
US consumers' inflation expectations mixed in April, NY Fed report shows
By Michael S. Derby U.S. consumers said last month they expected slightly lower inflation in a year's time,
1970-01-01 08:00

Lewis Hamilton makes joyous revelation despite Monaco qualifying result
Lewis Hamilton was joyous after qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix, insisting he hadn’t enjoyed the race as much since 2008. The seven-time world champion, driving a new-look Mercedes this weekend, made an error and crashed towards the end of third practice on Saturday morning. But his car was repaired in time for a topsy-turvy qualifying session, with the 38-year-old sneaking through the opening two sessions before setting the sixth-fastest time in Q3. Yet despite the ‘midfield’ result, Hamilton revealed he has been in a “good frame of mind” all weekend and has “loved every second of the track” in the principality so far. “It’s been an amazing weekend,” said three-time Monaco winner Hamilton after qualifying. “I’ve loved every second of the track. More than ever! Haven’t enjoyed it as much since 2007, 2008, Formula 3 days. We’ve made some really good changes. “I’ve arrived here this weekend in a really good frame of mind. I feel really refreshed, I’ve loved the challenge of being in the car. I’m glad I didn’t break the new components! “Those changes have helped the feeling… going in the right direction. I don’t think we’ll get a full read of the sidepods until Barcelona when we’ll see the car come alive. Hamilton also took sole fault for the collision with the wall at the end of FP3. “The car felt like a real handful,” he said of his early running on Saturday. “Switching on the tyres was hard. A decision I took, against everyone’s judgement, and it made it hard. That’s as fast as our car could go, maybe a tenth better.” Max Verstappen snatched pole from Fernando Alonso in a thrilling end to qualifying, with Charles Leclerc third and Esteban Ocon a surprise name in fourth. Hamilton’s team-mate, George Russell, could only manage eighth for Sunday’s race, where rain could play a part. Read More F1 grid: Starting positions for Monaco Grand Prix Max Verstappen fends off Fernando Alonso to take stunning pole in Monaco Lewis Hamilton crashes in new Mercedes at Monaco Grand Prix practice Lewis Hamilton has shut the door on Ferrari – will he come to regret it? F1’s Charles Leclerc drops huge hint about Lewis Hamilton’s potential future at Ferrari
2023-05-28 00:25

José Berríos takes no-hitter into 7th, Blue Jays beat Orioles 3-1
José Berríos took a no-hitter into the seventh inning, George Springer homered and the Toronto Blue Jays beat Baltimore 3-1 to end the Orioles’ five-game winning streak
2023-06-15 09:51

Joe Rogan discusses 'stupid' Marvel character, criticizes creative steps taken by Marvel Studios in recent past: 'It infuriates me'
Although Marvel Studios has created some of the best superhero films ever, some of their more recent works have split fans
2023-07-17 16:10

Tommy Fury seems ready for 'big fight' in rematch against Jake Paul: 'Me and him will meet again'
In a recent interview with Pro Boxing Fans, Tommy Fury confirmed his intention to face Jake Paul again
2023-10-27 14:43

Mutiny, mayhem and panic on the streets of Moscow: Russia saved from brink of civil war at 11th hour
Russia appears to have stepped back from the brink of a full-scale armed mutiny, after the Wagner Group, one of the world’s most powerful private armies, halted a march on Moscow started by a vow for revenge. While the immediate threat seems to have been averted, the unprecedented attack on the Russian military establishment marks the most serious challenge to President Vladimir Putin in the 23 years he has ruled with an iron fist – and the crisis is unlikely to just disappear just because the military convoy halted 125 miles from the Russian capital. Earlier in an extraordinary day, a visibly angry Mr Putin made an emergency address to the nation railing against the attempted coup and said the very existence of the Russian state was at stake. "We are fighting for the lives and security of our people, for our sovereignty and independence,” he said, comparing the Wagner “mutiny” to the 1917 revolution that led to the collapse of imperial Russia. The source of his ire was Yevgeny Prigozhin, the outspoken leader of the Wagner mercenary group, who had vowed to avenge attacks he claimed were perpetrated by the Russian military against his men in eastern Ukraine. Mr Prigozhin vehemently denied accusations of treason and spent the day vowing to fight “until the end.” However, late on Saturday his band of mercenaries halted their march and would turn back “to avoid shedding Russian blood” – in a deal broken by Belarusian president and Russia’s closest ally Alexander Lukashenko. “In a day, we marched to nearly 200km outside of Moscow. In this time, we did not spill a single drop of blood of our fighters,” Mr Prigozhin said in audio messages shared to his Telegram channels. “Now, the moment has come when blood may spill. That’s why, understanding the responsibility of spilling Russian blood on one of the sides, we are turning back our convoys and going back to field camps according to the plan.” It was unclear on Saturday night exactly what the agreement to halt the Wagner convoy entailed, but the Kremlin confirmed that neither Mr Prigozhin nor his troops would face criminal charges over the insurrection. The Kremlin did not confirm Mr Prigozhin’s whereabouts but said he would be moved to Belarus, a close ally of Russia. In a day of dramatic developments: Moscow’s mayor urged all residents to stay in their homes Authorities declared a “counter-terrorist regime” in the capital – enhancing security and restricting some movement. Crews dug up sections of highways to slow the movement of the Wagner convoy There was confusion over Mr Putin’s whereabouts, with the Kremlin denying he had left the city in a plane There were also unconfirmed reports that a number of Russian officials had left the capital, with suggestions that Denis Manturov, a deputy prime minister may have flown to Turkey. The crisis ignited Friday night when Mr Prigozhin, a former hotdog seller turned powerful warlord, issued a string of expletive-riddled audio and video messages. He accused the top Russian military brass of bombing his camp in the eastern region of Donbas, “lying” about the motivations for invading Ukraine, and rampant corruption. As tensions mounted, Mr Putin responded by saying his former confidante was guilty of “armed insurrection” and “treason” and promised to punish those behind the “stab in the back”. Wagner forces – deployed along some of the toughest battle lines in Ukraine – crossed back into Russia, captured the logistical hub of Rostov in the south, and then set off on a 1000km race to the capital. Videos shared on their channels purportedly showed a column of tanks mounted on armoured cars and advanced Pantsir anti-aircraft missile system making its way north accompanied by as many as 5000 men, or a fifth of Wagner’s claimed total forces. Desperate to halt an advance, Russia's military fired on the column with helicopters, deployed tanks and even tore up key motorways with diggers according to videos posted online. "We will destroy anyone who stands in our way," Mr Prigozhin originally vowed. "We are moving forward and will go until the end," he added. The spectacular eruption of violence in Russia, came after searing tensions within the country’s top command since President Putin invaded Ukraine last February. Prigozhin, once a shadowy figure who denied his role with private military companies, has fast become the most outspoken and powerful figure in Putin’s war. His forces – which first appeared in Russia’s initial invasion of eastern Ukraine in 2014 – were stationed in some of the bloodiest battlefields like Bakhmut. There he would frequently post videos criticising the Ministry of Defence and top Russian generals for poor battle plans or not providing enough ammunition. This claim, his former troops say, was a ruse to allow him to stockpile weapons he ultimately used in Russia on Saturday. Speaking exclusively to The Independent, a former Wagner soldier, who was stationed near Bakhmut in November but managed to escape to Europe with the help of dissidents, said Mr Prigozhin was a “skilful manipulator”. The soldier said he had gained so much power due to the war in Ukraine. “Everyone should understand and realise that the regular army and those who serve in Wagner now are under the rule imposed by Prigozhin.” He said that Mr Prigozhin ruled by fear “in a dictatorial regime” and so people remain loyal to survive. “They are frightened reprisal if they speak out or fail to follow orders,” he said, asking to remain anonymous for his own security. He added that Mr Prigozhin’s “hysterical” statements and actions “were aimed at garnering support and creating the image of a strong leader.” “Even to this day, some people continue to view him favourably,” he added. In Ukraine, commanders, officials and foot soldiers watched with amusement, confusion and trepidation, at the events as they unfolded. The extraordinary disintegration of Russia’s top brass signalled an unprecedented opportunity on the battlefield, but many on the ground feared what forces were supporting Mr Prigozhin and the dangers of a President Putin backed into the corner. “If Prigozhin starts destroying aeroplanes and helicopters and makes it to Moscow, it means a big deal,” one Ukrainian intelligence source told The Independent. “He can’t be doing this on his own, he must be supported by someone, some oligarch, someone who wants to remove Putin and put him in power. We don’t know who that is, and that is worrying,” the source added. President Zelensky said that Saturday’s events showed the world “that the bosses of Russia do not control anything. Nothing at all”. It’s “complete chaos,” he wrote on his Twitter account. “There is complete absence of any predictability,” he added urging the West to give more support ousting Russia from Ukrainian lands. Ukrainian soldiers said Ukraine made modest gains on Saturday as the situation in Russia disintegrated. “Without a doubt, we will take advantage of this, as you will see in the near future,” Serhiy Cherevaty, spokesperson for the Armed forces in the east, told The Independent. Read More Russia-Ukraine war live: Prigozhin ‘won’t face criminal charges’ over Wagner coup against Putin ‘Let’s go home’: Wagner paramilitary troops prepare to turn around from Moscow advance Is this the end for Putin? His country now stands on the edge of civil war Putin has never looked weaker – it is hard to see how he can ever recover The Body in the Woods | An Independent TV Original Documentary The harrowing discovery at centre of The Independent’s new documentary
2023-06-25 04:36

Charge three devices simultaneously with this $17 charging cable
TL;DR: As of October 6, you can get a 3-in-1 fast data transfer and charging
2023-10-06 17:00

xQc shares stances on ongoing drama involving Adam22 and porn star Lena The Plug: 'Everybody do that s**t'
xQc said, 'OK, so you're saying that marriage equals love, one equals the other, 100%, that's what you're saying, gotcha'
2023-07-16 16:58

4 former Packers players who are still surprisingly free agents
Green Bay Packers fans have to be wondering why these four former players are still available in free agency this late into the offseason.There is obviously one former Green Bay Packers player who the Cheeseheads will have a close eye on throughout at least the 2023 season with Aaron Rodgers now...
2023-05-26 00:42

Singapore Aug core inflation rises 3.4%, seen easing
By Chen Lin SINGAPORE Singapore's key consumer price gauge rose 3.4% in August, almost matching economists' forecasts, and
2023-09-25 13:10

The death toll in a collapsed gold mine in Zimbabwe expected to rise to 13, vice president says
Zimbabwe's vice president says the death toll from a shaft collapse at a disused gold mine could rise to 13
2023-10-01 20:17

Ukraine-Russia war – live: Three killed in revenge attacks as Putin retaliates after drone strikes
At least three people have been killed and a blood transfusion centre bombed in Ukraine, as Russia unleashed a wave of intense drone and missile strikes after vowing to retaliate for a Ukrainian hit on Russian tankers in the Black Sea. Moscow’s second-largest airport also briefly suspended flights Sunday morning following what the Kremlin said was a foiled Ukrainian drone attack. The Ukrainian authorities have not confirmed publicly whether they were behind either raid. The Ukrainian air force said Sunday that in total Russian forces had launched 70 Iranian-made Shahed drones, as well as cruise and hypersonic missiles from aircraft over the Caspian Sea. Russian shelling in the northern region of Kharkiv also killed three people. It comes as senior officials from some 40 countries including the United States, China and India are taking part in talks in Saudi Arabia that Kyiv and its allies hope will lead to agreement on key principles for a peaceful end to Russia’s war in Ukraine. Russia is not attending. Read More ‘Extremely dangerous’ Wagner fighters seeking to destabilise Nato, Poland warns EU imposes sanctions on dozens in Belarus over protest crackdown and support for Russia What Ukraine’s First Lady Olena Zelenska wants the world to know ‘With you until the end’: Defence secretary Ben Wallace’s dramatic pledge to Ukraine after first lady’s plea
2023-08-06 21:14
You Might Like...

A 9-year-old migrant died after having seizures during scorching trek in Arizona

Rihanna and A$AP Rocky reveal baby's name, Internet absolutely supports it 'with heat'

Score 50% off and free shipping on these HD digital camera binoculars

World Bank Says Saudi Economy to Shrink on Lower Oil Output

Who was Alan Weber? Long Island man shot dead by cop after he allegedly confronted officer with swords

Further BOE Rate Hikes Can’t Be Ruled Out, Warns Policy Maker Haskel

Florida State tops Tennessee in semifinal, will play Oklahoma for Women's College World Series title

Did Braves rookie AJ Smith-Shawver earn another crack at fifth-starter role?