
Full list of possible charges against Hunter Biden that could see him jailed for 10 years
Special counsel David Weiss informed a federal judge in Delaware about the prosecution's intention to present the case to a grand jury
2023-09-07 16:32

Japan emperor says engagement with global south is key ahead of Indonesia trip
By Sakura Murakami TOKYO Japanese Emperor Naruhito on Thursday said working with developing countries will be key to
2023-06-15 20:22

Srebrenica: A Serbian scientist's long quest to name the dead
A forensic anthropologist tries to put names to the last 1,000 unidentified dead of a Bosnian War genocide.
2023-09-11 12:09

5 Broncos who won’t survive the rest of the 2023 season
Staring down a 1-4 hole in the 2023 season, the Denver Broncos could be prepared to make some changes from now until December.
2023-10-09 10:21

England survive penalty drama to reveal vital quality in Women’s World Cup dream
If England are to win this World Cup, they will scarcely endure a game as testing or as tense as this. A positive spin on this penalty shoot-out victory over Nigeria is that it could again be the making of them, adding to their resolve, with Chloe Kelly once more offering a decisive kick. A negative is that this should bring a reconsideration about what is possible, especially with the likelihood that Lauren James will miss two games if not all three potential ties left. Her teammates did her a huge favour here. This World Cup still remains as hard to work out as James’ decision to stand on Michelle Alozie in the second half, receiving a red card. England came very close to another surprise elimination as Nigeria proved to be their equals throughout the match. England should have been their superiors, really. The great irony is that the red card almost served England better – at least in this situation. Before then, the system and the set-up had been all wrong, as it clearly didn’t suit the returning Keira Walsh. She picked up another injury during this arduous evening in Brisbane. This strategic misstep meant Nigeria did all the attacking and had all the play. After the red, though, it was as if Randy Waldrum’s side didn’t know how to play against 10 women. Both sides looked like they’d forgotten how to attack. That continued into the shootout as the first two were missed. It was only Bethany England that set things right. For all the criticisms and questions that could come with this game, one element should be noted. It would have been very easy for England to wilt here, especially given the very feel of this World Cup with the United States going out the night before. Instead, there was a mental resolve there, that was clearly set by last summer. It was visible in the penalties too. It does give Sarina Wiegman even more to think about, though. She must reshuffle this team again, accommodating the absence of James – maybe until the final, if England even get that far. Jamaica or Colombia will give Wiegman’s side as tough a test in the quarter-final in Sydney. It is England’s attack – and in fact their very attacking mentality – that now requires the most consideration. England had specifically prepared for Nigeria’s physicality in the tackle, seeking to step off so as not to play that game, but it quickly became apparent this was almost too meek. They were giving up too much space and too many chances. Nigeria had more shots in the first half than any team that Wiegman’s England have faced. One of them was Ashleigh Plumptre’s thunderous strike off the bar, before the former English underage international then forced a scrambled save from Mary Earps. England were looking for that spell of control, but it was almost too methodical, lacking real energy. The strangeness around the penalty decision only added to this. Even if it wasn’t a penalty in the first place, despite the fact there didn’t look to be enough obvious evidence to see it overturned. The referee made the call just as Georgia Stanway was motioning to shoot, making it all the more frustrating for England. This was the story of almost every move forward. It was also the story of Stanway’s penalty later on. James, admittedly, was being superbly shuttled out of the game by Nigeria. That surely led to the frustration she took out later. In the moment, it meant that any time England got forward there were vast differences between their attackers. On the one occasion in the first half when Nigeria’s occasional sloppiness brought a defensive error, Alessia Russo opted to smash the ball when she should have gone with more subtlety. Goalkeeper, Chiamaka Nnadozie, well off her line, was just waiting to be chipped. She instead got down well to save an effort that should have made it much more difficult for her. Space was so difficult to find for James, however, that she increasingly had to drop back and get the ball. England did gradually solve one issue, mind. For the first half, and going into the second, Nigeria were creating panic every time they got into the box. There was one desperate and defiant block from Jess Carter. There were more than a few moments when the ball could have gone anywhere. That did come with a cost, though. It almost seemed like England were so concerned with Nigeria breaking – especially when the half-fit Asisat Oshoala came on – that they were too reluctant to commit players forward. The wing-backs rarely crossed the halfway line. There were no real chances created. It said much that the best of normal time was a corner, Rachel Daly’s thunderous header just a little too central. Nnadozie still reacted superbly, though. The same, alas, could not be said of James. Alozie’s own reaction said enough. It was almost one of disbelief. She was far from the only person thinking that. The oddity was that the situation served England better. It was as if Nigeria weren’t able to capitalise against 10, especially with the onus now on them. From then, penalties seemed inevitable. England going through certainly didn’t look as inevitable as many would have thought. Read More Lauren James sent off for stamping on opponent during England’s World Cup clash England vs Nigeria LIVE: Score and updates as Women’s World Cup game goes to penalty shootout How ‘arrogance’ and ‘complacency’ led to United States’ decline A timeline of Donald Trump’s spat with Megan Rapinoe How many games will Lauren James miss at Women’s World Cup after red card? Keira Walsh: England’s deep-lying playmaker in profile
2023-08-07 21:48

EU Spat Over Nuclear Energy Escalates as Key Vote Delayed
A key European Union law on scaling up renewable energy by the end of the decade has been
2023-05-17 14:31

Jada Pinkett Smith hopes to get 'answers' and 'some closure' after Tupac Shakur's murder suspect's arrest
Tupac Shakur's murder remained a cold case for nearly 27 years
2023-10-01 03:51

Battery prices plummet as electric cars approach ‘tipping point’
The cost of batteries fell by nearly 10 per cent in August, taking them past a key milestone that is seen by energy analysts as a “tipping point” to supercharge the transition to electric vehicles. The price of lithium-ion battery cells, which power everything from smartphones to the International Space Station, fell below $100/ kilowatthour (kWh) last month – a 33 per cent drop from March 2022 and an 8.7 per cent month-on-month drop. Energy analytics firm Benchmark Mineral Intelligence, who compiled the figures, noted that battery pack prices need to reach $100/kWh for electric vehicles to reach price parity with fossil fuel-burning vehicles. “Decreasing cell prices could allow [manufacturers] to sell mass market electric vehicles at comparable prices to internal combustion engine vehicles, with the same margin, improving the attractiveness of the EV transition for both consumers and automakers,” said Benchmark analyst Evan Hartley. “Falling cell prices are of particular concern for companies investing in cell production outside of China, particularly when there is already concern surrounding the profitability of factories in regions such as Europe.” The drop in price could also have implications for other technologies, the report noted, including for solar and wind installations that need to store excess energy during periods of overproduction. “The energy and transport revolution continues,” energy analyst Gerard Reid wrote on LinkedIn. “Lithium battery cell prices are now below $100 per kWh, down 80 per cent in a decade. Going forward we will see even lower costs and better performance, which is why the death of the internal combustion engine is near.” The falling prices have been attributed to decreasing raw material costs, with lithium prices more than halving since the start of 2023. The price could continue to fall following the discovery of massive lithium deposits in recent months, most notably within an extinct supervolcano on the border of Nevada and Oregon. The McDermitt caldera could contain up to 120 million tonnes of lithium, according to recent estimates from geologists, which could potentially meet global battery demand for decades. Read More Battery breakthroughs are about to trigger a transport revolution Volcano discovery could power electric cars for decades, scientists say New invention will lead to ‘battery revolution’, scientists say Volcano discovery could power electric cars for decades, scientists say Scientists invent solar panels that work in a snow blizzard
2023-09-18 23:52

How to Change Valorant Region in 2023
Players can change their Valorant account's region in 2023 by filling out a ticket, or heading to the Riot Games website for a quicker alternative.
1970-01-01 08:00

Jamie Carragher and John Terry divide opinion on sin bin trial in football: ‘I don’t like it’
Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher believes a trial of sin bins at higher levels of football could rescue the game from being “ruined” by red cards - but former England captain John Terry says it could make the sport “boring”. Football’s lawmakers IFAB have backed a trial of temporary dismissals of players for offences such as dissent and tactical fouls and a proposed change to the laws of the game will be considered at its annual general meeting in March. If approved, sin bins could be introduced at the higher levels of the game by the start of next season and those backing the changes will now look to develop a protocol and a system for trialling after its successful implementation at grassroots levels. Like in rugby union, which operates a 10-minute sin bin for yellow card offences, players would be removed from the pitch temporarily under the new rules, with the emphasis on improving behaviour towards the referee. Sin bins were introduced across all levels of grassroots football from the 2019-20 season in an attempt to to improve levels of respect and fair play in the game and the rule change was implemented up to step five of the National League system. The IFAB also backed a proposal which would only allow the team captains to talk to the referee in certain in-game situations. Carragher said he has not been a “fan” of sin bins in the past but said football could benefit from a system of “orange cards” where players are not sent off for the full match for accidental dangerous play. The Sky Sports pundit cited recent red cards shown to Liverpool’s Curtis Jones at Tottenham and Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford at Copenhagen where the punishment awarded was too severe. “I’ve never been a fan of sin bins before, but we are watching too many games that have [red] cards and for me it ruins the game,” Carragher wrote on Twitter/X in response to former England team-mate Terry, who said he was against the proposed change. Terry argued teams would be encouraged to sit back if they had a player sent to the sin bins and warned it could lead to “inconsistencies” from week to week. “I personally don’t like it because the level of tolerance and inconsistencies from referees will differ every week!" Terry wrote on social media. "Also what will happen is the team that goes down to 10 men for three minutes will go into a low block and make it difficult to break down, which will become boring for every one watching!" he added. Pierluigi Collina, chairman of the Fifa referees committee who sits on the IFAB’s technical subcommittee, said the proposed trials would “very probably” involve professional football. “The idea is to go deeper into all of the details because it’s easy to say we do (it) and it’s a bit more difficult how to regulate everything,” he said. “But the idea is to start working on this as soon as possible to provide those who would be involved in the trial a protocol to be used. “The trial was very successful in a grassroots competition. Now we are talking of a higher level, very probably professional or even high professional football. We need to draft something that works or is worthy for top football.” IFAB board members also agreed any new VAR measures should not result in any additional delays to matches, while supporting the need to continue developing semi-automated offside technology. Additionally, they discussed potential strategies to address time lost in matches and tactics aimed at disrupting the game’s tempo, including in relation to the six-second restriction for goalkeepers, delaying restarts and managing injuries. A possible law amendment, which would result in handball offences for which penalties are awarded being punished in the same way as fouls in terms of yellow and red cards, was a further consideration. Includes reporting from PA Read More ‘He is the future’: Newcastle and Lewis Miley robbed of night to remember Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta believes he still has something to prove in Europe Champions League: What do Man United, Arsenal and Newcastle need to reach last 16? ‘He is the future’: Newcastle and Lewis Miley robbed of night to remember Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta believes he still has something to prove in Europe Champions League: What do Man United, Arsenal and Newcastle need to reach last 16?
2023-11-29 17:47

European shares open flat as investors await cues on policy outlook
European shares opened flat on Thursday after ECB policymakers played down market optimism around rate cuts, while investors
2023-11-09 16:28

Zimbabwe Publishes Regulations for Carbon-Credit Projects
Zimbabwe will allow developers of carbon credits to keep as much as 70% of the proceeds for the
2023-08-18 17:02
You Might Like...

Netflix shares epic 'Rebel Moon' images from new Zack Snyder sci-fi

Madden 23 99 Club: Full List of All Players

From Putin's 'personal chef' to rebel: Who is Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin?

'Sometimes that was a little disappointing': Bonnie Wright laments lack of Harry Potter screen time

IShowSpeed and Kai Cenat poke fun at KSI's anime speech against Tommy Fury, fans find it 'damn funny'

How to Celebrate in Madden 23: Details, Celebrations, Inputs

Pokémon GO Sweet Snacks Special Research Story Explained

Tiger Woods' 'jilted' ex-GF Erica Herman seeks financial compensation after being 'humiliated' by golfer