
Gmail users warned their accounts could be about to be deleted
Google has warned users that their Gmail accounts may start to be deleted. The company says it is giving affects users plenty of time to ensure they are able to secure any accounts they want to retain access to. The mass deletion will begin at the start of December, and apply only to inactive accounts. The company says it is doing so for safety, since old accounts may represent a security risk. Google considers an account to be inactive if people do not log in within two years. Logging in includes not only looking at the Gmail inbox but also using that same login to watch YouTube or make Google searches, or downloading apps from the Play Store. Accounts that have money in them in the form of gift cards will also be kept open, Google has said. Google warned in May that it would start deleting accounts. It said that it was doing so because those inactive accounts were more likely to be compromised, and could be used for other online crime. “This is because forgotten or unattended accounts often rely on old or re-used passwords that may have been compromised, haven’t had two factor authentication set up, and receive fewer security checks by the user,” said Ruth Kricheli, Google’s vice president for product management, at the time. “Our internal analysis shows abandoned accounts are at least 10 times less likely than active accounts to have 2-step-verification set up.” Those attackers can then use that account to send spam email or steal people’s identities, the company warned. But it is now sending emails to those affected, giving them a warning that they could soon lose access to their account, noted Bleeping Computer. It tells users that it is doing so “to protect your private information and prevent any unauthorized access to your account even if you’re no longer using our services”. The messages will be sent not only to the actual Gmail account in question, but also to any recovery email addresses that have been provided. Users will given at least eight months’ warning before their accounts are removed, Google says. Once an account is deleted, the email associated with it will no longer be eligible for use, so that people will not be able to steal old and now recovered addresses.
2023-08-03 00:34

Former prosecutor explains why Donald Trump was the main focus of the January 6 indictment
Donald Trump’s latest federal indictment is not the lengthiest of the charging documents that has come his way so far, but it may well be the most profound. That was the reaction of legal analysts and journalists this week after Jack Smith delivered the Department of Justice’s initial charges against Mr Trump for his efforts to overturn the 2020 election, with much of his conduct in the weeks leading up to and during the January 6 attack going unaddressed in the indictment. All in all, the twice-impeached ex-president is charged with four crimes related to the election-meddling efforts, including conspiracy to deprive Americans of their rights — a law passed as part of anti-Ku Klux Klan legislation. What was absent from the document was a charge that many expected to see after the conclusion of the House of Representatives’ select committee investigation into the attack: A count of giving aid or comfort to an insurrection. There was no mention of that charge, or the related accusation of seditious conspiracy, which has been leveled against members of the Oathkeepers and Proud Boys. There was also no mention of charges for Mr Trump’s long list of allies, some of whom spread conspiracy theories about the election, and other enablers who either knowingly or unknowingly pushed complete and utter falsehoods on a wide range of issues for months after their boss lost the presidential election. Notably, a number (like ex-legal counsel Rudy Giuliani) are referred to as co-conspirators, and specifically not described as “unindicted”. But the initial document charged Mr Trump and Mr Trump alone, with the entirety of its focus being on the actions of the man at the head of the table. A former deputy assistant attorney general and federal prosecutor who analysed the indictment in an interview with The Independent said that decision was likely deliberate, to ensure that the focus of the case remained on Mr Trump’s efforts and potentially to streamline the path to trial. “Each new defendant brings a possible doubling, if not more, of potential causes for delays,” Harry Litman explained. “It's a very considered, strategic decision to bring an indictment only against Trump. And you and I know, those people are by no means out of the woods.” Bringing an indictment against the former president, he added, was the DoJ’s way of cutting as much of the potential delays away as possible in the hopes of getting the ex-president to trial before the 2024 election has concluded. “It maximises the possibility of it happening quickly,” said Mr Litman. “Whereas before yesterday, it seemed doubtful, at least very tenuous, that there would be a federal trial before the election. But I think it now seems likely.” The exclusion of (arguably) more serious charges like seditious conspiracy and giving comfort to a rebellion, he posited , was a decision made for a similar reason. By focusing on Mr Trump’s efforts to change the results and not his words themselves, Mr Litman explained, Mr Smith’s team was “attack[ing] around” any First Amendment-related defences the former president’s legal team would raise against those charges. Mr Trump has denied guilt in all the instances where he is accused of taking illegal measures to remain in the White House, and continues to insist to this day that he is the rightful winner of the 2020 election. Vast swaths of his loyal fanbase believe the same. The former president continues to await a decision by prosecutors in Georgia related to his efforts to change the election results in that state as well; Fulton County officials have said that a decision on that matter is coming later this month. Read More Trump lawyer hints at a First Amendment defense in the Jan. 6 case. Some legal experts are dubious When is Donald Trump’s arraignment? Watch view of Capitol Hill after police say no active shooter found at Senate office after lockdown GOP senators who condemned Trump on Jan 6 but voted against impeachment remain silent on indictment Prosecutors may be aiming for quick Trump trial by not naming alleged conspirators, experts say Rudy Giuliani’s accuser reveals tapes detailing alleged sexually vulgar remarks
2023-08-03 07:34

STRIDE Fitness Sprints Into Summer with Month of Special Events and Offers, Kicking Off with Global Running Day on June 7
IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun 1, 2023--
2023-06-01 21:16

Is Michael Douglas OK? Fans express concern about actor's 'purple’ hand during vacation with Catherine Zeta-Jones
Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones were spotted having a romantic vacation in Italy recently
2023-08-03 17:38

When Does NBA 2K23 Season 2 Start?
Having been almost a month since NBA 2K23’s release, here is what we know about when season 2 will start.
1970-01-01 08:00

MrBeast: Naruto's iconic voice artist Takeuchi to collaborate with YouTube king
Junko Takeuchi, the person who voiced the famous anime Naruto, is now collaborating with MrBeast to voice his videos in Japanese
2023-05-22 16:31

How to Stream PlayStation 5 Games to All Your Devices With Remote Play
There's nothing quite like playing your PlayStation 5 on a big TV from the couch.
2023-06-28 01:53

Italy beats North Macedonia 5-2 and now needs just a point against Ukraine to qualify for Euro 2024
Federico Chiesa scored two first-half goals and defending champion Italy beat North Macedonia 5-2 to gain a measure of revenge and move closer to qualifying for the European Championship
2023-11-18 06:04

Constellation Awards $500,000 to Clean Energy, Community-based Student Projects Through Energy to Educate Program
BALTIMORE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 13, 2023--
2023-11-13 21:00

Nintendo Switch 2: Every single thing we know so far
Nintendo has been tight-lipped about the potential successor to its highly successful Nintendo Switch console.
2023-10-15 01:15

'Big Show' to doting dad: Five things on Glenn Maxwell
Glenn Maxwell on Wednesday was the toast of the cricket world a day after his unbeaten 201 powered Australia into the World Cup semi-finals with...
2023-11-08 16:49

Stocks Traders Shun Leverage With Debt-Cap Deadline Approaching
For equity investors transfixed by a debt-ceiling standoff that risks pushing the US government into an unprecedented default,
2023-05-27 20:00
You Might Like...

Analysis-Europe's problems are far bigger than a shallow recession

Mauro Icardi FIFA 23: How to Complete the Out of Position SBC

Canada’s Economy Shrank 1.1% With Rates Denting Spending

Nuclear Industry Needs More State Money, Officials Warn

Michael Caine, 90, credits his longevity to 'young wife' Shakira Baksh

Lyles insists not all criticism over NBA 'world champ' claims

Bloober Team Asks for Patience Regarding Silent Hill 2 Remake

Ousted ‘GMA’ star Amy Robach's fans in awe as daughters Ava and Annalise share Norway vacation pics