
Jodi Jones relishing chance to take on England after overcoming injury despair
Jodi Jones was wooed by Malta on Instagram and now he is looking for a picture perfect finish against England. The Bow-born forward is ready for Friday’s Euro 2024 qualifier against Gareth Southgate’s side and he has been ready for some time. Three cruciate ligament injuries in just over three years at Coventry put his career on hold and thwarted a move to Leeds. His injury despair also delayed international recognition with Malta, who initially made contact with Jones via social media four years ago. But, having made his debut in last year’s Nations League loss to Estonia before winning promotion to the Football League at Wembley with Notts County this season, Jones is ready to make up for lost time. “I remember getting messages on Instagram. Obviously, I didn’t know if they were genuine but then they started contacting my family regularly,” he tells the PA news agency. “It was the president (Bjorn Vassallo) who reached out to me on there, then he got my number and was calling me a lot. It's got my love for the game back. It's been a great experience, playing international football, even just little things on a shirt like a badge that says Euro qualifiers Jodi Jones “I played against Luke (Gambin, Sutton’s Malta international) and he messaged me on Instagram saying they were asking about me out there. “Then they reached out to me not too long after that with a proper phone call and contacted the club, that’s when I thought, ‘oh, yeah, obviously this is genuine’. “I was injured at the time so I wasn’t really interested, not because I didn’t want to do it, I was interested but I just wanted to focus on getting back fit. As soon as I was and I thought I was back to my best I thought, ‘now’s the perfect time’.” A seventh appearance came in Friday’s 1-0 win in Luxembourg, a victory which may not resonate worldwide but against a team 80 places above them in the FIFA rankings it suggests quick progress in Michele Marcolini’s three games in charge. “It’s got my love for the game back. It’s been a great experience, playing international football, even just little things on a shirt like a badge that says Euro qualifiers,” says Jones. “As a kid when you get a football kit you want it to have everything on. I remember Arsenal kits when I was younger, I wanted the Champions League badge on it, I wanted the Premier League badge. I’m still like a kid when I see things like that. “It’s got my name back out there as well, which I really needed because if you mentioned my name, people say, ‘well, he’s done his ACL three times’. “Now, if you say my name they’ll say, ‘he did his ACL three times, but he’s still playing, he’s just been promoted with Notts County, he’s an international and is playing against England’. So the positives have overtaken now. “I just enjoy the little things, like just being able to play. I know how quickly things can change, especially with what I’ve been through.” The support of his family – and godparents Terry and Geraldine – has been crucial in helping Jones return from despair but it took dad Jay to remind him of how far he has come. “My godparents, they’ve sacrificed a lot for me. From the age of six they’ve taken me to football because my parents were very young when they had me,” said the 25-year-old, who made just two appearances for Coventry between November 2018 and August 2021 because of injury. “Without them I definitely wouldn’t be a footballer. I can’t thank them enough. For my parents and my partner I’d say it’s more they’re just relieved to see me back playing. “My dad said to me the other day, ‘for all you’ve been through you’ve still played at Wembley twice, you’re going to be playing against England, you’ve been promoted two or three times’. “He said for someone to have missed so much you’ve also achieved so much. “Being from England and watching England when I was a kid, playing against them would mean just a little bit more. It’ll just be a massive thing. “I’m just really excited my family can come and watch me play. I want to be able to be a role model to them, just show them to follow your dreams and they can come true.” Jones has Maltese connections on both sides of his family but more on his father’s side with Jay and mum, Frances, flying out. His partner Zoe, children and godparents will be at the Ta’ Qali Stadium for the Group C game. He also remains close with James Maddison, remaining in a WhatsApp group with former Coventry team-mates with the ribbing about trying to keep up with the Leicester star ongoing. Friday will cap his comeback season after Notts County’s dramatic National League play-off promotion. Last month, Jones’ first goal since October 2018 sent the Magpies to Wembley after his last-minute extra-time winner capped a thrilling 3-2 semi-final victory over Boreham Wood before a penalty shoot-out win over Chesterfield in the final. Jones, who made his senior debut at 16 for Dagenham in 2014, scored in the shoot-out and knows how special one more goal on Friday would be. “I’ve pictured it loads of times, whether it’ll happen is another thing,” says Jones, who joined the Magpies permanently this month after leaving Oxford. “I believe in my ability and I know if I get one chance I will take it.”
2023-06-14 17:00

Matthew Perry cut a key Friends storyline over fear fans would 'never forgive' Chandler
Matthew Perry was ready to fight for his most iconic character’s reputation, a fellow ‘Friends’ actor has revealed. Lisa Cash, 54, who was an extra in the series, opened up about how her role in the show was changed and trimmed down thanks to Perry’s intervention – but she thinks it was the right decision. Speaking to TMZ, Cash explained that Chandler Bing (played by Perry) was supposed to cheat on his wife Monica Geller (Courteney Cox) during a Season 5 episode titled ‘The One in Vegas: Part 1’. Cash was hired to play a hotel worker who brings room service to Chandler’s room after he has a major fight with Monica, and the two were supposed to have a secret tryst. “Basically, the scene was Chandler and Monica were arguing In Vegas about Monica having lunch with Richard (Monica’s ex) and initially in our script, Chandler goes up to the hotel room, orders room service and I bring it up as a hotel worker,” the 54-year-old recounted. “And we end up talking and laughing and connecting and… Chandler ends up cheating on Monica with my character.” However, Perry knew his audience too well, and insisted that ‘Friends’ fanatics would be up in arms if the storyline were to go ahead. “We had rehearsed it and everything and then the day before we were shooting it in front of a live audience, I was told that Chandler went to the writers and said the fans will never forgive him for cheating on Monica.” She then conceded: “He was probably right. That would have changed possibly the course of the show and of his character.” Matthew Perry Removed 'Friends' Script Plans To Have Chandler Cheat On Monica | TMZ www.youtube.com Cash admitted that the axed role could have been a “game-changer” for her career, but said she was grateful for not being completely cut from the episode. Instead, she was given the part of a flight attendant who interacts with Ross and Rachel (David Schwimmer and Jennifer Aniston). Indeed, the 54-year-old was full of praise for ‘Friends’s staff and crew, particularly the late great Perry. “It was just so neat to work with him because I was coming in and I was new to the industry and it could have been really intimidating for me,” she explained. “But I just felt so comfortable and he was really likeable and welcoming and just made me feel at ease.” Cash’s revelation came as Perry’s fans and family continue to grieve the comic icon following his shock death, aged 54, on 28 October. The 17 Again star was reportedly laid to rest on Friday (3 November), at a LA cemetery in a service attended by his loved-ones, including his five most famous co-stars: Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer. Mourners gathered at the Forest Lawn cemetery in the Hollywood Hills neighbourhood, less than a mile from the Warner Brothers studio where ‘Friends’ was filmed. The cause and manner of Perry's death are to be determined by the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner's Office, upon completion of an autopsy with toxicology tests. His tragic passing came just one year after the publication of his memoir, ‘Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing,’ which chronicled his decades-long struggle with addiction to prescription painkillers and alcohol. At the time, Perry said he had been sober for about 18 months. Also on Friday, a foundation in Perry's name was launched to support people struggling with addiction. The Matthew Perry Foundation "will honour his legacy and be guided by his own words and experiences and driven by his passion for making a difference in as many lives as possible," according its website. The site leads with a quote from Perry, saying: "When I die, I don't want 'Friends' to be the first thing that's mentioned - I want helping others to be the first thing that's mentioned." Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings
2023-11-07 17:16

rf IDEAS, Manufacturer of Credential Readers for Authentication and Logical Access, Announces Partnership With Soloinsight, Specializing in Cyber-Physical Identity Convergence, to Offer a More Secure and Reliable Access Management Solution
CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul 13, 2023--
2023-07-13 20:00

Roundup: NBA Schedule Released; Miley Cyrus Announces New Single; Michael Lewis Speaks on Michael Oher Situation
The 2023-24 NBA schedule has been released ... Miley Cyrus announces new single ... Michael Lewis speaks on Michael Oher-Tuhoy family situation ... Out-of-control wildfires in Canada force evacuations in Yellowknife ... Mortgage rate hit highest mark in 21 years ... Honeybee-hunting hornet spotted in US ... Things don't sound good for Wander Franco ... Hurricane Hilary could hit Southwest US ... Hawaii is vowing to protect landowners on Maui from being pressured to sell after wildfires ... World chess body bars trans women from competing in women’s events ... Trial of two white Mississippi men in shooting attack on Black FedEx driver ends in mistrial ... Colt McCoy announced as new host of Underdog's Scheme podcast ...
2023-08-18 19:00

California Puts a Price on Slavery’s Legacy and Draws a Blueprint for Reparations
The numbers are striking in their precision. The statistical value of each year of human life, accounting for
2023-06-07 07:00

Chief Justice John Roberts seeks to assure the public about the Supreme Court's ethics
Chief Justice John Roberts said Tuesday night that he wants to assure the public that the Supreme Court is committed to adhering to the "highest standards of conduct," appearing to direct his remarks at critics of the high court amid recent ethics controversies.
2023-05-24 11:29

An orphaned teenager who was taken to Russia early in the Ukraine war is back home with relatives
An orphaned Ukrainian teenager who was taken to Russia last year during the war in his country returned home on his 18th birthday
2023-11-20 00:05

As if air travel isn't hard enough, 5G wireless signals could disrupt flights starting this weekend
Airline passengers dealing with weather delays could face a new source of disruptions this weekend
2023-07-01 12:38

Breakfast at Burberry’s: Fashion house launches collaboration with London café
Burberry has launched a project designed to mix British luxury with everyday life – and it’ll all start with their take on the most important meal of the day. The heritage fashion house has announced a new initiative, Burberry Streets, which will see the brand take a more prominent place within a selection of cities. Through experiences, installations and events across cities such as London, Seoul and Shanghai, Burberry will showcase signature elements of the brand, such as the seasonal check pattern in knight blue, rose print, and the newly redefined Equestrian Knight Design. In London, the Burberry Streets takeover will begin with the brand having a major presence in Norman’s Cafe, a restaurant in Archway that serves all-day breakfast food, as well as sandwiches. As part of London Fashion Week, which runs from 15 to 19 September, a travelling Norman’s food truck will make appearances on The Strand and Duke of York Square. The food establishment shared news of the collaboration with a post on social media on Monday (11 September). Alongside an image of a meal of two fried eggs and chunky chips, on a plate branded with the Burberry logo in blue, the straightforward caption reads: “2 eggs & chips. @burberry will be taking over Norman’s cafe for London fashion week, Wednesday to Sunday.” In response, fans of both the brand and the restaurant voiced their approval for the impending linkup. “Name a more iconic duo I’ll wait!” reads one supportive comment, while another Instagram user deemed it “the Great British pairing”. Outside of the collaboration with Norman’s Cafe, Burberry Streets will incorporate symbols of the house in multiple locations across the capital. Flags featuring the new rose print will fly above Bond Street and Piccadilly’s screens will be lit up with videos from the Winter 2023 campaign. The Equestrian Knight will take to the streets in the form of chalk stencils on paths and in parks, while black cabs will be wrapped in Daniel Lee’s English rose print. Burberry Streets will land in Seoul and Shanghai in October. Lee’s first collection for the brand, Winter 2023, is available now. In a statement, Rod Manley, the Chief Marketing Officer of Burberry, shared the company’s anticipation for the designer’s work to reach buyers. “We are so excited to see Daniel’s first collection arriving in-store and online,” he said. “With our redesigned website, new brand signifiers across product and branding and the launch of our global Burberry Streets initiative here in our home market, we're looking forward to sharing the new Burberry world with our clients.” Read More How Burberry evolved from humble raincoat maker to luxury fashion giant Kate Middleton re-wears Alexander McQueen suit to watch England beat Argentina in Rugby World Cup Kanye West’s ‘wife’ Bianca Censori uses pillow to cover nearly nude outfit in latest Italy controversy Secondhand September: The best places to buy pre-loved fashion online How Burberry evolved from humble raincoat maker to luxury fashion giant Kate Middleton re-wears Alexander McQueen suit to watch Rugby World Cup
2023-09-11 22:44

Is Kevin Spacey broke? Actor who 'lost job' before criminal case that cost him $1.3M in trial now faces civil lawsuits
'I lost my job, I lost my reputation - I lost everything, in a matter of days,' Kevin Spacey previously told the judge during his trial
2023-08-13 01:31

South Africa’s Climate Pact to Channel Money to Coal Belt
South Africa’s investment plan for the $8.8 billion pledged in climate finance by some of the world’s richest
2023-11-24 14:14

Scientists have found a novel virus at the bottom of the ocean
Scientists have discovered a new virus in the Pacific that is thought to be the deepest ever found in Earth’s oceans. The so-called bacteriophage virus infects and replicates inside bacteria, and was found in the Mariana Trench, which is the Pacific’s deepest point. Bacteriophages are among the world’s most abundant life forms, and are important for regulating population sizes in the oceans and releasing nutrients. This one, the catchily named vB_HmeY_H4907, was picked up at 8,900 metres below sea level. That is still some way off the 11,000 metre floor of the trench. Min Wang, a marine virologist from the Ocean University of China, said: “To our best knowledge, this is the deepest known isolated phage in the global ocean.” “Wherever there’s life, you can bet there are regulators at work. Viruses, in this case.” Scientists think this virus is likely to be distributed widely in the world’s oceans, despite the fact it has only been discovered. It has a similar structure to its host bacteria group halomonas. These are usually found in sediments and geyser-like openings on the seafloor. They also think the virus is lysogenic, which means it infects the host but does not kill it. Dr Wang said the discovery could inform further research about how viruses survive in the world’s harshest environments. “Extreme environments offer optimal prospects for unearthing novel viruses,” he added. The virus was found in the so-called hadal zone, which the study’s authors said is “the planet’s least explored and most mysterious environment, and it is the deepest habitat for life on Earth’s surface”. The area is named after Hades, the Greek god of the underworld. Researchers wrote in the study: “These findings expand our understanding of the phylogenetic diversity and genomic features of hadal lysogenic phages, provide essential information for further studies of phage-host interactions and evolution, and may reveal new insights into the lysogenic lifestyles of viruses inhabiting the hadal ocean.” The findings were published in the journal Microbiology Spectrum. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-09-21 20:41
You Might Like...

West African leaders meet over Niger coup, junta warns against intervention

Erik ten Hag confirms return of two key players from injury for trip to Galatasaray

England Under-21s defender Jarrad Branthwaite was close to giving up on football

Boxer Claressa Shields, basketball player Natalie Schneider win Sportswoman of the Year awards

Bills secondary is in safe hands with Hyde and Poyer back together for a seventh season

Adin Ross and IShowSpeed sort things out during live stream: 'All good in the hood'

Sean Strickland shocks Israel Adesanya and MMA world with title win at UFC 293

Judge hits 464-foot homer. Yankees beat Marlins 9-4 in series opener