
'Queer Eye': Fab Five help 'Dating On Demand' star Dan Stein become dream man for his girlfriend at 50
Dan Stein who first appeared on 'Dating on Demand' was nominated on 'Queer Eye' by his girlfriend's daughter
1970-01-01 08:00

How far is Rex Heuermann's home from the Gilgo Beach murders sites? Crime scene map shows where bodies of victims were discovered
Police found the Gilgo Beach murders' victims bodies within a quarter mile from each other
2023-07-15 21:14

Bruno Fernandes warns Alejandro Garnacho after meteoric Man Utd rise
Bruno Fernandes has hailed the abilities of Manchester United teammate Alejandro Garnacho but warns he must stay focused to fulfil his true potential.
1970-01-01 08:00

3 more Houston Astros who won't be back after ALCS Game 7
After falling short in their pursuit of back-to-back World Series championships, the Houston Astros will have some roster turnover this offseason.
2023-10-25 01:11

Singapore seen holding monetary policy in delicate balancing act
By Chen Lin SINGAPORE Singapore is likely to leave monetary policy unchanged this month, as the city-state grapples
2023-10-03 12:00

3 reasons the Miami Marlins are the surprise of the 2023 season
The Miami Marlins are now 10 games over .500, but they've done it in the most unconventional way.For the first time since 2011, when they were still named the Florida Marlins, the Miami Marlins are 10 games over .500, standing at 42-32.But none of it really makes sense.Not only does...
2023-06-21 21:55

More than 'FRIENDS': Exploring the roles that earned Matthew Perry Emmy nominations and an enduring legacy
Matthew Perry's versatility as a performer was evident in the many nuanced characters he played on TV and movies
2023-10-29 19:13

French dealer sued for buying African mask ‘rarer than da Vinci painting’ for £130 and selling it for £3.7m
A second-hand deader in France is facing a lawsuit for allegedly deceiving a couple by selling an African mask at almost a 2,800,000 per cent markup. An unnamed pensioner couple, who live in Eure-et-Loir, south-west of Paris, sold the rare mask to the dealer at €150 (£130) who further sold it at €4.2m (£3.7m). As the case brought by the French couple opened on Tuesday, the dealer appeared in court. But the Gabon government and campaigners have said that the rare artefact should instead be returned to its country of origin. The rare 19th-Century "Ngi" mask which was made by the Fang people of Gabon was lying in dust in the attic of the couple’s holiday home in Gard, southern France. The couple had called the dealer as they had decided to sell their home. The wooden mask was found in a cupboard in the house that belonged to the man’s grandfather, René-Victor Fournier, who had been a colonial administrator in Africa in the early 20th Century. The dealer bought several items from the couple, including the wooden mask. It was six months later that the couple while reading a newspaper found out that the mask had been in action in Montpellier and that it was an artefact even rarer than Leonardo da Vinci’s painting. The couple said they had “almost fallen off their chairs” when they recognised the photo and the auction catalogue said it was collected around 1917, in unknown circumstances by the French colonial governor René-Victor Edward Maurice Fournier (1873-1931), probably during a tour in Gabon”. The discovery prompted excitement among art dealers and media, with one expert telling a French TV that only 10 such items were made by Fang masters. “This type of mask is even rarer than a Leonardo da Vinci painting – we know of 22 paintings by the great master, but we only know of 10 to 12 masks created by the different Fang masters in Gabon,” the expert said. At an auction in March 2022, the mask was bought for £3.7m by an unnamed person bidding by phone after being initially valued at £2,60,860. The couple later filed a civil suit against the dealer for giving them an unfair price and demanded the sale be annulled. During the hearing in an Ales court, the lawyers for the couple contended that the couple should receive the profits from action fairly after they unknowingly sold it at £130. “One has to be in good faith and honest; my clients would never have given up this mask at that price if they knew it was an extremely rare object,” their lawyer, Frédéric Mansat Jaffré, said this month to French outlets. Representatives of the Gabon government however said that the mask was stolen in the first place and should be returned. Solange Bizeau of the Collectif Gabon Occitanie said: “That mask was stolen at the time of colonisation … All these works of art – and so many that we see in museums – were taken, and the people who made them were told they were the devil’s work and they should instead believe in the Bible. And from that point on, these artefacts have appeared in Europe, enriching people who have made money from them for decades.” “This mask has a soul, it was used to establish justice in our villages. The discussion in court has been about morality, but what about the morality of the spoliation of works of art and our dignity? Where is the morality in that?” A decision by the court is expected in December. Read More US removes four African countries from trade deal for ‘gross human rights violation’ UN Security Council fails again to address Israel-Hamas war, rejecting US and Russian resolutions Kyiv preparing for ‘new wave’ of attacks on Avdiivka’ - latest Kyiv preparing for ‘new wave’ of attacks on Avdiivka’ - latest Nato chief says Russia must not be allowed ‘to take pieces of Ukraine’ Family of nine shot dead as they slept in Russian-occupied Ukrainian town
2023-11-01 17:07

Swagg Says the P90 is the Best SMG in Warzone Following Buffs
Warzone content creator Swagg says the P90 has surpassed the Armaguerra as the best SMG in the game.
1970-01-01 08:00

A weekslong heat wave will intensify this weekend and push temperatures close to 130 degrees
An already dangerous weekslong heat wave will only worsen this weekend as a heat dome intensifies and reaches peak strength over parts of the Western United States.
2023-07-15 05:02

Activists slam conditions at Europe's fur farms, seek ban
Animal rights group on Friday decried conditions at 31 fur farms in Europe, following the emergence of videos showing dead mutilated foxes lying in cages...
2023-11-17 17:56

Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder in January? Key questions answered
Anthony Joshua remains on course for a future bout with Deontay Wilder after he produced a spectacular stoppage of Robert Helenius at London’s O2 Arena on Saturday night. Joshua claimed the 26th victory of his professional career with a first knockout in three years, but even before this bout all the pre-fight talk was about what next for the British heavyweight. Here, the PA news agency takes a look at the state of play for the former two-time world heavyweight champion. Was the booing justified? The Matchroom show had been in doubt a week earlier when Dillian Whyte had to be withdrawn after “adverse analytical findings” were discovered in his doping test with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA). It saw Helenius drafted in at the 11th hour but while there is no doubt a sold-out O2 Arena would have been happy to see Joshua in action, they clearly wanted more from the former Olympian during the first half of the 12-rounder. Joshua faced whistles and boos during round three and jeers followed after another pedestrian round saw the contest reach its halfway point. A thunderous right hand ensured the next outburst by spectators inside the London venue was applause. DJ getting a tune out of AJ? While Joshua was tentative early on against Helenius and did not want to initially trade off with the 39-year-old, some context must be provided. The Finchley boxer had only a week to prepare for his Finnish opponent and there is a number of inches difference between Whyte and Helenius, which would have brought out a significant adjustment for the home favourite. Joshua struggled to land with his right hand early on but was urged to keep persevering by highly-respected trainer Derrick James in only their second bout together. James told Joshua to “keep shooting the right” and it landed emphatically during the seventh round with Helenius sent toppling to the canvas. Wilder next? Even before Whyte’s withdrawal, a large chunk of the discourse around Joshua was whether he would actually fight Wilder next. The former world heavyweight champions have been speculated to lock horns for several years and it would have been a unification contest as recently as four years ago. Joshua had to block out the noise to do the business against Helenius but after he did, all eyes are now on Wilder. Saudi Arabia promotional entity Skills Challenge is eager to host the mouth-watering clash and dates in January and February are being drawn up. So that’s that then? We have been here many times before, not only with Joshua and Wilder but Joshua and fellow Briton Tyson Fury. It seems getting the best of the heavyweight division in the ring together is one of the hardest jobs in the sport. However, there is a lot of reason for optimism on this occasion. A traditional stumbling block can be the fact world heavyweight champions have mandatory challengers to face, but with Joshua and Wilder holding no belts, they are free to fight whoever they wish. The money on offer should satisfy the demands of both boxers, but Wilder’s trainer Malik Scott did hint this week that his fighter would like to be active before fighting Joshua. An October bout was proposed but even if that happens, these two generational heavyweights should still trade blows in 2024. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Neymar closing in on move to Saudi Arabian club Al Hilal Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder in January? Key questions answered Ange Postecoglou says Eric Dier is still part of his plans at Tottenham
2023-08-14 16:42
You Might Like...

Thousands more evacuated as Greece battles wildfires

Frank Ocean previews new track for 24 hours

As FDA advisers consider OTC birth-control pill, agency scientists worry it won't work due to women's weight and likelihood of following label

'I had to be good': Archie Madekwe needed to drive perfectly in Gran Turismo

LME Fights to Regain Trust After Last Year’s Nickel Crisis

Navy vs Notre Dame matchup history: Previous meetings, records

Harrison Ford does not need anybody's help getting off a horse

Boarding a plane is a nightmare. Here's how we got here