Australia-EU Trade Deal at Risk During Impasse Over Market Access
Australia and the European Union’s negotiations to conclude a free-trade agreement are at an impasse over Canberra’s concerns
2023-07-11 09:56
UK Defense Secretary Ben Wallace says he'll quit government and stand down as a lawmaker
British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace said Sunday he plans to resign at the next Cabinet reshuffle after four years in the job. Wallace has served as defense secretary under three prime ministers and played a key role in the U.K.'s response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. He told The Sunday Times his departure was due to the strain his job had put on his family. He also said he would stand down as a lawmaker at the next general election. Wallace is the longest continuously serving minister in government. He was security minister under former Prime Minister Theresa May, before being promoted to defense secretary by her successor Boris Johnson. Wallace drew criticism last week when he suggested that Ukraine should show “gratitude” for the West's military support. He made the remark at the NATO summit in Lithuania after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy expressed frustration about when his country could join the military alliance. British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak distanced himself from Wallace's comments, saying Zelenskyy had “expressed his gratitude for what we've done on a number of occasions.” Read More Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide
2023-07-16 17:58
My teenager gets all their news from TikTok – should I worry?
Journalists are no longer the gatekeepers. The reality is that many young people are now bypassing the websites and apps of traditional news outlets and seeking information on social media platforms, including TikTok. It’s the ‘fastest growing social network’, according to the Reuters Institute Digital News Report, and new research has found that 20% of 18-24 year olds use the app solely to find their news. While a massive 44% of that age group use the short-form video hosting service for any and every other purpose. The younger generation have “little interest in many conventional news offers oriented towards older generations’ habits, interests, values, and instead embrace the more personality-based, participatory, and personalised options offered by social media”, said Reuters Institute director Rasmus Nielsen. Under 18s are big users too, so for parents whose teens get their news via TikTok, what do you need to understand about the social network and the evolution of digital media literacy? What is TikTok? Every so often a new app emerges and redefines the way we use social media. It’s what TikTok went and did in 2016. Starting as a small niche social media network – founded by Chinese tech giant Zhang Yiming – that attracted lip-synching teens as a short-form video hosting site, it almost knocked Facebook off its perch, and blew up during the coronavirus pandemic to a mega global platform. Do news organisations share news on it? Yes, they do. In many ways, traditional news organisations were forced to join TikTok to avoid being left behind, reach new and younger audiences and ensure they are continuing to find creative ways to pivot in a constantly evolving digital space. “Given the popularity and high engagement level, it’s not surprising that TikTok has become an important news platform for younger audiences, and it makes sense that news organisations are using it,” said Mark Brill, a senior lecturer in Future Media at Birmingham City University. “This, however, is a continuation of an existing trend. For well over a decade social media such as Facebook has been the primary news source for under 25s.” Anna Lee, founder at the Fr. App, added: “We can see that Gen Z individuals are turning to TikTok for any and all searches. While the funniest sound bites and newest dance trends will always have a home on TikTok, you can also equally expect to find videos explaining an arbitrary housing act.” How is it shared? There are various types of videos that can be shared on TikTok. Alongside the short bite-sized videos sharing the latest news, you can share trending sounds, things creators have posted, or videos with friends, family, and your larger community within TikTok or through other social media platforms. Videos can also be shared directly to other users, as long as the user has allowed for it. How do algorithms work? The TikTok algorithm is a recommendation system that determines which videos will appear on your (unique and highly personalised) For You page, which is also known as the homepage. Brill, who has 25 years of experience applying emerging technologies to engage audiences, said: “Much of the success of TikTok is the way that their algorithm decides which videos to show their users. TikTok’s system is based entirely on their interests and previous viewing. “This ‘more of what you like’ approach means that users spend more time each month in TikTok than any other platform. In the UK it adds up to over 27 hours per user per month and 23 hours globally. It shows how the platform’s algorithm can be highly addictive.” Is it OK that TikTok is how young people learn about what’s happening in the world? Some experts believe it is important for young people to be taught digital literacy at an increasingly earlier age – especially with the prevalence of fake news and artificial intelligence and its ability to forge fake articles and pictures. “Users of TikTok and all other social media apps must understand how to evaluate every piece of information they come across,” Lee said. “All parents worry about their child viewing harmful content on the internet. However, most leading internet providers provide extensive parental controls, including blocking and filtering unsuitable content.” Should they be encouraged to look elsewhere? For Brill, there are both benefits and challenges from using social media as a news source. He also cites the recent Reuters Institute report, which noted that TikTok users tend to look for good-news stories, avoiding the ‘doom scrolling’ found in web-based internet sites, which can have a negative impact on mental health. “The big question with social media sources, however, is that of veracity. A lack of fact checking and or acknowledgment of authoritative sources makes it difficult to identify fake stories and information. The short-form video format does not bring an in-depth analysis, where opinions are often presented as fact,” he said. “Perhaps the biggest challenge for TikTok users is with the algorithm itself. By giving more of what they like, it leads to confirmation bias that reinforces existing perceptions.” While child and behavioural expert Amanda Jenner, would encourage parents to tell their children to look elsewhere. “I am not a believer in directing children to learn through TikTok at all. Children can easily become addicted to social media and [it] can quickly escalate and [they could] be looking at other things they shouldn’t be watching. “I genuinely do feel parents need to be worried. I would encourage parents to set an age where it’s acceptable to have TikTok (over the age of 13 preferably) and have a parental control app so you can monitor and control what both they are seeing and the amount of time they spend on [it]. They need to be safeguarded.” Who knows what social network will be the next big thing but right now it’s difficult to get young people to migrate to another platform. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live How to take care of pets in the heat Struggling with menopause symptoms in the heat? An expert shares tips Men and women with migraine both have increased risk of stroke – study
2023-06-14 23:50
Amy Schumer reveals this Ozempic side effect made her so sick she couldn't play with son
Amy Schumer has slammed celebrities who lie about using Ozempic, and says taking the weight-loss drug made her 'too sick' to even throw a ball with her four-year-old son. Ozempic, which is used to manage Type 2 Diabetes, has become popular among Hollywood stars looking to shed a few pounds - but it can have severe consequences. "I was one of the people that felt like so sick and like couldn't like play with my son. I was so skinny," she admitted during an interview with Andy Cohen. "You're like 'this isn't liveable for me'." Sign up to our new free Indy100 weekly newsletter
2023-06-15 21:57
Ronny Chieng regales Jimmy Kimmel with hilarious anecdote about his mom, Internet can't get enough of him
Ronny Chieng had the audience in stitches with his amusing anecdotes about his mother and his journey to visit her in Singapore
2023-10-24 20:04
U.S., Saudi Arabia call for extended ceasefire in Sudan
By Khalid Abdelaziz DUBAI Saudi Arabia and the United States called on Sunday for the extension of a
2023-05-28 20:44
A 'perfect storm' of ingredients are combining to create deadly flooding and record heat, scientist says
The climate crisis is "supercharging" extreme weather events like flooding and heat waves, Michael E. Mann told CNN.
2023-07-11 19:38
'Taxi Driver' writer Paul Schrader responds to rumors about Robert De Niro's return as Travis Bickle for Uber ad
There are rumors that Robert De Niro will reprise his iconic 'Taxi Driver' role for an Uber ad campaign in the UK
2023-09-25 21:27
Mercedes chief predicts performance level at Canadian Grand Prix
Mercedes chief Andrew Shovlin admits the team won’t be “nipping at the heels” of Red Bull at the Canadian Grand Prix - with the Montreal circuit offering a “bigger challenge” than last time out in Spain. The Silver Arrows brought highly-anticipated upgrades to the Monaco Grand Prix last month, with their full impact seen at the traditional testing circuit in Barcelona last time out. Lewis Hamilton and George Russell finished second and third respectively, securing Mercedes’ first double podium of the season. Yet Toto Wolff has moved to downplay suggestions Mercedes can compete with runaway leaders Red Bull and trackside engineering director Shovlin echoed those thoughts when speaking in the team’s debrief video. “The fact is that the update kit works very well around circuits like Barcelona with a lot of high-speed performance,” Shovlin said. “The car itself would have still been okay there because we’ve been better at the fast circuits and the front-limited tracks. We ended up with a really good balance and really good race pace. “Now, where we are going to go next, Montreal, it’s a very different circuit. There are more low-speed corners, quite a lot of straight-line full throttle and we would expect more of a challenge there. “We are not thinking that we are going in nipping at the heels of Red Bull. We are going in there prepared for a battle with Ferrari, Aston Martin, and maybe even Alpine.” Hamilton finished on the podium last year in Canada, behind Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz, and Shovlin added that behind Red Bull the performance gap is close with other teams this season. “It will be good fun and we are certainly going to be fighting to find every little bit of performance we can,” he added. “Because the way the grid stacks up now you can be P2 or you can be P10, and there are only a few tenths in it,” he added. “We are looking forward to more exciting racing but certainly we are aware that Canada is likely to be a bigger challenge than the Sunday we just had in Barcelona.” Verstappen currently has a 59-point lead in the championship from Red Bull team-mate Sergio Perez and has won the last three races in Miami, Monaco and Barcelona. Read More Lewis Hamilton contract update provided by Mercedes boss Toto Wolff Christian Horner reveals how close Fernando Alonso was to joining Red Bull Lewis Hamilton, an 18-month drought and an eighth world title further away than ever
2023-06-13 20:22
China accuses UK of harbouring Hong Kong fugitives
The UK had criticised Hong Kong for placing bounties on eight pro-democracy activists based overseas.
2023-07-04 19:03
Is Aston Villa vs Legia Warsaw on TV? Kick off time, channel and how to watch Europa Conference League fixture
Aston Villa take on Legia Warsaw in the Europa Conference League Group E on Thursday. Villa sit second in the group, behind Legia only on goal difference, with both teams having nine points from their opening four matches. That is in addition to an impressive domestic campaign that has seen them rise up to fourth in the table and only two points behind top-placed Arsenal. But Legia got the better of Villa in the first match of the campaign, winning 3-2 in Poland. Here’s everything you need to know about the fixture and get the latest odds and tips here. When is Aston Villa vs Legia Warsaw? The Europa League Conference match takes place on Thursday 30 November at Villa Park, Birmingham with a kick off time of 8 pm GMT. How can I watch it? Aston Villa vs Legia Warsaw will be shown live on TNT Sports 2 which can be streamed via the Discovery + app, with coverage starting at 7.45pm GMT. Team news Unai Emery said in the build up to the match that they were training with everyone, but might have to be careful ahead of the congested fixture schedule. Emiliano Buendia, and Tyrone Mings remain on the long-term injured list. Predicted line-up Aston Villa XI: Martinez, Konsa, Carlos, P Torres, Digne, Bailey, Kamara, Douglas Luiz, J Ramsey, Tielemans, Watkins Odds Aston Villa 1/4 Draw 7/2 Legia Warsaw 8/1 Prediction Villa to win at home. Aston Villa 2-1 Legia Warsaw Read More Son Heung-min hurt by defeats but ‘very pleased’ with way Tottenham are playing Julen Lopetegui reveals what he’s waiting for before return to management Arsenal show how Champions League should be done – Man Utd and Newcastle take note... Julen Lopetegui reveals what he’s waiting for before return to management Arsenal show how Champions League should be done – Man Utd and Newcastle take note... A genuine dream – Mikel Arteta loved Arsenal’s rout of Lens in Champions League
2023-11-30 15:24
Komodo Health Appoints Vikas Mehta as Chief Financial Officer; Names Sarah Shin as Chief People Officer
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun 5, 2023--
2023-06-05 20:01
You Might Like...
Indian tycoon Adani slams 'malicious' Hindenburg report
PewDiePie set to debut new look as he reveals person behind rebranding: 'Such a good job'
Biden admits using sleep apnoea treatment device
Martin Odegaard: I've tried not to watch Erling Haaland celebrate
OpenAI reaches deal with Sam Altman to return as chief executive
US approves sending F-16s to Ukraine from Denmark and Netherlands
New details emerge about the alleged search history of the Utah mom charged with her husband's murder
Are Roxanne Kaiser and Antonio Mattei married? 'The Ultimatum' Season 2 star claims she is still the provider in relationship
