Defiant Trump claims ‘we need one more indictment’ before 2024 race in first speech since federal charges
Donald Trump was equal turns defiant and self-pitying in his first major public event since being indicted earlier this week on charges he conspired to overturn the 2020 election and deprive voters of their civil rights in the process, claiming the charges against him were illegitimate but would help his campaign. “It’s not going to make any impact. Every time they file an indictment, we go way up in the polls,” Mr Trump said Friday at the Alabama Republican Party’s 2023 summer meeting in Montgomery. “We need one more indictment and this election is closed out, nobody has even a chance,” he added. At the same time, Mr Trump hammered the special counsel overseeing the case, accusing “deranged Jack Smith” of pursuing “an outrageous criminalisation of political speech.” “It’s not fair and it’s probably not legal what they’re doing,” Mr Trump argued. “They want to interfere in my campaign.” Prosecutors allege that Mr Trump and a group of co-conspirators knew they had lost the 2020 election, but tried to manipulate the process and be declared the winners anyway, infringing on US voter rights in the process. “The only civil rights that have been violated in this manner are my civil rights,” Mr Trump said at the event. Even though Donald Trump faces increasing legal jeopardy – two federal indictments, plus another major case from the Manhattan district attorney and a looming potential indictment in Georgia over election meddling – his campaign for the White House looks relatively unimpacted even as Mr Trump could be the first former president to be imprisoned. According to a New York Times poll on Thursday, Donald Trump and Joe Biden are at a dead heat when it comes to support from registered voters, each maintaining 43 per cent. Within the Republican field, Mr Trump has a comfortable lead over his opponents, even as rivals like Mike Pence have seized on the recent indictment to criticise the former president. A recent poll found that Donald Trump is still comfortably leading the pack of GOP hopefuls ahead of 2024, with 54 per cent support compared to his nearest rival, Florida governor Ron DeSantis, who only had 17 per cent. Read More Moment Trump’s own lawyer ‘admits’ to indictment charge live on TV Ron DeSantis says Trump’s claims of stolen 2020 election weren’t ‘true’ Trump strikes threatening tone after arraignment: ‘ IF YOU GO AFTER ME, I’M COMING AFTER YOU!’ Texas man who threatened poll workers and Arizona officials is sentenced to 3 1/2 years Trump strikes threatening tone: ‘ IF YOU GO AFTER ME, I’M COMING AFTER YOU!’ Giuliani must clarify his ‘puzzling’ court filing in Georgia defamation case
2023-08-05 09:00
Chiefs rumors: More trades, Justyn Ross decision, no weather worries
The latest Chiefs news focuses on a potential snow game, Justyn Ross's place on the roster, and possible further WR trades.
2023-10-26 22:29
Michael Harris-led Braves beat Tigers 10-6 in 1st game of doubleheader
Michael Harris went 4 for 4 with a homer and four RBIs as the Atlanta Braves beat the Detroit Tigers 10-6 on Wednesday in the first game of a doubleheader
2023-06-15 04:40
Voters in Lewiston are overcoming fear and sadness to do their civic duty after mass shooting
Shootings in which 18 people were killed are on the minds of voters heading to the polls in Lewiston, Maine, where the gunman opened fire less than two weeks ago
2023-11-08 04:10
Killer whales sink another boat near Gibraltar in relentless 45-minute attack
Killer whales have sunk yet another boat in southwestern Europe, marking the fourth such incident in the region in the last two years. The latest attack saw a pod of orcas target a yacht in the Strait of Gibraltar for about 45 minutes, Polish cruise company Morskie Mile said in a Facebook post on 31 October. The boat’s operator said the relentless attack focused on the yacht’s steering fin and caused extensive damage and leakage. “Despite attempts to bring the yacht to the port by the captain, crew and rescuers from the SAR (Search and Rescue), port tugs and the Moroccan Navy, the unit sunk near the entrance to the port of Tanger Med,” the company said, while adding that the crew was “safe, unharmed, and sound”. The attack is the latest reported case of killer whales targetting boats in Gibraltar – a phenomenon that has intrigued animal behaviour scientists. Cases of orcas harassing boats passing by in the Strait of Gibraltar, which runs between Spain and Morocco and connects the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea, began being reported in 2020. The strange behaviour has perplexed scientists, with some theorising that the killer whales may be teaching each other to attack boats passing by in the region. Researchers have floated a number of theories to explain the behaviour of the aquatic mammals. These explanations range from food scarcity and the disruptive resumption of post-pandemic nautical activities to playful interactions. There have been documented cases of “play behaviour” among different orca populations as some killer whales in previous studies were shown to “harass” porpoises. Researchers suspect these were likely orchestrated by orcas as a form of social play to bond, communicate or simply for fun among themselves, and that the behaviour would provide benefits such as improved group coordination and teamwork. But scientists have also begun to investigate whether the Gibraltar attacks are linked to past trauma. Whatever the orcas’ motivation, such incidents have highlighted the more widespread concerns of scientists around the impact of human nautical activity on intelligent marine mammals. Read More Killer whales another boat near Gibraltar in relentless 45-minute attack Live exports of livestock to be banned under planned new law Harry and Megan accused of ‘eco-hypocrisy’ for flying to Katy Perry gig Live exports of livestock to be banned under planned new law Harry and Megan accused of ‘eco-hypocrisy’ for flying to Katy Perry gig Met Office predicts more blustery showers after Storm Ciarán flooding
2023-11-07 20:26
What is ‘The Walking Dead: Dead City’ about? Plot of AMC's horror series explained
'The Walking Dead: Dead City' primarily focuses on Maggie and Negan as they try to navigate a zombie-filled New York
2023-06-19 07:30
ASEAN leader acknowledges no progress toward ending Myanmar's deadly civil strife
Indonesian President Joko Widodo has somberly acknowledged to fellow Southeast Asian leaders that no progress has been made to end the civil strife gripping Myanmar
1970-01-01 08:00
Liverpool-Tottenham replay possible under Uefa rules loophole
A replay of Liverpool’s match at Tottenham could be possible on a legal interpretation of Uefa’s rules, according to those within football legal circles. Premier League sources are adamant that a replay of the controversial clash will not happen, especially since their rules only allow for a replay in the event of a club being guilty of an offence, but there is a belief that the fact the competition's own rules make no other mention may allow a new precedent to be set. Jurgen Klopp became the first figure to publicly raise the prospect of a replay in his Wednesday Europa League press conference. The Liverpool manager said he would prefer that as an outcome of this controversy, but admitted it's unlikely. Liverpool have not made such a request up to now, as the fall-out from the decision to wrongly disallow Luiz Diaz's goal continues. It was the nature of how that goal was ruled out that could create a problem for the game if the club do decide to pursue that route. A replay could be possible over incorrect application of laws, rather than an outright mistake: since the VAR actually identified that Diaz was onside, the correct application of the laws of the game would have been to award a goal, but that evidently didn't happen. That takes it beyond the threshold of a simple mistake, and could fall under the provisions for a protest to Uefa. The European governing body do allow clubs to submit protests - albeit within 12 hours of the game finishing. The current principles of the International Football Association Board [IFAB] regarding “admissability of protests” state that “protests may not be lodged against factual decisions taken by the referee”” and that “in principle, a match is not invalidated because of: malfunction(s) of the VAR technology (as for goal line technology (GLT)); wrong decision(s) involving the VAR (as the VAR is a match official); decision(s) not to review an incident; review(s) of a non-reviewable situation/decision”. Since it has been acknowledged by the PGMOL that this did constitute a “factual error”, there is a belief that this could be legally pursued. Liverpool themselves were involved in a potential precedent, when Roma complained about the incorrect decision of a corner - rather than a penalty - from a Stephane Henchoz handball in their 2000-01 Uefa Cup semi-final. Referee Jose Maria Garcia-Aranda initially pointed to the spot only to change his mind and indicate a corner. While a drop-ball should actually have been given in this situation, it was felt by Uefa that no further action should be taken as a corner actually ended up benefitting Roma more than the drop-ball. Had that not been the case, though, the governing body's use of language in the situation had some sources involved fearing the prospect of a replay might at least have been raised. Liverpool were surprised at the time that Roma's complaint got that far. Protests do usually have to be submitted within 12 hours of the end of the game in such cases, but the fact that the Premier League make no mention of replays means that the Uefa example could be pointed to in any legal case. Where Liverpool could find a greater likelihood of success is in suing for compensation, but there is an internal acknowledgement of how deep the repercussions could be depending on what happens next. The club are currently assessing what steps to take, as the PGMOL are set to improve their protocols following the biggest VAR error the Premier League has seen. Read More Jurgen Klopp calls for Liverpool’s match at Tottenham to be replayed over VAR blunder Gary Neville responds after Jurgen Klopp calls for Liverpool replay: ‘That’s madness’ MP condemns TalkSport presenter Simon Jordan over Liverpool ‘victim culture’ comment PGMOL rejects Ben Foster’s claim that refs pressured Sky into VAR cover-up Jurgen Klopp should know better — calling for replays sets a dangerous precedent Gary Neville responds after Jurgen Klopp calls for Liverpool replay: ‘That’s madness’
2023-10-06 00:19
Taylor Swift news diary: Popstar watches Travis Kelce take on Broncos after enjoying 'The Eras Tour' concert movie
During her third appearance at a Chiefs game this season, Taylor Swift was seen conversing with her rumored beau Travis Kelce's father Ed
2023-10-13 21:46
Russia carries out air strikes for second night on Ukraine's Odesa port -governor
Ukrainian air defence systems were engaged in the early hours of Wednesday in repelling a Russian air attack
2023-07-19 07:18
Historians race to find Great Lakes shipwrecks before quagga mussels destroy the sites
Historians are racing to locate Great Lakes shipwrecks before a seemingly unstoppable invasive mussel destroys them and erases part of the region's heritage
2023-09-26 01:04
Sir Alex Ferguson and Prince William among mourners as thousands gather for Sir Bobby Charlton’s funeral
Sir Alex Ferguson was among the mourners at Sir Bobby Charlton’s memorial service on Monday, alongside a raft of Manchester United players both past and present in the 1,000 invited guests. Prince William, who is president of the Football Association, and the England manager Gareth Southgate were both in attendance in Manchester to pay tribute to one of English football’s greatest players. Invited United stars included David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Roy Keane, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Bryan Robson and Sir Bobby’s teammate Alex Stepney. The club’s unpopular owners, the Glazer family, did not attend, because it is understood they did not want to become a distraction. The manager, Erik ten Hag, was also absent due to personal commitments in his native Netherlands. Some of the current players were unable to attend after flying to join up with their national teams for upcoming international fixtures. Charlton died last month aged 86, five days after a fall at his care home. The Ashington-born midfielder made 758 appearances and scored 249 goals for United in a glittering 17-year playing career. He survived the Munich Air Disaster in 1958 to help rebuild United, and went on to lift the European Cup in 1968, two years after playing a starring role as England won the World Cup. The funeral cortege began at Old Trafford, where Charlton is celebrated alongside Denis Law and George Best in the “United Trinity” statue, and passed through streets lined with thousands of fans before reaching Manchester Cathedral. The ceremony, which was not filmed or broadcast, included eulogies and tributes from former club chief executive David Gill, former Manchester United Foundation chief executive John Shiels and a personal tribute from the Charlton family. Hymns included “Abide With Me”, which is traditionally sung before the FA Cup final, “Jerusalem” and a rendition of “How Great Thou Art” by opera singer Russell Watson. The family requested donations in lieu of flowers to a series of charities close to Sir Bobby’s heart, the Sir Bobby Charlton Foundation, the Children’s Adventure Farm Trust, the Alzheimer’s Society and Alzheimer’s UK. Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw and Jonny Evans were among the current United players at the funeral. Liverpool’s appearance record holder Ian Callaghan and Manchester City great Mike Summerbee also attended, along with City director Ferran Soriano, and Real Madrid legend Emilio Butragueno.
2023-11-14 02:22
You Might Like...
NBA 2K24 Clothing Brands Revealed
Africa Phone Giant MTN Expects Nigeria Reform Recovery Mid-2024
Twitter accuses Microsoft of misusing its data, foreshadowing a possible fight over AI
Eleven people missing in France after fire in holiday home
Is John J York OK? 'General Hospital' star opens up on health scare amid hiatus from show
'Like breathing poison': Delhi children hardest hit by smog
Fox News host Greg Gutfeld reveals his monologues are controlled by network writers, says he finds them 'hacky'
MLB Rumors: Pete Alonso trade buzz, Corbin Burnes cold water, Jackson Holliday call-up?
