Amazon Shuts Down Amp, Its Live-Audio Streaming App
Amazon.com Inc. is shutting down Amp, the live-audio app that allowed users to act like radio DJs by
2023-10-05 04:27
China economic data for April miss expectations as demand cools
China's economic data for April missed expectations last month, official figures showed Tuesday, as low demand and high youth unemployment led to a patchy recovery...
2023-05-16 13:08
Hong Kong leads global market rally with best day in three months
Global stocks climbed Friday, led by a resurgent Hong Kong market, as investors greeted signs that the US Federal Reserve may hold off raising interest rates this month, the end of the US debt ceiling drama, and talk that China might unveil new measures to boost its faltering economic recovery.
2023-06-02 19:19
US Justice department says Constitution protects right to travel for abortion
The U.S. Department of Justice said on Thursday it had filed documents in two separate court cases stating
2023-11-10 07:01
Bayer and Dollar General Partner to Increase Access to Fruit and Veggies, Celebrate National School Lunch Week
ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct 11, 2023--
2023-10-11 20:35
Danelo Cavalcante planned carjacking to flee to Canada before capture - latest updates
Escaped prisoner Danelo Cavalcante has revealed how he survived almost two weeks on the run from law enforcement in Pennsylvania, following his dramatic capture by a police dog called Yoda. US Marshall Robert Clark told ABC News that the convicted killer had been very candid after he was captured on Wednesday morning. He told investigators how he evaded capture and survived in the woods by eating watermelon. “He stated he intended to carjack somebody in the next 24 hours and that he was going to head north to Canada,” Mr Clark said. “He said on multiple occasions law enforcement officers almost stepped on him, [that] we were only five or six feet away.” Pennsylvania officials said that tactical teams closed in on Cavalcante on Wednesday morning and the inmate began to crawl through heavy underbrush to get away. At that point, Yoda, a four-year-old Belgium Malinois, set out to subdue the escapee, leaving him with a face bloodied from a bite. Cavalcante had escaped from Chester County Prison on 31 August – days after he was sentenced to life for fatally stabbing his ex-girlfriend Deborah Brandao. He is also wanted for a 2017 murder in Brazil. Read More Where has Danelo Cavalcante been spotted since his Pennsylvania jailbreak? Fugitive Danelo Cavalcante’s mother defends his murders and says ‘everyone is lying about him’ Dog the Bounty Hunter may join search for Danelo Cavalcante
2023-09-15 22:02
Artavious North: Georgia dad who reported abduction after son's death to face murder charge
Artravious North filed a missing person's report about his son and informed the police that he was kidnapped during an armed robbery
2023-09-06 02:06
Newcastle's next six fixtures after thumping win over Aston Villa
Newcastle United's upcoming matches in the Premier League and Champions League including meetings with Manchester City and Liverpool
2023-08-13 21:30
Norwegian police open probe into Ingebrigtsen brothers' abuse claims
Norwegian police said on Thursday they had opened an investigation into accusations of abuse made by Olympic 1500m champion Jakob Ingebrigtsen and his brothers Henrik...
2023-10-26 22:17
Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney insist they will not get bored at Wrexham
Hollywood owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney say they will not get bored at Wrexham as they build a “sustainable business” at the newly-promoted club. Wrexham ended a 15-year absence from the English Football League last month as the two actors’ investment in the Welsh club paid handsome dividends. The pair took over the club from the Wrexham Supporters Trust in February 2021 and have invested heavily on infrastructure and strengthening manager Phil Parkinson’s squad since, with some reports suggesting an outlay of over £10million. “I find it fascinating there are people who assume this could ever be boring in any stretch of the imagination,” said McElhenney, speaking on the Fearless in Devotion podcast. “The things we have done and felt in the last two-and-a-half years just don’t exist in our worlds – or any world that I can think of. “So getting bored would never be on the list of things that would happen. “But I also think about any cynicism or criticism that we might get, that is simply by nature just not creative in any way or helpful in any way, is generally just a reflection of how someone is feeling about themselves or something they may have gone through in their life.” Reynolds has made it clear that he wants to take Wrexham to the Premier League and admitted that his involvement in football has become an “addiction”. Getting bored would never be on the list of things that would happen Wrexham co-owner Rob McElhenney He said: “We don’t pretend it’s just salad days ahead. It’s a journey. “It’s making sure that no matter what we do as stewards of this club we are avoiding stasis or backtracking at all cost. “That can sometimes happen, at least from when I’ve observed other clubs, you can get in this cycle where you’re just keeping your head above water. “So we always want to be on that inexorable march forward, not just as a club but as a community, and Rob and I love Wrexham about as much as two human beings could love anything on this planet.” Wrexham are expected to strengthen again this summer in order to make a League Two promotion challenge next season. Reynolds and McElhenney insist they were serious over their failed bid to lure former Real Madrid and Wales star Gareth Bale out of retirement to play for Wrexham, but are adamant they will not be “writing cheques to keep the business of the club afloat”. McElhenney said: “From the beginning we’ve been talking about what our short-term strategy is and what our long-term strategy is because we’ve always said we want to build a sustainable business. “We look at the entire club as a massive investment – an investment in the club, town and future. “And neither one of us wants to put ourselves or the club in a position where any one of us are just writing cheques to keep the business of the club afloat. “Everything we’ve done since we’ve come in is to ensure no matter who comes in – and hopefully it’s us for the rest of our lives – we are building a sustainable business. Whatever that might mean in the future, who’s to say?” Deadpool star Reynolds said he was contemplating Wrexham’s future within hours of them capturing the National League title. Reynolds said: “Almost the next day I was so excited to dig in to what’s next for the club, which I’m proud to say and deeply regretful to say because I should have enjoyed that moment, which I did. “But I’m so excited to repeat that feeling as much as possible and just grow, grow, grow as big as we can possibly get and continue to deliver. “The great moments we’ve had so far do not exist without the bad. That’s football. “It’s a heart-breaking sport and I’m addicted to it now and you have to have both.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Football rumours: Bayern Munich willing to offload Sadio Mane this summer On this day in 2013 – James Anderson takes 300th Test wicket to join elite club Carlo Ancelotti and Real Madrid unfazed by airport delay before Man City clash
2023-05-17 15:26
Jordan Henderson considering Steven Gerrard reunion at Al Ettifaq
Jordan Henderson is considering an approach from Steven Gerrard's Al Ettifaq over a summer transfer.
2023-07-13 16:25
Mapped: The damage caused by Ukraine’s devastated dam
War-torn Ukraine is reeling from the collapse of the Nova Kakhovka hydroelectric dam, which saw its reservoir burst causing chaos for miles around. The catastrophe on Tuesday forced thousands of residents of nearby towns and villages to evacuate their homes as the floodwater barrelled towards them and left some climbing onto rooftops or into trees to escape the raging torrents. Hundreds of thousands more have been left without access to clean drinking water in the region as a result of the eco-disaster on the Dnipro River, prompting relief workers to rush fresh supplies to the area as they struggle with the problems of mass resettlement. While the official tallies report that over 2,700 people have fled from flooded areas on both the Ukrainian and Russian-controlled sides of the river, a true picture of the disaster has yet to emerge given that more than 60,000 people live in the vicinity. Kyiv has blamed Russia for deliberately destroying the Soviet-era infrastructure, with Moscow, inevitably, protesting its innocence and contemptuously suggesting that Ukrainian saboteurs are responsible. Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky has called the incident “a war crime” and the “largest man-made environmental disaster in Europe in decades”. Russia would certainly appear to have the most to gain from the disaster and President Zelensky did warn as long ago as last November that he believed enemy soldiers had mined the dam and were plotting its destruction. He reiterated that stance in a tweet on Tuesday: “It is physically impossible to blow it up somehow from the outside, by shelling. It was mined by the Russian occupiers. And they blew it up.” For now though, the priority remains coming to the aid of the stricken people of Kherson. Ukraine’s deputy prime minister Oleksandr Kubrakov has warned of the threat to their wellbeing posed by hazardous chemicals and infectious diseases carried by the water as well as from landmines previously placed near the war’s frontline, which have been disturbed by the floods and are now likely to explode. The water in the reservoir feeds a wide area of southern Ukrainian farmland, including the annexed peninsula of Crimea, as well as providing all-important cooling water to the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, lying nearby as indicated on the map below. A United Nations nuclear watchdog has attempted to reassure the public by saying that there is “no immediate risk” to the plant, even if it were to run out of water for its cooling systems. There is no such good news for the region’s farmers, however, with the flooding expected to spell instant disaster for this year’s harvest: crops are likely to be washed away, fields left waterlogged and livestock drowned in water that is at serious risk of being contaminated by machine oil, already seen gushing into the Dnipro. The depleted reservoir is also considered unlikely to be able to supply adequate irrigation to the surrounding fields for several years to come, a huge setback for Ukraine’s eventual hopes of economic recovery. All of which is also likely to have consequences for a global food market that has increasingly relied upon Ukraine for the supply of agricultural produce since the end of the Cold War. “There is no doubt that this will lead to large-scale environmental, economic and human consequences,” Mykhailo Podolyak, a chief adviser to President Zelenksy, told The Independent. “The instantaneous death of a large number of fish and animals, the waterlogging of drained lands, and the change in the climatic regime of the region, will later be reflected in the food security of the world. “A one-time reduction of water in a huge reservoir will lead to unpredictable ecological consequences.” Mr Podolyak warned that he expected the floodwaters to reach Mykolaiv, lying 56 miles from the dam and decried the drowning of the entire population of animals at the Kazkova Dibrova zoo on the Russian-held eastern bank of the river as particularly tragic. President Zelensky has already rebuked the officials installed by Moscow to run occupied territories along that bank for failing to respond adequately to the emergency. The Russian authorities he criticised have conceded that they have evacuated fewer than 1,300 people so far in an area where as many as 40,000 people were said to be affected. That compared unfavourably with the estimated 1,700 evacuated on the Ukrainian side to the west, where the population was reportedly around 42,000. According to the independent Russian news outlet Vyorstka, residents of the Moscow-run village of Oleshky, for one, remain stranded, the publisher quoting one woman as saying that her mother, who could not make it to the roof, was in the water clutching a ladder. A volunteer confirmed to Vyorstka that those still awaiting evacuation included children and disabled people. Civilians in Kherson itself were seen clutching personal belongings as they waded through knee-deep water in the streets and rode rubber rafts. Video on social media showed rescuers carrying others to safety and what looked like the triangular roof of a building floating downstream. Aerial footage showed flooded streets in the Russian-controlled city of Nova Kakhovska itself, where Mayor Vladimir Leontyev said seven people were missing, although they were believed to be alive. But perhaps most striking of all has been the aerial shots of the region captured by Maxar Technologies, which give the fullest picture of the damage done seen so far. Additional reporting by agencies Read More Ukraine-Russia war news – live: Exploding mines float through floodwater after Kherson dam attack Massive destruction after Ukraine dam collapse revealed in new satellite images Watch view of flooding in Kherson after destruction of Dnipro river dam The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-06-08 06:02
You Might Like...
Hollywood on edge for actor strike deadline as talks sour
Police charge Leeds fan with assault over Eddie Howe confrontation
'Today' host Hoda Kotb shows off her toned figure in sleeveless dress as Jenna Bush Hager lauds her 'strong' arms
Internet labels IShowSpeed 'jealous' over his reaction to Lionel Messi getting kissed by Migue Granados
'Stolen' totem pole prepared for return to Canada
University of Washington asks court to dismiss Oregon State, Washington State's suit against Pac-12
We want drama – Mark Bonner ready for another exciting season at Cambridge
Why are soap operas still airing during SAG-AFTRA strike? Soap actors allegedly fall outside its jurisdiction
