'Djokovic does nothing wrong,' says Alcaraz
Carlos Alcaraz on Sunday summed up the unique challenge of facing Novak Djokovic by insisting his rival...
2023-07-02 22:59
MLS Matchday 34: Showdowns with MLS playoff impact
It’s Matchday 34 in MLS and there are a few matchups that should be nothing short of electric.
2023-09-27 03:28
‘Nobody can beat this Canelo’: Alvarez dominates Jermell Charlo for statement win in undisputed clash
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez dominated Jermell Charlo on Saturday night, dropping the American en route to a one-sided points win in their historic undisputed title fight. Canelo entered the T-Mobile Arena as undisputed super-middleweight champion, and he left Las Vegas with that status intact after defeating Charlo, the undisputed super-welterweight champion. Canelo won a unanimous decision (119-108, 118-109, 118-109), with the highlight coming in Round 7, as the Mexican dropped Charlo to a knee after landing a hard overhand right. Canelo, 33, marched down Charlo, also 33, for almost the entirety of the fight – the first to pit two undisputed male champions against each other in the four-belt era – and was unaffected by his challenger’s brighter moments. In the first half of the fight, Canelo invested in attacks to Charlo’s body, frequently burrowing hooks into the mid-section of the American, whose twin brother Jermall was originally expected to fight Alvarez here. That body work not only drained Charlo but also lured the challenger’s hands low enough to expose his head, which Canelo tagged clean on a number of occasions, including for the knockdown. Charlo’s coach Derrick James told his fighter after the 10th round: “You’ve got to go all out. You’re losing the fight, so what do you wanna do? Go and stop him, he’s tired now!” However, Charlo could not capitalise. Canelo, with his victory, became the first champion to retain their undisputed titles three times; earlier this year, the Mexican outpointed John Ryder, having scored a knockdown en route to a unanimous-decision win, and last year he beat Gennady Golovkin on points to round out their trilogy. Canelo’s performances in those fights, as well as his prior defeat by Dmitry Bivol at light-heavyweight, led some fans and pundits to suggest that the four-weight world champion was past his peak. But Alvarez hit back in the ring and on the microphone on Saturday. “Nobody can beat this Canelo,” he said after his win. “No, [I’m not disappointed that I didn’t get a knockout]. If I don’t get that knockout, I get 12 rounds to show why I’m the better fighter. “I’m a strong fighter, I’m a strong man. We know he’s a great fighter, he knows how to move in the ring. We worked to go to the body. We worked on that for three months in the mountains without my family, but I still love boxing. I love boxing so f***ing much. Boxing is my life, and I love it because of my fans, too. “ [On] Cinco de Mayo [I’ll be back]. Whoever, I don’t f***ing care. Viva Mexico!” Meanwhile, Charlo said: “Truthfully, you could feel the difference in the weight. I went up 14lbs, I dared to be great tonight. I’m proud of myself. He didn’t knock me out, he knocked out a lot of other guys. He hit me with some hard shots.” The American also vowed to return to super-welterweight, calling for a fight with undisputed welterweight champion Terence Crawford, who was in attendance. Crawford has said he may move up a division after his planned rematch with Errol Spence Jr, whom he beat with a masterful showing in July. Read More Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk ‘signed’ with undisputed heavyweight title fight confirmed Eddie Hearn: ‘Ask someone to name three people in boxing, they’ll say: Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua, me’ The hidden side of Jake Paul The Independent’s pound-for-pound boxing rankings Canelo vs Charlo LIVE: Result as Alvarez retains undisputed titles Amir Khan was never dull – but will he ever be truly loved?
2023-10-01 14:10
Got game? Automakers show off in-car entertainment options at CES
By Joseph White and Dawn Chmielewski LAS VEGAS What started out as a novelty offered by Elon Musk
1970-01-01 08:00
Australia's Commonwealth Bank posts record profit as rates rise
Australia's biggest lender Commonwealth Bank reported a record annual profit Wednesday as it raked in money from customers forced to...
2023-08-09 09:48
Meta launches VR subscription service called Quest+
With Apple's Vision Pro threatening to take a chunk out of the virtual reality market,
2023-06-27 17:01
France's Pavard signs for Inter Milan from Bayern Munich
Benjamin Pavard has signed for Inter Milan from Bayern Munich, the Serie A club...
2023-08-31 03:57
Bruce Willis' daughter Tallulah says 'he is the same' in a heartfelt update amid his dementia diagnosis
'I see love when I’m with him, and it’s my dad and he loves me, which is really special,' Bruce Willis' daughter Tallulah Willis said
2023-11-09 02:35
Chinese livestreamers flock outdoors for late-night tips
In the dead of night on a bridge in southern China, around two dozen livestreamers sat crooning and chatting into microphones, their identical ring lights spaced a...
1970-01-01 08:00
Ron DeSantis campaign fires staff as Florida governor trails Trump in the polls
Ron DeSantis’ campaign has dismissed a number of staffers in an effort to trim costs months after the Florida governor entered the crowded 2024 GOP field. Politico first reported that around 10 staffers have parted ways in recent days. Some of the staffers may join an outside group affiliated with the DeSantis campaign, according to the report. Despite cruising to re-election in Florida on a hardline conservative agenda, Mr DeSantis has struggled to gain traction in the GOP primary. He consistently trails Donald Trump in polls as the former president has increased his attacks on Mr DeSantis. Campaign manager Generra Peck is under scrutiny for early staffing decisions, according to NBC News. “They never should have brought so many people on, the burn rate was way too high,” a GOP source told the network. “People warned the campaign manager but she wanted to hear none of it.” Mr DeSantis has focused his attention on Iowa in recent weeks, even telling reporters that he would consider Governor Kim Reynolds as a running-mate. The crucial first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses are less than six months away. The DeSantis campaign said the moves will allow the campaign to be more “nimble”. “Americans are rallying behind Ron DeSantis and his plan to reverse Joe Biden’s failures and restore sanity to our nation, and his momentum will only continue as voters see more of him in person, especially in Iowa,” Andrew Romeo said in a statement to The New York Times.. Defeating Joe Biden and the $72 million behind him will require a nimble and candidate-driven campaign, and we are building a movement to go the distance.” Read More 2024 GOP candidates desperate to make debate stage are finding creative ways to boost donor numbers DeSantis would consider Iowa's Reynolds as running mate, calls Trump's attack of her 'out of hand' Fundraising takeaways: Trump and DeSantis in their own tier as Pence and other Republicans struggle
2023-07-16 20:33
Lawsuit: YouTube and Reddit helped radicalize Buffalo mass shooter
Two new lawsuits argue that YouTube, along with its parent companies Alphabet and Google, and
2023-08-18 03:41
The best headphone deals to score before Prime Day
Prime Day is approaching fast, so if you're looking for new headphones, now's the time
2023-10-05 02:53
You Might Like...
German soccer club Mainz suspends player for 'unacceptable' social media post about Israel-Hamas war
TikTok users file lawsuit to block Montana ban
Pokemon Go Creator Niantic Suffers Metaverse Woes
'Pretending to live a civilian life': How pro-Ukrainian residents of occupied Melitopol feel daily fear
Israel demands Egypt help in full probe of deadly attack at border
F1 Hungarian Grand Prix LIVE: Race updates as Lewis Hamilton loses lead to Max Verstappen
ACC still standing with presence in rankings, statistics. And with different teams up top, for now
China's special envoy is on a Middle East mission. Peace is just part of the picture
