
Omegle anonymous chat app shuts down after 14 years
Omegle, a popular website used to video chat with strangers, is shutting down after almost 15 years. The closure comes amid increasing criticism that the site endangered its users, with reports of child sexual abuse and other crime on the platform. Omegle allowed users to sign up and then be launched into a video chat with another stranger using the site. The two could chat for as long as they wished – until they ended that conversation and embarked on a new one. The app was launched in 2009, and became popular almost straight away. Its founder said that its popularity was a result of “meeting new people being a basic human need”. Quickly, however, it became known for explicit and other criminal content. Leif K-Brooks, the company’s founder, admitted that Omegle had been misused, “including to commit unspeakably heinous crimes”. The site attempted to introduce new features to stop that misuse, such as “monitored chats” that would allow moderators to try and stop criminals using the site. But they did not work, and the site continued to receive criticism for its lack of safety. Now Mr K-Brooks has said that the criticism has become too much, and Omegle will shut down. The intensity of the fight over use of the site had forced him to decide to shut it down, he said, and it will stop working straight away. “As much as I wish circumstances were different, the stress and expense of this fight – coupled with the existing stress and expense of operating Omegle, and fighting its misuse – are simply too much. Operating Omegle is no longer sustainable, financially nor psychologically. Frankly, I don’t want to have a heart attack in my 30s,” wrote Leif K-Brooks, who has run the website since founding it. Omegle saw a huge surge in popularity during the pandemic, as people not only flocked to the site but recorded their interactions and shared them on social media. But that popularity also brought more awareness of the problems on the site, and increased criticism of it. Mr K-Brooks acknowledged that criticism. But he also suggested that at least some of it was in bad faith, and that it was intended to force the site to shut down. “In recent years, it seems like the whole world has become more ornery. Maybe that has something to do with the pandemic, or with political disagreements. Whatever the reason, people have become faster to attack, and slower to recognize each other’s shared humanity. One aspect of this has been a constant barrage of attacks on communication services, Omegle included, based on the behavior of a malicious subset of users,” he wrote. He said that the site had been shut down on the basis of “fear”. “If something as simple as meeting random new people is forbidden, what’s next?”, he wrote, comparing the end of Omegle to “shutting down Central Park because crime occurs there – or perhaps more provocatively, destroying the universe because it contains evil”. The decision to shut down Omegle comes amid increasing concern about regulation of the internet and how best to protect its users. It comes just days after the introduction of the UK’s Online Safety Act, for instance, which aims to hold platforms to account for crimes on their platform, including online grooming.
2023-11-09 20:22

Intel Jumps After Upbeat Forecast Shows Comeback Is Underway
Intel Corp. surged in late trading after predicting a return to sales growth in the fourth quarter, fueled
2023-10-27 06:57

The LYCRA Company launches new LYCRA® FiT400™ fiber
WILMINGTON, Del.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 14, 2023--
2023-11-14 18:00

Google Bard isn’t available where I live, so I asked ChatGPT to help me get access
I admit it: Until now, I didn't have time to properly try out Google's new
1970-01-01 08:00

Live updates | The Hamas attack on Israel
European leaders are condemning the Hamas attack and voicing solidarity with Israel
2023-10-07 18:28

England boss Sarina Wiegman disappointed not to win but no concerns with display
Sarina Wiegman was “very disappointed” England had not won but insisted the performance was not a concern after they were held to a goalless draw by Portugal in their Women’s World Cup warm-up match at Stadium MK. The European champions’ last home game before departing for this summer’s showpiece in Australia and New Zealand saw them unable to make a breakthrough despite creating a considerable number of chances. Georgia Stanway and Lucy Bronze both struck the woodwork and Alessia Russo was denied by a goalline block, while other notable moments included Rachel Daly having a header saved, Lauren Hemp heading over and Russo firing wide. Lionesses boss Wiegman said: “Of course my first thoughts are that I am, but also the team is, very disappointed that we didn’t win this game. “But we also take a lot of learnings from it and I think at moments we saw the things we really have been working on, that we wanted to show, a way of creating chances. “I think the first half we were a little bit too slow, the ball tempo was, and we had too many players behind the ball or very close to it, and then when we did break lines we didn’t have enough numbers higher up the pitch. I think we did that a lot better in the second half. “We had players higher on the pitch and created more chances, although I think in the first half we created a couple. But we just didn’t score. “I think we had moments that were really good and moments we could have done a little better.” Asked specifically about chances that fell to Daly, who started up front, and Russo, who replaced her at half-time, Wiegman said: “I think the first thing is you want to create lots of chances, and then see how we execute that. “And yes, it’s disappointing of course, they want to be ruthless and score those chances, and today they didn’t. It’s not a worry for me. “It’s just we want to get into those positions. When you got so much into those positions today – I think that’s pretty good. But of course we want to do the final touch too, and that’s to get the ball in the net. So we all know that.” The Dutchwoman added: “That was today a little problem, but if you see how many chances we created – I think we had 23 shots on goal – there won’t be many matches where we then don’t score.” England fly to Australia on Wednesday and face Canada behind closed doors in a final warm-up match on July 14 before opening their World Cup campaign against Haiti in Brisbane eight days later. When Wiegman, who made a treble change in personnel at the interval and six substitutions in total, was asked if she was closer to knowing her starting XI for the Haiti game than she had been before the Portugal contest, she said: “No. I’m not closer now. “I’m not sure if we get closer than this though. At the end you have to make decisions. I think in some positions it’s really tight. We have some time now. So, no, I’m not sure, and this is not the time to make the final decision because we still have a couple of weeks to go.” England were playing a Portugal outfit ranked 17 places below them at 21st and who will be making their first appearance at a World Cup finals this summer. Boss Francisco Neto said: “Playing in this kind of environment is not easy, and the emotional stability that we had during the game, I’m very happy with that, because it looks like the girls are ready for the environment that they will have in the World Cup.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Late reprieve for Ben Duckett keeps England’s hope of miracle chase alive Katie Boulter not feeling pressure of being British number one at Wimbledon Novak Djokovic still hungry as he bids for 24th Grand Slam singles title
2023-07-02 02:26

Why Marcus Rashford isn't playing for Man Utd against Galatasaray
Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford isn't playing in Wednesday night's Champions League game against Galatasaray, giving an opportunity for Antony to return to the team.
2023-11-30 01:00

Keanu Reeves returns for Cyberpunk 2077 expansion
Keanu Reeves will return as Johnny Silverhand for the upcoming 'Cyberpunk 2077' expansion.
1970-01-01 08:00

Jean Dawson is introducing fans to 3 new characters in his latest musical trilogy
Jean Dawson is pushing the boundaries of his experimental yet melodic sound with a 2023 trilogy showcasing his unique blend of rap, rock, punk and folk
2023-08-29 21:06

Where Does the Word ’Meme’ Come From?
The word predates social media.
2023-11-08 06:14

Alix Earle: TikTok's GRWM queen opens up to fans about her life in Miami
Alix Earle revealed some her favorite spots across Miami
2023-06-27 15:18

EU's Breton urges Big Tech to use new online content rules to restore trust
By Foo Yun Chee BRUSSELS Alphabet's Google, Meta Platforms, Microsoft, Twitter, TikTok and other tech giants should use
2023-08-24 04:59
You Might Like...

Darwinium Raises $18 Million to Accelerate Global Adoption of its Edge-based Digital Security and Fraud Prevention Platform

5 breakout fantasy football stars to pick up for Week 9

Ohio voters approve ballot proposal legalizing recreational marijuana use, as GOP weighs rewrite

'Young, Famous & African' star Zari Hassan remarries after divorce from ex Diamond Platnumz over infidelity

Pokemon GO Little Cup Tier List 2023

Meta begins process to end news access in Canada

South Korea raids US military bases in drugs probe

Emery plots long stay at ambitious Aston Villa