
Tyler Glasnow's back is improving but his next start for Rays pushed back two days
Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Tyler Glasnow had his scheduled start Saturday against the Cleveland Guardians pushed back to Monday, The 6-foot-8 right-hander continues to comeback from back spasms that cost him a start a week ago
2023-08-12 04:40

Far-right Israeli security minister lashes out at supermodel Bella Hadid over her criticism of him
Israel’s far-right national security minister has lashed out at supermodel Bella Hadid for criticizing his recent fiery televised remarks about Palestinians in the occupied West Bank
2023-08-25 19:27

Office landlords squeezed by falling occupancy rates, refinancing difficulties. Here's why
The failure of several large lenders earlier this year and the banking turmoil that followed have fueled worries for owners of office space
2023-05-25 22:23

Riots in Paris: Where are the French riots and why are they happening?
France’s President Emmanuel Macron is chairing a crisis meeting of senior ministers in the wake of a second night of rioting following the police killing of a 17-year-old boy, identified as Nahel, in the Paris suburb of Nanterre. There were 150 arrests across the country into Thursday. Police and firefighters struggled to contain protesters and extinguish numerous blazes through the night that damaged schools, police stations and town halls or other public buildings, according to a spokesperson for the national police. Authorities also re fires or skirmishes in multiple cities overnight, from Toulouse in the south to Lille in the north – although the nexus remained Nanterre and the surrounding areas. What happened during the shooting? The 17-year-old, identified as Nahel, was driving a car on Tuesday morning when he was pulled over for breaking traffic rules, prosecutors said. The teenager was too young to hold a full driving license in France. Police initially reported that one officer had shot at the teenager because he was driving his car towards him. But this version of events was quickly contradicted by a video circulating on social media. On Thursday, The Nanterre prosecutor said that witness statements, CCTV video footage, amateur video footage, and statements from police offers were being used to piece together the timeline of events from Tuesday morning. Pascal Prache confirmed that two motorcycle police noticed a Mercedes, with one young driver and two passengers travelling quickly in a bus lane at 7:55am on Tuesday. Police twice attempted to indicate to the car to pull over and park, but the driver continued driving and the two police pursued the vehicle. The Mercedes had to stop at a at a traffic light, at which point the police asked the driver to turn off engine and exit the vehicle. The police officers said they drew their weapons and aimed them at the driver to stop him from taking off in the vehicle. However, the driver did pull away at which point the police decided to shoot. A bullet hit the driver through arm and chest, and the car crashed. One of the passengers fled. Firefighters were called to the scene at 8:21am. They provided first aid to the driver which was unsuccessful. The officer who fired a single shot said he wanted to prevent the car from leaving and because he feared someone may be hit by the car, including himself or his colleague, according to Mr Prache. The police officer is being investigated for voluntary homicide for shooting Nahel. Based on an initial investigation, the prosector Mr Prache said, he concluded that "the conditions for the legal use of the weapon were not met." How did the riots begin? Nahel was of North African descent. The incident has fed longstanding complaints of police violence and systemic racism inside law enforcement agencies from rights groups and within the ethnically diverse suburbs that ring major cities in France. Several people have died or sustained injuries at the hands of French police in recent years, prompting demands for more accountability. France also saw protests against racial profiling and other injustice in the wake of George Floyd’s killing by police in Minnesota. Tuesday’s killing was the third fatal shooting during traffic stops in France so far in 2023. Last year there were a record 13 such shootings, a spokesperson for the national police said. There were three such killings in 2021 and two in 2020, according to a Reuters tally, which shows the majority of victims since 2017 were Black or of Arab origin. Clashes first erupted Tuesday night in and around the Paris suburb of Nanterre, where Nahel was killed. Bins were set alight and some protesters threw fireworks at police. Officers used tear gas on the crowds. The government deployed 2,000 police to maintain order Wednesday. But violence resumed after dusk. How far have the riots spread? Police and firefighters struggled to contain protesters and extinguish numerous blazes through the night that damaged schools, police stations and town halls or other public buildings, according to a spokesperson for the national police. The national police on Thursday reported fires or skirmishes in multiple cities overnight, from Toulouse in the south to Lille in the north, though the nexus of tensions was Nanterre and other Paris suburbs. Police arrested 180 people around the country on Wednesday night, more than half of them in the Paris region. The interior minister, Gerald Darmanin, said 170 officers had been injured in the unrest but none of the injuries were life-threatening. The unrest has revived memories of riots in 2005 that convulsed France for three weeks and forced then-president Jacques Chirac to declare a state of emergency. That wave of violence erupted in the Paris suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois and spread across the country following the death of two young people electrocuted in a power substation as they hid from police. Two officers were acquitted in a trial ten years later. What has been the response from the government? President Emmanuel Macron held a crisis meeting with senior ministers over the shooting on Thursday morning and Mr Darmanin announced afterwards that 40,000 policemen would be deployed across the country, including 5,000 in the Paris region, on Thursday evening to put on end to the unrest. "The response of the state must be extremely firm," Mr Darmanin said. Both Darmanin and the prime minister, Elisabeth Borne, have ruled out declaring a state of emergency for now. On Wednesday, Mr Macron had said the shooting was unforgivable. As he convened his emergency meeting he also condemned the unrest. "The last few hours have been marked by scenes of violence against police stations but also schools and town halls, and thus institutions of the Republic and these scenes are wholly unjustifiable," he said. Reuters and the Associated Press contributed to this report Read More French suburbs are burning. How a teen's killing is focusing anger over police tactics ‘This is war’: France burns amid angry protests after teenager shot dead by police Who is Nahel? The teen shot dead by police in France France’s highest administrative court says the soccer federation can ban headscarves in matches Paris commune implements overnight curfew after officer charged with homicide AP News Digest 3:15 am
2023-06-30 03:51

Republican block means major branch of US military lacks a confirmed leader for first time in over a century
A major branch of the US military does not have a Senate confirmed leader for the first time in more than a century, as a result of a Republican senator refusing to lift his block on military nominations.
2023-07-10 23:27

Ride for a Reason: Join CycleBar Studios Around the World to Support Breast Cancer Research this October
IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct 3, 2023--
2023-10-03 21:04

U.S. FDA approves Lexicon Pharma's heart failure drug
(Reuters) -The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Lexicon Pharmaceuticals Inc's drug as a broad treatment for heart
2023-05-27 04:31

Dizzying Bond Moves Put 4% Yield in Play to Win Over Investors
Bond traders are bracing for another tumultuous week in which key employment data could push yields on 10-year
2023-07-02 04:00

FIA not interested in early renegotiations of bedrock Formula One agreement, president tells AP
The president of the FIA tells The Associated Press the governing body has no interest in signing an early renewal of its contract with Liberty Media and the 10 Formula One teams
2023-07-06 12:40

What California's Ravidassia community believes and why they want caste bias outlawed
In California, members of an under-the-radar, minority religious community are stepping into the public eye to advocate for making the state the first in the nation to outlaw caste bias
2023-05-29 20:06

Asia to Open Mixed as Tech Giants Signal Rebound: Markets Wrap
Asian equities looked poised for a mixed open Friday as big tech stocks on Wall Street rallied in
2023-10-27 07:17

Ryan Mason encourages little to be read into Harry Kane’s wave to Spurs fans
Ryan Mason played down fears about the future of Tottenham vice-captain Harry Kane after a disappointing 3-1 home loss to Brentford. Kane’s 30th goal in all competitions put Spurs ahead after eight minutes, but the visitors turned the game around after the break through Bryan Mbeumo’s double and Yoane Wissa’s late goal. It ensured Tottenham suffered a 14th defeat of a poor campaign in their final home fixture, which ended with the players doing a lap of honour in front of largely empty seats. Vice-captain Kane waved to the fans who had stayed and uncertainty remains over his future with only one more year left on his deal at Spurs. But Mason insisted: “He waves at the crowd every season. “I remember sitting here two years ago and you guys were convinced he was leaving, saying the same thing. “It’s the last home game of the season so he wants to show his appreciation to the support he’s received and we’ve all received this season.” Spurs had impressed during the opening 45 and Son Heung-min, Emerson Royal, Arnaut Danjuma and Dejan Kulusevski all went close before half-time. No second goal occurred for the hosts and Mbeumo’s quickfire brace after the break proved crucial. Mason added: “This is the Premier League. You have to be ready for the whole game. “I thought the first half we played a very good match, had a few opportunities to score a couple more, but of course in the second half the intensity dropped and we were punished.” Back-to-back defeats have damaged Tottenham’s hopes of securing European football next season and there were further chants for chairman Daniel Levy to leave during his latest loss. Mason admitted it hurt to see so many fans depart before the lap of honour but urged the club to commit to a philosophy this summer in its search for a new head coach and managing director of football. “Of course (it hurts). It is understandable because of how probably the second two-thirds of the season have gone on and off the pitch but ultimately we know the fans will be there next season,” Spurs’ acting head coach insisted. “This club will keep moving forward and now is the time where we need to be stronger than ever and believe in what we’re going to do, commit to it and have people that are committed to it. “And I always say in football things can change very quickly and the energy can change quickly. “There are many different conversations that need to happen, but ultimately, I have said it quite a bit, we need to commit to something and be consistent with it. “Then have people, staff and players here who are committed to it too and I think that transfers to everyone else. That is what we need.” Brentford were able to toast a milestone victory that means they have now defeated each member of the ‘big six’ during their first two seasons in the Premier League. This fine win also ensured the Bees’ finished a difficult week on a high note after 20-goal forward Ivan Toney was hit with an eight month ban from all football activity on Thursday for repeated betting breaches. “I think it is unbelievable and remarkable,” Frank said of Brentford’s top-six feat. “For a newly promoted team over two seasons to beat all of the top-six teams must be quite unique so yes, of course we’re proud of that. “We’ve already talked about (Ivan). To replace 20 goals in the Premier League is not easy but we actually have good players in the squad that can score goals and every single time Wissa is playing instead of Ivan he scores goals. “He did that today and Kevin, he will score goals because he is such a threat going in behind. “Of course the big praise is to Bryan today. He is growing more and more to be a key player for us.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Jon Rahm struggles in heavy rain at start of third round of US PGA Championship Cecilia Braekhus pulls out of Terri Harper fight through illness Emma Hayes won’t spend sunny Sunday evening watching potential WSL title decider
2023-05-20 23:22
You Might Like...

Destiny 2 Festival of the Lost: Everything You Need to Know

More than 40 firearms belonging to suspect in Gilgo Beach killings appear to be illegally possessed, prosecutors say

STL Cardinals Rumors: Adam Wainwright shade, reunion in the works, another free-agent target

Jurrien Timber set for lengthy absence as Arsenal reveal he needs surgery

USMNT rumors: Vazquez to Monchengladbach, Balogun to Milan, Dest to stay

Noah Lyles and Fred Kerley set the tone in the race to be the 'Fastest Mouth in the World'

South African flag may be taken down at rugby & cricket World Cups for doping body's non-compliance

Brazil Banks to Deny Credit to Meatpackers Linked to Amazon Destruction