
Marketmind: Big Tech weighs in, UK relieved
A look at the day ahead in U.S. and global markets from Mike Dolan July is heating up
2023-07-19 18:06

Bryan Cranston, Jessica Chastain join star-studded Times Square rally of striking actors and writers
SAG-AFTRA held its largest and most star-studded rally yet on Tuesday in Times Square
2023-07-26 03:56

Arajet Wins Best Start-up Airline at the World Aviation Summit
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 28, 2023--
2023-11-29 02:50

This Week in Playoff Mode: Bam Adebayo has his NBA Playoffs moment
Bam Adebayo stood at the free-throw line at Ball Arena on Sunday night and, with 21,000 fans trying to rattle him and the Denver Nuggets mounting a last-chance comeback, brought the ball up from his right hip, took one dribble and calmly made the second of two foul shots to put the Miami Heat back u...
2023-06-06 01:57

PGMOL rejects Ben Foster’s claim that referees pressured Sky Sports into VAR cover-up
The PGMOL has rejected Ben Foster’s claim that Premier League match officials conspired with Sky Sports to cover up the VAR mistake during Liverpool’s defeat at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday. The referees’ body has faced severe criticism over the error, in which VAR Darren England misunderstood an on-field decision and allowed a legitimate goal by Liverpool’s Luis Diaz to be chalked off for offside. He failed to alert his colleagues on the pitch, telling his replay operator “there’s nothing I can do” as the match continued. The incident sparked online conspiracy theories around football’s governance plotting against Liverpool. And Foster weighed in when he accused both the PGMOL and its VAR team at Premier League headquarters of putting direct pressure on Sky Sports not to broadcast replays of the incident. Speaking on his YouTube channel Ben Foster - The Cycling GK which has 1.4 million subscribers, the former Premier League goalkeeper said there was only one replay shown of the offside goal in its immediate aftermath, and his suspicions were further raised when the incident was only briefly discussed by Sky Sports’ pundits at half-time. “That tells me Sky are in bed with the people at VAR and [the PGMOL],” he claimed. “Because they must have got straight on the phone and said ‘do not highlight the fact that we’ve cocked up here, do not show it, do not bad-mouth us, do not nothing’. “I guarantee you that’s what’s happened. So that’s why Sky were under direct orders to not say a single word about it.” The Independent understands that the PGMOL feels Foster’s allegations are unfounded and completely untrue. The Premier League’s match centre, rather than the PGMOL, communicates only factual information to broadcasters, and it is understood that the referees’ body has no say or sway in what TV companies show. Indeed Sky Sports would have leapt at the chance to highlight a major VAR mistake, and did so once it had clarification of the error. Sky Sports did not want to comment on Foster’s claims, but sources pointed out that the half-time segment of the programme needed to cover two goals and a red card in an action-packed first half. The broadcaster later read out a PGMOL statement live on air and has since delved into extensive coverage of the incident, unpicking the moment in detail both on its Sky Sports News programmes and during Monday Night Football. Analyst Jamie Carragher criticised the decision by England not to intervene and halt the game once he understood that the wrong decision had been taken. “The bit where I’m really struggling is that they [VAR officials] must know within two seconds because Tottenham have taken a free-kick,” Carragher said. “I’d be screaming at the referee that a mistake has been made but maybe they’re saying they have to wait until the ball goes out of play. They’re saying they stayed with protocol, that they’re not allowed to stop [the match] but I don’t believe that. They panicked, they froze. “I know that’s the rule but that’s a red-tape rule. If they had reversed it, we’d have been praising their leadership. “There’s talk that the officials didn’t know until half-time that a mistake had been made but when that ball goes out of play [after the incident] the look on that referee’s face... it’s a look of something has gone wrong.” The Independent has contacted Foster’s representatives for comment. Read More Man United and Tottenham eye move for Atletico Madrid’s transfer guru Arsenal head coach Jonas Eidevall signs new long-term contract Manchester City can put a stamp on the season with Arsenal win – Rico Lewis Man United and Tottenham eye move for Atletico Madrid’s transfer guru Arsenal head coach Jonas Eidevall signs new long-term contract Manchester City can put a stamp on the season with Arsenal win – Rico Lewis
2023-10-05 19:37

When Does Rocket League Season 7 End?
Rocket League season seven is ending next week, the same time season eight is beginning
1970-01-01 08:00

White House Opens Accounts for Biden, Harris on Meta's Threads
White House officials have opened accounts on the social media platform Threads, days after they condemned Elon Musk’s
2023-11-21 06:28

'Ferrari' review: Michael Mann returns with a scattered but impactful biopic
Ferrari isn't just Michael Mann's first feature in eight years; it's also the first one
2023-09-01 01:00

Lionel Messi warns Argentina-Brazil fan trouble ‘could have been a tragedy’
Lionel Messi said there “could have been a tragedy” after police clashed with fans during Argentina’s World Cup qualifier against rivals Brazil at the Maracana in Rio. The match was delayed by half an hour following crowd trouble in the stands, which started before kick-off and during the national anthems. In response, Brazilian police charged at the Argentina fans, with the fighting taking place in a section of the stadium that contained the visiting players’ families and friends. Some Argentina supporters ripped up seats to throw at the police, who were wielding batons, while others attempted to escape the scene. Led by Messi, the Argentina players went over to try and calm the situation. Images showed the Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez trying to grab a baton from a police officer’s hand as the Argentina players appealed for the fighting to stop. The World Cup winners then left the pitch and returned to the dressing room for more than 10 minutes. When the match eventually resumed, Argentina won a bad-tempered qualifier 1-0 to leave Brazil in crisis after suffering their third straight defeat. The clashes in the stands occurred just two weeks after similar scenes at the Copa Libertadores final between Brazilian side Fluminense and Argentine giants Boca Juniors, which was also held at the iconic Maracana stadium. “It was bad because we saw how they were beating people,” Messi told reporters after the match. “The police, as happened in the Libertadores final, were once again repressing the people with night sticks. “We went to the locker room because it was the best way to calm everything down, it could have ended in tragedy. “You think about the families, the people who are there, who don’t know what’s going on and we were more concerned about that than playing a match that, at that point, was of secondary importance.” The Argentina players were joined by Brazil captain Marquinhos as they appealed for calm in the stands. The defender said: “We were worried about the families, women and children that we were seeing in panic up there in the stands. “Down on the pitch it was hard for us to understand what was going on, it was a very scary situation.” On the pitch, Argentina took a huge step towards qualifying for the 2026 World Cup as Nicolas Otamendi’s header secured a 1-0 win, but the match was littered with fouls, skirmishes and cards. Brazil finished with 10 men after Newcastle’s Joelinton was sent off for hitting Argentina’s Rodrigo de Paul in the face. Brazil have now lost successive matches to Uruguay, Colombia and Argentina and are eight points behind the world champions in the qualifying table. The five-time World Cup winners sit sixth, which is the last spot that guarantees qualifying for the finals, after six rounds.
2023-11-22 17:55

Who is Abel Giovani Nava? Texas man admits murdering his wife because of 'jealousy problems'
Abel Nava was charged with first-degree murder and is in custody at Carrizales-Rucker Detention Facility
2023-08-19 03:46

Runner Caster Semenya was discriminated against, European rights court rules
Double Olympic 800m champion Caster Semenya was discriminated against by rules requiring her to lower her testosterone levels, the European Court of Human Rights found...
2023-07-11 20:59

Nikola Vucevic agrees to a 3-year, $60 million extension with the Bulls
The Chicago Bulls and center Nikola Vucevic have agreed to a $60 million, three-year extension, keeping the two-time All-Star off the free agent market
2023-06-29 05:37
You Might Like...

EU Makes Deal to Advance Controversial Nature-Restoring Law

Who was Joan Meyer? Kansas newspaper co-owner, 98, dies after 'hours of shock and grief' over police raid

Cocoa Factories Are Slowing Down, Spelling Trouble for $117 Billion Chocolate Industry

Rolex or Faux-lex? Custom officers find fake luxury watches worth over $1.2 million at LAX

Liverpool see late Jarell Quansah goal ruled out and slip to defeat in Toulouse

Is Kelly Ripa stepping down? 'Live' co-host admits she considers retirement with 'great interest'

Prada explores lightness with translucent chiffon for summer 2024

San Jose Earthquakes 1 - 1 FC Dallas: Player ratings as Toros find late equalizer out west