Focue Provides the Latest and Most Up-to-Date News, What You Focus On is What You Get.
⎯ 《 Focue • Com 》
Two Trump codefendants ask judge to sever their trials from former president
Two Trump codefendants ask judge to sever their trials from former president
Two of Donald Trump’s codefendants in his Georgia election subversion case have asked the judge to sever their trials from the rest of the accused – including the former president. Lawyers Sidney Powell and Kenneth Chesebro have both requested speedy trials in the case. On Wednesday, they each formally requested that their cases be separated from the wider indictment, something that – if granted – would prevent Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis from holding one trial for all 19 defendants at once. DA Willis previously revealed her plans to hold one trial for all the accused this October. In requesting speedy trials, Georgia state law now requires Ms Powell and Mr Chesebro’s trials to begin before early November. Judge Scott McAfee has already ordered Mr Chesebro’s trial to start on 23 October, while Ms Powell’s request is pending. Mr Trump is against such a hasty timeline, employing his longtime legal tactic of attempting to slow things down and drag out the process until after the 2024 election. But now, if the cases are severed, this could lead to delays in a wider trial for the remaining defendants, including Mr Trump. The requests from Ms Powell and Mr Chesebro mark the first attempts from the defendants to try to break up the massive case into smaller individual trials. Their respective motions were filed on Wednesday as the defendants and the prosecution work to set the framework for the process. Mr Trump’s lawyers have also said that they want the former president’s case to be severed from the rest of the defendants, but they haven’t yet filed a motion to do so. Ms Powell and Mr Chesebro both deny all wrongdoing in the case. In her filing, lawyers for Ms Powell said that she “did not represent President Trump or the Trump campaign” in connection to the 2020 election and didn’t have an “engagement agreement” with Mr Trump or his campaign. “She appears on no pleadings for Trump or the Campaign,” the lawyers wrote. “She appeared in no courtrooms or hearings for Trump or the Campaign. She had no contact with most of her purported conspirators and rarely agreed with those she knew or spoke with.” Her insistence comes despite Mr Trump saying in the middle of November 2020, shortly after he lost the election, that he had “added” Ms Powell to his “great team” of attorneys working on legal challenges to the election results. When Ms Powell subsequently shared bizarre conspiracy theories that millions of votes had been flipped in an international plot to take down Mr Trump, his campaign removed her from the legal team and announced that she was “practising law on her own”. Now, her lawyers have also tried to distance herself from the other attorneys charged in the Georgia case, saying that she “went her own way” following the 2020 election and that “many of her purported coconspirators publicly shunned and disparaged Ms Powell beginning in November 2020”. The filing also argued that her legal career had shown her adherence to “integrity” and “the rule of law” while pushing the baseless claim amplified by many on the right that retired General Michael Flynn was the subject of “charges completely concocted against him by a politicized FBI”. Also on Wednesday, Mr Chesebro’s lawyers requested that the judge push Ms Willis to “disclose” the names of the 30 unindicted co-conspirators included in the indictment. Mr Chesebro was behind Mr Trump’s plan to put forward fake electors to win the electoral college and he argued that he needs the identities of the individuals in order to prepare his defence in the case. On Wednesday morning, Ms Willis filed a motion requesting that Judge McAfee advise the defendants in the case of the consequences of requesting a speedy trial, noting the demands on their procedural and evidentiary rights. “By filing their speedy trial demands in this case, the Defendants have personally, willfully and deliberately narrowed numerous options that would otherwise be available to them under Georgia law,” the filing states. Read More Trump threatens to ‘lock up’ rivals if he wins 2024 race as he’s accused of inflating wealth by $2bn – live Trump inflated his net worth by as much as $2.2bn, New York attorney general says Trump posts a staggering 31 videos ranting at political opponents in one day
2023-08-31 22:38
No. 17 Duke returns from Notre Dame loss to host instate ACC foe NC State
No. 17 Duke returns from Notre Dame loss to host instate ACC foe NC State
No. 17 Duke returns to action after an open week to face North Carolina State on Saturday
2023-10-12 23:33
Roundup: RIP Suzanne Somers; Joe Biden's '60 Minutes' Interview; Shaquille O'Neal Loves Hooters
Roundup: RIP Suzanne Somers; Joe Biden's '60 Minutes' Interview; Shaquille O'Neal Loves Hooters
Israel-Hamas war rages as crisis deepens in Gaza ... Minecraft has sold over 300 million copies ... Suzanne Somers, fitness icon and star of "Three's Company,"
2023-10-16 19:00
NBA 2K23 Badges: What's New, Reworked, Removed
NBA 2K23 Badges: What's New, Reworked, Removed
Here's a breakdown of all you need to know about Badges in NBA 2K23.
1970-01-01 08:00
Bed Bath & Beyond slides after Ryan Cohen files for stake sale
Bed Bath & Beyond slides after Ryan Cohen files for stake sale
By Medha Singh and Aishwarya Nair (Reuters) -Bed Bath & Beyond Inc shares nosedived late in the session on Wednesday
1970-01-01 08:00
Reddit Will Allow NSFW Desktop Image Uploads
Reddit Will Allow NSFW Desktop Image Uploads
Reddit announced this week that it will allow users to upload NSFW images from desktops
1970-01-01 08:00
Influencer gives tour of her apartment despite it burning down
Influencer gives tour of her apartment despite it burning down
House and property tours are popular online, but one woman's has gone viral with her New York City apartment tour since she did it after her place got burned in a fire. Kelsey Soles (@kelseysoles) provided the backstory as she explained how her apartment caught fire as she slept the night before and admitted she was still "in shock" from the incident. “So I woke up surrounded by flames,” she said. “I was going around my apartment trying to find stuff to save. But It’s only up from here,” Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Though on a lighter note, Kelsey added there was “a bit of comedic relief was that there was one really cute firefighter that was helping me put out the fire.” She asked for a pair of shoes from her flat as she was barefoot, to which the firefighter retrieved her new pair of 3-inch wedges. Kelsey then showed photos of her burned-down apartment. For the video caption, the TikToker wrote: "My apt burned down last night life is gooooood." While in another video, which she posted from the flat, you could see the place was completely black from where the flames had been put out. In a follow-up clip, Kelsey responded to comments which were asking what the cause of the fire was. “I don’t know the exact cause,” she said. “It was where my Wi-Fi was plugged into and an extension cord plugged into that.” @kelseysoles My apt burned down last night life is gooooood Since sharing what happened, Kelsey's videos have gone viral, receiving 1.5m and 4.5m views respectively, while many took to the comment section to send their love and support. One person said: "Girl this is traumatizing and horrible I’m so sorry this happened to you but I know you're gonna push through. I’m wishing u the best." "Praying for you hun, at least you’re safe. Material things are replaceable you aren’t," another person wrote. Someone else added: "I’ve been through this and it’s actually one of the worst things ever, realise that it’s okay to mourn it wasn’t “just stuff” I promise you’re being set onto a better path, just keep pushing through." "That is so scary I’m so glad you’re okay," a fourth person commented. A GoFundMe for Kelsey has been set up by her friends that has already raised more than $7000. Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-06-27 22:16
Ferreira 1st American with back-to-back international hat tricks as US advances in Gold Cup
Ferreira 1st American with back-to-back international hat tricks as US advances in Gold Cup
Jesús Ferreira became the first American to score international hat tricks in consecutive games, and the United States advanced to the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals with a 6-0 rout of Trinidad and Tobago
2023-07-03 09:11
Secret Service investigating how an intruder entered national security adviser Jake Sullivan's home undetected
Secret Service investigating how an intruder entered national security adviser Jake Sullivan's home undetected
The US Secret Service is investigating how an intruder entered US national security adviser Jake Sullivan's home last month without being detected by Secret Service agents guarding his home.
2023-05-17 04:56
United States predicted lineup vs Vietnam - Women's World Cup
United States predicted lineup vs Vietnam - Women's World Cup
United States' predicted lineup for their 2023 Women's World Cup opening game against Vietnam at Eden Park, Auckland.
2023-07-22 01:45
Referee Eric Lewis not selected to work NBA Finals while league looks into tweets
Referee Eric Lewis not selected to work NBA Finals while league looks into tweets
Eric Lewis was not selected as one of the 12 referees who will work the NBA Finals, while the league continues to investigate whether he used a Twitter account to defend himself and other referees from online complaints
2023-06-01 20:43
Netflix reopens Hollywood's 'Egyptian' movie palace
Netflix reopens Hollywood's 'Egyptian' movie palace
The Egyptian Theatre, which hosted Hollywood's first-ever red carpet premiere in its faux hieroglyph-adorned courtyard more than a century ago, reopens this week under...
2023-11-08 09:57