Vinicius Jr needs protecting - or racism will drive him from LaLiga
It is another week in LaLiga. Once home to Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, the Spanish top-flight is going through a period where it has a relative scarcity of stars: it does not have Erling Haaland, it does not have Kylian Mbappe. It does, though, have Vinicius Jr, the leading light of Real Madrid and the new face of Brazilian football, an unmissable, thrilling forward with lightning feet and a ruthless edge in front of goal. Thanks to Vinicius Jr, LaLiga may be able to claim it has the best player in the world once again. He is the most important player in the division - and he is routinely a victim of vile, despicable racist abuse at away grounds. On Sunday, Vinicius Jr had enough, sent off after he was targeted with monkey chants during a 1-0 defeat at Valencia, the latest incident to bring shame on Spanish football. The 22-year-old pointed out fans to the referee who had racially abused him at the Mestalla and as tempers flared between the two teams he was shown a red card for shoving Valencia striker Hugo Duro, even though Vinicius Jr had been held back from around the neck moments before. Vinicius Jr was in tears, the pain written clearly across his face, unable to prevent what was unfolding again. Courageously, Vinicius Jr called out LaLiga, where he said racism had become “normal”. Spain, he went on, was known as a “country of racists” in Brazil after the events of this season, with abuse “encouraged” by opponents. Yet amid the widespread condemnation of the incident, Vinicius Jr was criticised by the LaLiga president, Javier Tebas, for “insulting” the organisation. The manner Tebas chose to respond was reflective of an attitude that has seeped into the roots of Spanish football, where the racist abuse Vinicius Jr receives on an almost weekly basis is somehow his fault, and is a response to how he plays the game. It is an attitude that is broadcast on TV, with Vinicius Jr accused of “provoking” opposition players and fans as the incident unfolded on Sunday night. The Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti, who himself appeared to be at breaking point as he condemned the “unacceptable” scenes at the Mestalla, was made to justify how Vinicius Jr reacted, as journalists questioned the Italian on whether the abuse the Brazilian received was actually racist, despite the videos that had already been broadcast around the world. Then there was Tebas, the figure who should have been protecting Vinicius Jr from abuse, turning Vinicius Jr’s criticism of racism into a divisive issue. Political figures in Brazil, including president Lula, were aghast. There is now, at least, what promises to be stern action, after Vinicius Jr shifted the focus onto Spanish football more intensely than before. Real Madrid have filed an official complaint to the Spanish attorney general’s office for the abuse to be treated as a hate crime and LaLiga will take “appropriate legal action” if required. Valencia will issue lifetime bans to the fans they identify. But this is also the ninth instance of racist abuse against Vinicius Jr to be reported to prosecutors this season. LaLiga presented that as some sort of sign that their response to racist abuse was working, but there have yet to be convictions, let alone sanctions against clubs, and wider inaction has also led to this point. At the start of the season, it was about Vinicius Jr’s dancing - the Brazilian would mark his goals with a celebration inspired by samba, funk, and reggaeton, that traced back to Black history and Brazilian culture. Vinicius Jr was racially abused for it - his dancing “criminalised”. He was accused of “playing the monkey” on Spanish TV, a disgusting racial slur. Before Real Madrid visited rivals Atletico in the first derby of the season, the Atletico captain Koke said Vinicius would expect “trouble” if he danced in front of the home supporters. Real Madrid won 2-1 and Vinicius Jr defied Koke’s warning. He was jeered and whistled throughout, abused outside of the stadium before the match and inside while he played. No action was taken by the Madrid prosecutors after the incident was filed in court. While the monkey noises were "unpleasant and disrespectful”, the ruling said, they were “in the context of football rivalry”. The racist abuse of Vinicius Jr continued. “LaLiga continues to do nothing,” Vinicius Jr said in December. “I will continue with my head held high and celebrating my victories and those of Madrid.” In January, before Madrid played Atletico in the reverse fixture, Vinicius Jr was the target of an effigy hung from a motorway bridge in Madrid. There were strong statements on condemnation from both Atletico and LaLiga - yet the abuse became more regular over the second half of the season, at Barcelona, at Mallorca, another week, another away ground, another shameful moment. It had become routine. There now needs to be change. The head of the Spanish football federation has admitted for the first time that the country has a “serious problem” with racism. LaLiga and its president must be next to seriously look within itself, rather than criticising the victim. Fifa, too, must realise its three-step protocol for dealing with racism incidents is failing to protect players. Vinicius Jr has been left without a “defence”, he said. Ancelotti said he wanted Real Madrid to walk off the pitch, and that may need to be the next step - or else Vincius Jr is ultimately driven out of LaLiga, and the racists win. Read More Commentator sparks outrage for criticising Vinicius Jr reaction after facing racist abuse Real Madrid file ‘hate crime’ complaint after racial abuse of Vinicius Jr ‘Racism is normal in LaLiga’: Vinicius Junior sent off after facing racist abuse at Valencia
2023-05-23 14:21
Real Madrid players show support for Vinicius Junior with shirt gesture
Real Madrid players all wore Vinicius Junior shirts ahead of their La Liga game with Rayo Vallecano.
2023-05-25 02:30
'His worst nightmare': Kevin Costner 'still trying to save his marriage' with Christine Baumgartner
Baumgartner, 49, filed for divorce from the 'Yellowstone' star after nearly 19 years of marriage, citing irreconcilable differences
1970-01-01 08:00
Donald Trump Jr facing calls to be banned from Australia
A petition has been launched in Australia calling for a ban on Donald Trump Jr from visiting the country for a right-wing event next month. By Monday nearly 15,000 people had signed the Change.org petition protesting against the former president’s eldest son attending the “Turning Point Australia” event. The group is affiliated with right-wing provocateur Charlie Kirk’s “Turning Point USA”, which aims to reach the next generation of conservatives. Nigel Farage is expected to join Mr Trump on his trip. “Donald Trump Junior is a far-right agitator who spreads bigotry wherever he goes,” Omar Hassan of the Campaign Against Racism & Fascism said in a statement. “His visit is likely to be a magnet for far-right and neo-Nazi groups across Melbourne, so we will be there in numbers to send the message that people here reject and despise everything they stand for.” And he added: “Trump Jr is a prominent far-right spokesperson, famous for his aggressive racist and transphobic campaigning. “He was an instrumental part of his father’s 2016 presidential run, and has since been part of attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, including the violence on January 6. We’re protesting him to stand against white supremacy, transphobia, and misogyny.” Activists say that if Mr Trump is allowed into Australia a protest will take place on 11 July at the State Library of Victoria. Read More Sketch artist defends controversial take on Trump arraignment Shocking emails reveal Donald Trump Jr making offensive comments about Mexicans and Black people Trump pleads not guilty as he makes history as first president to be criminally charged – twice Trump news – live: Bill Barr slams Trump’s ‘absurd’ classified papers defence as ex-attorney quits CNN lawsuit Trump praises Melania’s ‘attitude’ as she skips arraignment: ‘She doesn’t care that much’
2023-06-20 07:56
AI Mentions on the Rise in Tech Earnings Calls as Recession Talk Fades
Tech firms in the US are talking less about recession and more about artificial intelligence this earnings season,
2023-07-28 19:17
'Unsung heroes': $50,000 for rain-hit Asia Cup groundstaff
All too often ignored in favour of the big name sport stars, cricketing groundstaff who kept the rain-hit Asia Cup running were promised a $50,000...
2023-09-17 21:15
Battlefield Mobile Open Beta: How to Participate
Players looking to join the Battlefield Mobile open beta will be able to do so only if they are from select countries.
1970-01-01 08:00
China's Leapmotor looks to sell EV tech as it targets export growth
MUNICH China's Leapmotor needs to increase its sales by five times or more to survive a consolidating EV
2023-09-05 16:27
Federal judge rejects Tennessee drag show ban as unconstitutional
By Timothy Gardner WASHINGTON A federal judge has ruled that Tennessee's law restricting drag performances in public or
2023-06-03 23:54
Medal of Honor recipient watches as warship bearing his name is christened in Maine
A warship bearing the name of a Medal of Honor recipient has been christened at Navy shipbuilder Bath Iron Works, and the ship's namesake was on hand to witness the event
2023-07-30 02:11
Polarized world threatens open internet: ICANN
After 25 years of keeping the internet strong and stable, the nonprofit ICANN -- responsible for its technical infrastructure -- is warning that increasingly polarized geopolitics could start cracking...
2023-11-22 10:22
Populist right set to sweep Swiss polls
As the final votes were being cast Sunday in Switzerland's general elections, right-wing populists look set to sweep the polls following a campaign fuelled by anti-mass migration rhetoric...
2023-10-22 17:15
You Might Like...
35 of the best 2023 Women's World Cup photos from Getty Images
Walmart Explores Buying Majority Stake in ChenMed
indie Semiconductor Launches Unparalleled Automotive Wireless Charging Solution
Kuss secures Spanish Vuelta victory to become first American to win a Grand Tour race in a decade
The average wedding just hit $29,000
Bears can breathe at least a little easier at bye after ugly win at Minnesota
Khloé Kardashian reveals unexpected gift tooth fairy brought five-year-old daughter
Arsenal swoop for Dutch defender Timber
