Focue Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, What You Focus On is What You Get.
⎯ 《 Focue • Com 》
TikTok Is Planning a Massive Black Friday Sale
TikTok Is Planning a Massive Black Friday Sale
While it still might feel like summer in many parts of the country, retailers have
2023-09-18 04:35
Putin still has ‘well over 200,000 troops’ in occupied Ukraine, top US general says
Putin still has ‘well over 200,000 troops’ in occupied Ukraine, top US general says
Ukraine could take time to “kick out” over 200,000 of Vladimir Putin’s troops from its soil even if its military counteroffensive achieves all its goals, a soon-to-retire US military general has claimed in a new interview. The comments come as Ukraine has stepped up its counteroffensive against Russia in the last few days by retaking a couple of key villages near battle-worn Bakhmut and launched joint intelligence ops in Crimea, the territory Moscow illegally annexed in 2014. “There’s well over 200,000 Russian troops in Russian-occupied Ukraine,” General Mark A Milley, who is set to retire as the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in an “exit interview” to CNN. “This offensive, although significant has operational and tactical objectives that are limited in the sense that they do not – even if they are fully achieved – they do not completely kick out all the Russians, which is the broader strategic objective that president Zelensky has,” he said. Ejecting Russian soldiers from the entirety of Ukraine is going to take a long time and will be “a very significant effort over a considerable amount of time”, Mr Milley said. The general said he doesn’t want to “put a time on it because a lot of things can happen in a war”. “You could see a general collapse, you can see escalation, you could see a lot of different things happen in the future, but I can tell you that it will take a considerable length of time to militarily eject all 200,000 plus Russian troops out of Russian-occupied Ukraine. That’s a very high bar, that’s gonna take a long time to do it,” he said. Earlier this month, Mr Milley said Ukraine only has around 45 days left before poor weather conditions hinder its continuing counteroffensive. It will become “very difficult to manoeuvre” once it starts raining, according to the head of the US military. “That offensive kicked off about 90 days ago,” he said, referring to recent criticism about the counteroffensive. “It has gone slower than the planners anticipated. But that is a difference between what (Prussian general and military theorist Carl von) Clausewitz called war on paper and real war,” he said. “So these are real people in real vehicles that are fighting through real minefields, and there’s real death and destruction, and there’s real friction. “And there’s still a reasonable amount of time – probably about 30 to 45 days’ worth of fighting weather left. So the Ukrainians aren’t done,” he said. “This battle is not done. They haven’t finished the fighting part of what they’re trying to accomplish. So, we’ll see… It’s too early to say how this is going to end. They at least have achieved partial success in what they set out to do, and that’s important. And then the rains will come in. It’ll become very muddy,” he said. “It’ll be very difficult to manoeuvre at that point, and then you’ll get the deep winter, and then, at that point, we’ll see where things go. “But right now it is way too early to say that this offensive has failed or not failed.” In the same interview, Admiral Sir Tony Radakin, the UK’s Chief of the Defence Staff, said Ukraine is “winning” because Russia failed to bring the country under its control. The Ukrainian counteroffensive is now in its fourth month and its forces have now had a series of territorial successes against Russian forces, including closing in on the country’s eastern areas from multiple directions. Russia had invaded Ukraine in February last year. Ukraine’s pushback, backed by its Western allies who have poured help through modern machinery and funds, has so far been marked by small victories and is awaiting more major breakthroughs. Read More Ukraine-Russia war – live: Putin launches attack on Lviv as Russian defences breached near Bakhmut villages Ukraine’s Zelensky questions why Russia still has place at UN ahead of New York address Explosions shake Lviv as western Ukraine under air raid alerts for Russian drone strikes Ukrainian troops claim to have liberated Bakhmut village from Russia UNGA Briefing: Biden, Zelenskyy and what else is going on at the United Nations
2023-09-19 16:45
Italy’s Crisis Guardian Counts Down to Exit as Meloni Mulls Successor
Italy’s Crisis Guardian Counts Down to Exit as Meloni Mulls Successor
Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has just five months left to find a new Bank of Italy chief in
2023-05-31 11:00
Dip your toe into robotics with this educational kit, now $92 off
Dip your toe into robotics with this educational kit, now $92 off
TL;DR: As of July 24, get the WLKATA Mirobot 6-Axis Mini Robot Arm Professional Kit
2023-07-24 17:00
Picture this: how a throwaway camera helps Europe's homeless
Picture this: how a throwaway camera helps Europe's homeless
A disposable camera gave Daniel Skupio a voice as he kept his mind off drugs and alcohol and...
2023-11-09 14:25
One year on: A timeline of Elon Musk's farcical first year as Twitter/X owner
One year on: A timeline of Elon Musk's farcical first year as Twitter/X owner
It’s hard to remember a time where Twitter didn’t have Elon Musk’s fingerprints all over it. But it was on 28 October 2022 that Musk took over the social media platform after purchasing it for a whopping $44bn. In the months that followed, the company changed dramatically - both publicly and behind the scenes - and for many of us, our relationship with the app has never been the same. Here’s everything Elon Musk has done since buying Twitter. Kicked things off with a dad joke “Let that sink in…” Yes, he really did this. Made half of the staff redundant In November, Twitter announced that it was laying off half of its workers – a cut of around 3,740 jobs. “Twitter has had a massive drop in revenue, due to activist groups pressuring advertisers, even though nothing has changed with content moderation and we did everything we could to appease the activists. Extremely messed up! They’re trying to destroy free speech in America,” Musk wrote at the time. "Unfortunately there is no choice when the company is losing over $4M/day," he tweeted. He would also go on to fire all of Twitter HQ's janitors, and issue a childish response to more than 775 discrimination cases against Twitter. Then publicly humiliated an employee who asked if he'd been sacked Musk was forced to apologise after a humiliating exchange in which he appeared to mock a disabled Twitter worker. Days after having access to his work computer cut and following numerous unanswered emails, one worker was forced to directly tweet Elon Musk asking him a seemingly straightforward question: had he been sacked? Rather than answer it, or get his HR team to do so, Musk decided to publicly put the man through the wringer – subjecting him to a brutal tweet exchange which included a pair of “rolling on the floor laughing” emojis. The thread has been branded “disgraceful” by thousands of users, who have condemned Musk as the “worst boss ever”. In the original tweet, senior product designer Halli Thorleifsson wrote: “Dear [Elon Musk], 9 days ago the access to my work computer was cut, along with about 200 other Twitter employees. However, your head of HR is not able to confirm if I am an employee or not. You've not answered my emails. Maybe if enough people retweet you'll answer me here?” The platform’s infamous boss replied curtly: “What work have you been doing?” before proceeding to engage in a back-and-forth that reads like a live job interview, with questions including: “What changes did you make to help with the youths?” and infantile comments like: “Pics or it didn’t happen”. The Twitter boss later said that he had received bad information about the situation, and had a video call with the affected staff member to apologise. The Twitter Blue mess On 30 October, Musk took to Twitter to share that the "whole verification process is being revamped". While a blue tick on Twitter used to help limit impersonation and prove the validity of tweets from high-profile individuals such as journalists, Musk decided he didn't like that idea and made the platform's paid subscription option - Twitter Blue - include the coveted verification icon. Those who didn't want to pay a regular fee to keep their blue tick eventually lost it in April this year. Got really petty about his social media competitors So it wasn't long before people were considering jumping ship for rival social media platforms - one of the most popular sites at the time of Musk's takeover being that of the decentralised platform, Mastodon. Except, Musk seemed to catch on to people fleeing Twitter and sharing their Mastodon links on the app, as the platform suddenly stopped allowing users to post URLs from the other site. Embarrassing. In April this year, he also blocked Twitter embeds on Substack, after they rolled out a feature called 'Notes' which bore a striking resemblance to his platform, and in July he threatened to sue Instagram's text-based app Threads. Reinstated the Twitter accounts of terrible people Republican congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene, former president Donald Trump, psychologist Jordon Peterson, Kanye "Ye" West and "misogynistic" influencer Andrew Tate were all allowed back onto the platform towards the end of November after they were previously banned from Twitter for Terms of Service violations. For example, Trump was banned following the January 6 insurrection, while Peterson was banned over a transphobic comment made about trans actor Elliot Page. Ye, meanwhile, was previously suspended for antisemitic tweets, before Musk banned him again following him tweeting a swastika inside the Star of David. He was allowed back on Twitter eight months later, in July. 'The Twitter Files' non-story In December, Musk amplified reporting from Matt Taibbi dubbed "The Twitter Files" which was supposed to expose political influence over Twitter and the social media platform's partisan management, but instead just revealed a perfectly legitimate request from the Biden presidential campaign team to remove pornographic images of Hunter Biden. The ElonJet saga Then there was all the drama around ElonJet, an account managed by Jack Sweeney while studying at the University of Central Florida which tracked Musk's use of his private jet using publicly available flight information. 'Free speech absolutist' Musk had offered the account owner $5,000 in early 2022 to take down the account, but went further when he was handed the 'keys' to Twitter, as he suspended the account outright. It later returned, but with a 24-hour delay. Sweeney would eventually troll Musk by joining major rival, Threads. Temporarily banned a load of journalists In scenes related to the ElonJet situation, reporters from outlets such as CNN, the New York Times and The Washington Post were suspended from Twitter, with Musk writing: "[The] same doxxing rules apply to 'journalists' as to everyone else." When one journalist was able to challenge Musk on the bans, he reacted totally rationally by temporarily binning the live audio feature, Twitter Spaces. The poll which ousted him as Twitter CEO In December, amid continued scrutiny over his management of Twitter, Musk posted a poll on his future as CEO of the company, allowing users to determine his fate. He lost. Musk would later claim his dog was calling the shots at Twitter, before hiring NBCUniversal advertising chair Linda Yaccarino in May. Divided the home page into 'For You' and 'Following' One of the bigger changes to the site itself came in January when an update saw the timeline split into two with ‘For You’ and ‘Latest’ feeds. A thread from Twitter Support in January read: “See the tweets you want to see. Starting today on iOS, swipe between tabs to see Tweets recommended ‘for you’, or tweets from the accounts you’re ‘following’. “The ‘For You’ and ‘Following’ tabs replace ‘home’ and ‘latest’ and will be pinned to the top of your timeline so you can easily switch between them. Swipe to switch timelines instead of tapping the [stars] icon.” The Tesla and SpaceX owner also implemented a "view count" on tweets to let others know how many times a post has been seen. This follows in the footsteps of the video model, where fellow tweeters are shown how many views a video has accumulated. One of the stranger moves also saw him introduce a marker that lets people see how many times a post had been bookmarked. So. Many. Outages. They got so bad, in fact, that Musk admitted in March that the site is "brittle". In July, things broke some more to the extent that the owner had to implement a 'reading limit' on tweets. Implementing a bizarre auto-reply from Twitter's press inbox In March, it started sending poop emojis. We wish we were joking. Pathetic name changes The Twitter CEO switched the site’s usual logo featuring the blue bird to the Doge meme featuring a Shiba Inu named Kabosu in April. The change led to Dogecoin prices surging by 33 per cent. It seemed like a very random decision, but it turns out he’s had the idea for a pretty long time. Back in 2022, Musk engaged with Twitter user @WSBChairman, who said on March 26 that he should “just buy Twitter… and change the bird logo to a doge”. In the same month, he also removed the 'w' from the Twitter sign outside Twitter HQ to spell... well, you know exactly what it spells... Cheesing off bereaved families In May, Musk announced a 'purge' of inactive accounts, angering those who had loved ones who have since passed away, for whom their Twitter accounts are a way of remembering them. The Elon Musk vs Mark Zuckerberg cage fight (which is yet to happen) Seeing the Meta owner as a new competitor after buying out a social media platform, Musk challenged Zuckerberg to a cage fight, which Zuck - who has won a jiu jitsu competition - accepted, but the fight has not actually taken place. Disappointing. The actual name change Oh, sorry, have we been using 'Twitter' to refer to Musk's app? We mean X. Musk rebranded it to a single letter in July, though many still people still refer to it as its old name. Oops. Actually charging people to use X In more recent developments, Musk has even gone so far as to charge people for the privilege of joining his dysfunctional social media platform. Earlier this month it was announced that new users in New Zealand and the Philippines will have to cough up $1 (£0.82) a year to access key features such as tweeting, retweeting, liking posts and replying. 'Illegal content and disinformation' over Israel-Hamas war Now, as the Israel-Hamas conflict continues, Musk has been criticised for his platform allowing disinformation to run rife amid the war, to the point that the European Union - more specifically, European Commissioner Thierry Bretan - wrote a letter to the business owner warning him that his site is "being used to disseminate illegal content and disinformation". We can't say we're looking forward to another year of Musk's rule... Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter How to join the indy100's free WhatsApp channel Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-10-29 03:21
Trading platform Tradeweb in talks about US default contingency plans
Trading platform Tradeweb in talks about US default contingency plans
NEW YORK Bond trading platform Tradeweb is in talks with clients, industry groups and other market participants about
1970-01-01 08:00
Paranormal Tales Playable Platforms
Paranormal Tales Playable Platforms
Paranormal Tales is a new psychological horror game.
1970-01-01 08:00
What to know ahead of Tory Lanez's sentencing in Megan Thee Stallion's shooting
What to know ahead of Tory Lanez's sentencing in Megan Thee Stallion's shooting
It has been three years since hip-hop star Megan Thee Stallion was shot in the feet following an altercation with the Canadian rapper Tory Lanez
2023-08-05 01:04
After strong season with Brunson, Knicks must weigh more time or more talent
After strong season with Brunson, Knicks must weigh more time or more talent
The New York Knicks' hopes of finally building another championship-contending team may be moving forward with Jalen Brunson aboard
1970-01-01 08:00
Berhalter back as US coach after feud, domestic-violence investigation
Berhalter back as US coach after feud, domestic-violence investigation
Gregg Berhalter was rehired as U.S. men’s national team coach through the 2026 World Cup, returning to the job after he led the Americans to the second round of last year’s tournament and then was dropped amid a feud with a famous soccer family and a domestic-violence investigation
2023-06-17 01:07
Who is Sean Bankhead? Ace choreographer slams ‘TikTok dancers' for ruining dancing industry on ‘GMA3’
Who is Sean Bankhead? Ace choreographer slams ‘TikTok dancers' for ruining dancing industry on ‘GMA3’
Sean Bankhead credits himself as a self-taught artiste, inspired by Michael Jackson, and Missy Elliott among others
2023-07-26 17:55