold down a starting role at the Emirates since his reported £72 million move – then a club-record fee – in 2019. Arteta said: “What I can say is that he’s a phenomenal boy, he trained really hard, it’s not his fault that the amount of money we paid at the time. “When things aren’t working out you have to move on and there’s no point when things aren’t working either way. “The decisions has been made and I think it’s in the benefit of both parties.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Ange Postecoglou says Tottenham will give support to troubled Richarlison Ireland braced for ‘big step up’ ahead of facing Tonga’s ‘serious threats’ Erik ten Hag says he inherited Manchester United with ‘no good culture’
2023-09-15 22:27
Texas businessman at center of Attorney General Ken Paxton’s impeachment facing new charges
Texas businessman at center of Attorney General Ken Paxton’s impeachment facing new charges
A Texas businessman at the center of the scandal that led to the historic impeachment of state Attorney General Ken Paxton has been charged with additional federal crimes
2023-11-09 00:07
Fortnite Chapter 5 Release Date and Time for Every Region
Fortnite Chapter 5 Release Date and Time for Every Region
Here's the Fortnite Chapter 5 release date and time for every region as the major update is set to go live on Sunday, Dec. 3 at 6 a.m. ET.
2023-11-29 02:01
Trump lawyers negotiating with Fulton County DA over details of surrender, sources say
Trump lawyers negotiating with Fulton County DA over details of surrender, sources say
Lawyers for former President Donald Trump are in "ongoing negotiations" with the Fulton County District attorney's office regarding details of his surrender, two sources familiar with the talks tell CNN.
2023-08-17 01:09
Barcelona and Real Madrid banned from using 'El Clasico' term
Barcelona and Real Madrid banned from using 'El Clasico' term
Barcelona and Real Madrid are banned from using 'El Clasico' to describe their derby matches. The Spanish Patent and Trademark Office ruled against Madrid's request to trademark the term, deeming it too similar to La Liga's established brand, 'ElClásico.'
2023-05-27 00:45
US beats Canada 2-0 to win CONCACAF Nations League on goals by Balogun, Richards
US beats Canada 2-0 to win CONCACAF Nations League on goals by Balogun, Richards
Folarin Balogun and Chris Richards scored their first international goals, both off assists from Gio Reyna, and the United States beat Canada 2-0 for the Americans’ second straight CONCACAF Nations League title
2023-06-19 11:08
From highs to lows, Everest record breaker sees 'no future' in Nepal
From highs to lows, Everest record breaker sees 'no future' in Nepal
Kami Rita Sherpa had stood at the top of the world just days earlier, exultant at having summited Mount Everest for a record 28th time.
2023-05-30 19:39
Amrabat backs Man Utd to do 'something big' after troubled start
Amrabat backs Man Utd to do 'something big' after troubled start
Sofyan Amrabat believes Manchester United can still do "something big" this season after the Morocco midfielder helped his troubled side...
2023-09-27 21:25
China Mulls Stamp Duty Cut to Revive Slumping Stock Market
China Mulls Stamp Duty Cut to Revive Slumping Stock Market
Chinese authorities are considering cutting the stamp duty on stock trades for the first time since 2008, people
2023-08-15 14:26
LG Display posts sixth straight quarterly loss
LG Display posts sixth straight quarterly loss
SEOUL South Korean flatscreen maker LG Display posted on Wednesday its sixth consecutive quarterly loss, hit by continued
2023-10-25 12:47
Tom Donahue Joins DIV Industrial as Partner and Head of Development
Tom Donahue Joins DIV Industrial as Partner and Head of Development
IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 7, 2023--
2023-09-08 05:01